North Korea as sovereign state

Should North Korea be recognized as a sovereign state?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

• depends

• Total voters

Duty Honor Country

Last week, US Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice called North Korea ""a sovereign state," becoming the highest US official to verbally recognize the sovereignty of North Korea. In the past months she had indignated North Korea by referring to it as an "outpost of tyranny.""
http://theseoultimes.com/ST/?url=/ST/db/read.php?idx=1648

The whole sovereign state thing was used to draw NK back to the nuclear negotiation table. There was also a promise by the US not to invade.

I am not sure if I total agree with this move.

Hmmm...

NK was never recognized as a Sovereign State by the international bodies? I didn't know that.

I say just wait until the winds are all blowing out to sea then nuke the bastards.

There wouldn't be much of a state left to be sovereign.

I think sovereign means something like independent, right? If the NK is not independent, what else can they be?

Whispering Death said:
I say just wait until the winds are all blowing out to sea then nuke the bastards.

There wouldn't be much of a state left to be sovereign.

If you are going to say anything at all atleast say something intelligent. This will hurt relations with the surrounding countries. I don't think Russia or China will take having nukes blown up on their door step.

I knew few countries in the world (unfortunately mine's one of them, damn leftist gov of the late 90s) recognized NK, but I never learned about the reasons why some do and some others don't.

Italian guy the united states is still techincally in a state of war with N. Korea so its kind hard to recognize someone as sovereign when your were fighting a war with them to end that sovereignty.

Rabs said:
Italian guy the united states is still techincally in a state of war with N. Korea so its kind hard to recognize someone as sovereign when your were fighting a war with them to end that sovereignty.

Is that the reason why? The US went to war against NK under the UN umbrella and it wasn't the only country that did. It was the UN vs NK, technically.

On July 27, 1953, an armistice was signed ending the actual combat of the Korean War. The armistice is an agreement to stop fighting temporarily, a cease fire. A final agreement, a peace treaty has yet to be signed.

Has South Korea been recognized as a "Sovereign State?" I thought both countries were collectively referred to as "Korea" by the international community.

If they want to be an independent state then good luck to them, but there again if they want to spend all their monies on arms, why should the free world feed them

Back