North korea-do we strike

pacnan77

how much in the way of deplomacy can be continued all efforts been ignored while NK continues with its nukes will there have to be a military response to get here attention?

Wow, a new way of spamming. Using avatars!

Rofl yeah, never saw that one coming.

Well I guess the only thing that is actually stopping the US from bombing the living daylights out of DPRK [I think their main fighter jet is a version of a MiG-21 and that their main tanks are T-55's] could be a response from China or Russia [More likely China, I dont think Medvedev/Putin give a rats fart about DPRK].

I dont think the US [Or anyone really] would want to mess about with China [Being so important to the economy as they are]

There's a lot of information on the web and here regarding this issue.

Whatever action is taken against North Korea you have to consider this one fact: even according to US Army estimates, about 1 million South Korean civilians alone will die in the opening 24 hours of hostilities from North Korean artillery and rocket attacks. Whatever you do, it better justify such a staggeringly high number of civilian dead.
That's only in the opening 24 hours mind you.
After the first 24 hours, it'll depend on many factors.

There's a lot of information on the web and here regarding this issue.

Whatever action is taken against North Korea you have to consider this one fact: even according to US Army estimates, about 1 million South Korean civilians alone will die in the opening 24 hours of hostilities from North Korean artillery and rocket attacks. Whatever you do, it better justify such a staggeringly high number of civilian dead.
That's only in the opening 24 hours mind you.
After the first 24 hours, it'll depend on many factors.

Doesnt DPRK have nukes though? Sure, maybe not ICBM ones that could 'Apparently' reach Alaska [Some ass seemed to think it was true in another topic], but they probably do have some nukes. If they did, wouldnt there be a lot more deaths in the first 24 hours?

Their nuke is too heavy to put on any ICBM they have currently and their Alaska reaching missiles can only go that far with a near empty payload and its accuracy is so bad that odds are that it'll just blow up a bunch of sea water, rock and if they're really lucky, manage to bag a bear.
Most people who know about the situation here aren't so worried about the Nukes, but rather the conventional weapons and chemical weapons which North Korea has plenty of. If they use chemical weapons in their attack on Seoul, the death rate will be unimaginable.
So in order to cause massive casualties, the North Koreans have the capability, but as for the Nuke, it's more of a political tool than anything else.

The US will not touch North Korea unless they strike first; the losses would be too great.

There is one scenario in which the US and the rest of the world will be left no choice but to strike first: if North Korea sells WMDs to terrorists.
It will make North Korea a supplier of WMDs to terrorist groups and will therefore be a clear and present danger to the rest of the world.

There is one scenario in which the US and the rest of the world will be left no choice but to strike first: if North Korea sells WMDs to terrorists.
It will make North Korea a supplier of WMDs to terrorist groups and will therefore be a clear and present danger to the rest of the world.
They'd be a tough nut to crack, or @ least have a manufactured rep on that. From what I've heard Reagan had about = evidence that Syria was as involved in the German Club bombing as Libya, but Libya was considered to be totally inept militarily, where Syria was somewhat less so. If Reagan wouldn't go after Syria, I can't see Obama starting something with N.K. unless an attack on us that was easily traceable through Terrorists back to N.K.

Yeah. One dirty bomb goes BOOM. Everybody who might have sold it is gettin waxed or other bad stuff.

Far as the Syria angle. In the 80's it was no secert that Syria supported Libya in it's endeavor. Syria stayed outta that particular mix because Ghaddaffi ran is pie hole and claimed responsibilty.

A dirty bomb probably doesn't even have to go off. If North Korea is caught in the act of selling that stuff, that might make striking North Korea off the map unavoidable. If they get caught in the act of trying it once, there's no saying when they'll try again or if they'll succeed or not.
If they are willing suppliers of WMDs to terrorists, it's over for them.

I just hope they have a good evacuation plan for Seoul... or maybe some way of getting people out quietly without the North knowing. I really doubt NK will do anything, their leader is nuts but he doesn't strike me as suicidal.

Officially there are 24 million people in the Seoul metropolitan area including Incheon and large parts of Gyungido (which are basically the same city now that they've all expanded into each other). A real evacation is impossible.

Given that NK Arty can pretty much range Seoul can't see that there would time for an evacuation anyway.

Back