Not my Flag!!!!! - Page 4

--
Boots

January 22nd, 2005  
Chinaman

meh its usa, he could do wuteverthehellhewants

Removed by Admin! Watch your language..

but the flag part was too far, he could've done it with a conferderate flag cuz bush is from the distant south
January 22nd, 2005  
r031Button

It's always odd to me that Americans get so worked up about a symbol; I mean hell, the Olympic Hockey team for the US had a Canadian flag on the floor of it's locker room; don't see us getting upset; nor did we get upset when the marines hoisted the Canadian flag upside down. Different culture I suppose.
January 22nd, 2005  
Charge 7

Well the Maple Leaf Flag is what? 50 years old? You don't have the history with it that we do with the Stars and Stripes. Also, those very stars are a visible sign of our union - the bars a sign of our hard fought for independance. I will admit, however, that having a Canadian flag on a US hockey team locker room floor was poorly done. I'll have to take your word on that though as I have no knowledge of it. I'm sure the feeling though was in regards to your hockey team though and not your nation. Not really the same thing as the picture at the start of this topic.

A little note about the flag flying upside down: it is actually an international sign of distress to fly the flag upside down. In such circumstances it is perfectly acceptable to do so. I once lived next to a cemetary. There was a large US flag flying next to a monument listing the town's war dead from all wars since the Revolution (yep we're that old a state). Tombstones immediately next to it were all war dead. I caught a young man hauling down the flag and starting to send it back up upside down. His idea of a protest I guess. I just peacefully walked up to him and asked him if he was in distress. He gave me a puzzled look and I explained the use as a distress symbol. He now seemed embarassed and answered "no". So I then asked him if it was his flag. He again said "no". I told him that flag belonged to the men buried beneath it and he had no right to do anything to it. I suggested if he felt the need to do something to a flag that there was a hardware store down the street and he could go buy one and do as he pleased with it. The law allows that, but it doesn't allow taking away the flag of those honored dead. He looked really ashamed now and just turned and walked away after I made sure he put the flag rightside up.
--
Boots
January 22nd, 2005  
chewie_nz

maybe these people have lost all belief in your flag because of the current administration and the things being done overseas.

desicrating a flag is a very powerful statement, and i think a valid one.

~THIS IS NOT MY FLAG, IT DOES NOT REPRESENT MY BELIEFS OR THE COUNTRY I BELIEVE IN AND THESE ACTIONS ARE NOT BEING DONE IN MY NAME~

just a thought and i know almost none of you will agree.
January 22nd, 2005  
implicature

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewie_nz
maybe these people have lost all belief in your flag because of the current administration and the things being done overseas.

~THIS IS NOT MY FLAG, IT DOES NOT REPRESENT MY BELIEFS OR THE COUNTRY I BELIEVE IN AND THESE ACTIONS ARE NOT BEING DONE IN MY NAME~

Doing my best to be as unbiased as i can i must say that if a country's national symbol does not represent anything you believe or support you should in no way take part in supporting that said country. Be it by purchases, paying taxes or by rallying your voice on a political topic. if you do not care about anything that country stands for then by default you should not be there. whether you respect it or not is beside the point... if you don't like what it stands for or believes in or fights for you shouldn't care enough to fight one way or the other... and the actions aren't being done in your name until you put YOUR life on the line and stand up for what you believe in... this is striclty the opinion of a civilian that is not even close to being a service man!
January 22nd, 2005  
chewie_nz

Quote:
Originally Posted by implicature
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewie_nz

Doing my best to be as unbiased as i can i must say that if a country's national symbol does not represent anything you believe or support you should in no way take part in supporting that said country. Be it by purchases, paying taxes or by rallying your voice on a political topic. if you do not care about anything that country stands for then by default you should not be there. whether you respect it or not is beside the point... if you don't like what it stands for or believes in or fights for you shouldn't care enough to fight one way or the other... and the actions aren't being done in your name until you put YOUR life on the line and stand up for what you believe in... this is striclty the opinion of a civilian that is not even close to being a service man!
what? rather than try and change it? and believe me, i'd LOVE to stop paying taxes! lol

when the US invaded another country on trumped up excuses to "defend the homeland" then these wrongs ARE being done in the name of every american. if it was me in that position, i'd be pretty pissed too...and starting to look around for symbols of what i don't agree with to show my rage

all the good that the US flag used to stand for is steadily being eroded by the actions of bush and cohorts.

just the opinion of an ignorant foreigner
January 22nd, 2005  
A Can of Man

Chewie, America's a divided country. The street marching hippies are the ones that are actually furthest away from the original American mindset. I believe the organization called A.N.S.W.E.R. is actually a Marxist movement and it funds a lot of those anti-Bush rallies. Communism is about the furthest thing you could be from American. If you don't think so, you obviously know zlich about America.
I think you should pull out your America credentials before you make that statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r031Button
It's always odd to me that Americans get so worked up about a symbol; I mean h**l, the Olympic Hockey team for the US had a Canadian flag on the floor of it's locker room; don't see us getting upset; nor did we get upset when the marines hoisted the Canadian flag upside down. Different culture I suppose.
That was totally not cool. But I think the point this time was that it was people of THAT country burning their own flag. But either way those American guys were definately in the wrong when doing that.
January 22nd, 2005  
chewie_nz

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
Chewie, America's a divided country. The street marching hippies are the ones that are actually furthest away from the original American mindset. I believe the organization called A.N.S.W.E.R. is actually a Marxist movement and it funds a lot of those anti-Bush rallies. Communism is about the furthest thing you could be from American. If you don't think so, you obviously know zlich about America.
I think you should pull out your America credentials before you make that statement.
my americans credentials are clearly on display all through this forum.
i am a VERY interested observer, i don't pretend to be an expert and only try to offer my own opinion. alternative point of view and all that.

i don't mind having to defend my views.

but back to the topic at hand;

http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/wpnz/...lagburning.htm

a case of flag burning in NZ
January 22nd, 2005  
Charge 7

Um, sorry, but Bush = Flag does not compute. Your country is your country. If you feel it's not performing along the lines you'd like then do something constructive to change it. Desicrating a flag is a wimpy way to say you're unhappy with the government. Easy thing to do. Real change takes work. Oh, and I imagine these people who so readily desicrate the flag and say it's not their country would be screaming bloody murder if anybody took them up on that and ejected them from a country they don't feel is their's. The flag represents us all - not an administration.
January 22nd, 2005  
chewie_nz

easily identifiable icon for america.

bald eagle....not enough of those to burn
TV.....who would burn that! TV's great!
McDonalds....not a bad idea.....

all the above are too hard to burn....looks like it has to be a piece of cloth.

it is merely a representation of ideas and beliefs. the true home of these feelings is in you and can't be cheapened no matter what anyone else does