Norway calls for ban on cluster bombs

sunb!

Forum Barbecuer
Source Norwaypost.com

Norway will now take an initiative to reach an agreement on an international ban on cluster weapons. Foreign Minister Jonas Gahr Stoere will early next year call a meeting of concerned countries in Oslo.

The hope is that this will be the start of a process which will end in an agreement on an international ban.

100 nations have for several years discussed a ban on cluster weapons, but have failed to reach agreement.

- We acknowledge that the established international negotiations aimed at reaching an agreement will not succeed. We therefore believe that we must take a more direct approach, Foreign Minister Stoere says to NRK.
He likens this process to what happened wiith anti-personnel mines in the 1990s. The agreement on a ban on landmines in 1997 will be a model for the work for a ban on cluster weapons, Stoere says.

Human Rights Watch has welcomed the Norwegian iniative, saying it represents a watershed in the international fight for achieving a ban on cluster weapons.
(NRK)

I , am not sure what to say.

I mean, even if many world leaders from nations all over the world. That may increae Norway's security, as well as that of the other nations who enforce these rules and regulations.

But, if they are trying to stop blood shed world wide due to cluster weapons. Then, I really hate to say this, I know it sounds wrong.

But I belive they would surely fail at that.

Back