Now This is Scary

Missileer

NEWARK, N.J. - A British businessman convicted of trying to smuggle shoulder-launched missiles into the United States was sentenced Monday to 47 years in prison, effectively a life sentence for the elderly man.

The plot involved the sale of missiles to a group that Hemant Lakhani, 70, thought would use them to shoot down commercial airliners. The weapons’ buyer and seller were actually government agents.

Lakhani was convicted in April of attempting to provide material support to terrorists, unlawful brokering of foreign defense articles and attempting to import merchandise into the U.S. by means of false statements, plus two counts of money laundering.

Federal prosecutors were seeking the maximum on each count, for a total of 67 years.

U.S. District Judge Katharine Hayden rejected pleas for leniency from Lakhani and his wife, referring to what she called his “reprehensible conduct.”

Lakhani’s trial defense hinged on the argument that he was the victim of government entrapment.

He was arrested in August 2003 at a hotel near Newark Liberty International Airport where he had been meeting with a government informant posing as a representative of a Somali-based militant group.

The government asserted that Lakhani planned to arrange the sale of at least 50 more missiles after the sale of the first one.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9317349/

I remember this case. On top of it the undercover FBI was posing as a al-Qaida member, so the SOB knew he was selling Iglas to al-Qaida. And he was doing it for money to boot.

I know its a horrible thing to say. But sometimes I cannot help but feel thats those that deliberately target innocent civilians in acts of terrorism should have their own families forfeited as a result of their actions. Obviously they care nothing for their victims or even their own lives, but what about their wifes, parents and children? I wonder...

Sorry if I offended anyone, I was just venting...

"As ye sow, so shall ye reap." -Madame Queen to a dying Dutch Schultz

In a way he did. He is essentially serving a life sentence.

I personally feel that those that do this sort of thing, betray innocents and endanger innocent people, that they should in turn be held accountable for all the lives that could or would have been lost. He got what he deserved for a certainty. Furthermore, I feel that those that are held accountable and are undeniably guilty - seems he was guilty from the outset since he sold them to an undercover agent - should be removed from society. . . permanently.

too bad there's nothing we can do to take away some of those previous years for such a crime! We need a time traveling device so we can have him imprisoned since 1975 so he can live out all 47 of his years.

Yeah, entrapment? Please. You can get entraped into buying cocaine or a prostitute... not buying shoulder-fired missiles for who you think is an al-quaida agent who wants to shoot down commercial airliners.

That's truly one of the scariest possibilities around today. Every time I've taken off or landed since 9/11, the thought of who could be hiding in the treelines at the end of the runway flashes through my mind. Scum like that should get to live out their lives in a cell with 3 other large, horny guys.

Spread the word in prison of why he's in there. His life term might be cut short if you know what I mean. :firedevi:

5.56X45mm said:
Spread the word in prison of why he's in there. His life term might be cut short if you know what I mean. :firedevi:

Thats a true statement, however I think they will keep him alive, the government might be interested to know what other customers he had dealth with.

Phoenix

The Russian FSB deserves credit here, they were the ones that discovered the plot and tipped off the FBI. They also provided the dummy Iglas for him to sell to the undercover agents. Very good police work.

This is how things fall into place with international cooperation. This destructive mindset must be met with smart police work and quick punishment, otherwise, there is not a Country on Earth that will not be affected in some way by true terrorism committed by people with enough money and determination to make it happen. The money and determination is there.

Back