Norwegian Navy

Probably. But in the Norwegian inshore waters there is a lot of fjords, small islands, sheltered bays and such, and this boat is'nt big. In addition it does 40 knots + I think. How do you take out something like that? Speed and agility rocks!
Huh, yeh that can reak havok with radars? 40 knots isnt much of a challenge for a guided missile.

Rocks deflect radar = they have to be in the fjord to see the ship, and if they are that close a radar is not directly needed. It wont get that close to it either so it would be hard to catch it. And it is stealth, its built on simular ways that of Visby class corvetts if im not misstaken. And you don't make anything stealthy to a 1980s radar, you make it stealth to the best present radar, or it would be pointless to build it.

Rabs said:
That is a nice little boat.

Im not to sure on the stealth stuff, the radars on capital ships just got to much power.

It doesnt matter how much power a radar have, if all energi is deflected away in another direction then that of the radar reciver, it will remain undetected on the radar, it will be "invisible", that is what radar stealth is all about, deflect as much energi in another direction as possible then that of the incoming path.

Last edited:
It doesnt matter how much power a radar have, if all energi is deflected away in another direction then that of the radar reciver, it will remain undetected on the radar, it will be "invisible", that is what radar stealth is all about, deflect as much energi in another direction as possible then that of the incoming path.
Bull, you channel enough energy down a narrow bearing you will get a return. If we cant a raptor 100% stealthy, I doubt a boat can.

Also the Israeli boat had some stealth features and it just got a missile up its rear.

I never said it was 100% stealthy. I said if something deflect all the radar energy in another direction then the reciver, it will be 100% stealthy. I never said that boat could deflect all energy, nor Visby class, but its the way stealth works. My point is if you deflect all radar energy it wont matter how powerfull that radar is as its signals are being reflected away from the reciver as a radar gives an image of the returning radar energy.

The horizon and absorbing materials are the key words here.

The earth isn't flat, it happens to be round, making the best place for a ships captain to be at at war is below the horizon for the enemy radars. When his ship is partly above the horizon the usage of absorbing composite materials comes in handy to absorbe the radar signals and to not return them to the radar screen of the enemy. Some energy will be returned but it will be hard to make a good signature out of it.

Red Storm Rising on the C=64 can be higher learning :type:

Last edited:
Besides, the doctrine of the MTB-skippers has always been to become a part of the rock, cliff or whatever they're moored at, then at the right moment burst into action, before they diasappear into thin air again.

Usually by going full speed in waters where boats are'nt supposed to go. :-o

The Strb 90 H is the main vessel for transporting the Amphibious battalions (Nowdays the Amphib corps).
The missile the missile squads are using is the laser guided RBS17 (missile system 17).
Bofors defence modified the hellfire missile for an Anti ship role and the end result were so good that the US bought back the changed missile system.
The missile were so accurate that you could place two or more missiles "hole in hole" .
Shooting out the engineroom and/or a bridge is no problem.
The Russian landingship "Ivan Rogov" class were in the target package.
The Ivan Rogov class was a six missile target.
The biggest advantage the system has is that it can be carried by a six to eight man Team including reload missiles.

However, an aircraft carrier coming in range of this weaponsystem is highly unlikely.
The system is intended for use in the archipelago where the Strb90,s can move around between the islands in high speed and very close to the islands due to it´s shallow hull.

The later models of Strb90,s as well as some export versions sport the lemur automatic cannon system.
Older versions had the gunner stand up on deck with a .50 cal HMG or Mk19.

I´ve got some old pictures laying around somewhere from my time at Amphib.
I´ll see if I can locate them.

Bull, you channel enough energy down a narrow bearing you will get a return. If we cant a raptor 100% stealthy, I doubt a boat can.

Also the Israeli boat had some stealth features and it just got a missile up its rear.

Sure if you place the Raptor behind a rock below the horizon you could get that stealthy as hell too..
Radars can not see through rock.
Thus if you place any given vehicle behind lets say a mountain no radar will see it.
The radar will see a big rock.

Heavily armed small vessels have always represented a serious threath to naval forces, from the age of small gunboats to the latest missile-torpedo boats.

Knowing crews and skippers I can tell they're drilled to lay still in cover and just wait for days and weeks (like snipers) for a possible target, without giving away their position in any way.

Among the MTB skippers you have the "Order of the broken tulip" awarded to those who somehow manage to run their boat on shore or hit a rock.
Once there was a skipper who got "the tulip" for running two boats a ground on the same occation, and it wasn't his boat! :-o

Story goes that it was a NATO exercise, and after an "attack" he was chased by two foreign MTB's tailing him in order to get a "kill" on him.
Knowing his own boat, and the area they were in he went full speed through a long narrow passage between two small islands, actually more like one island cut in two pieces.
He came through without a scratch, but the MTB's tailing him wasn't that lucky.
Seeing him going through they thought they could do the same, but the first boat had "moved" away too much water and the passage was suddenly too shallow for the other boats draft...
So they got stuck on the sandy bottom, and the second of the tailing boats crashed into the first...

Back