North Korea Gives up Nukes

--

September 19th, 2005  
Duty Honor Country

Topic: North Korea Gives up Nukes

That healine threw caught me off guard. Anyone think that North Korea will stay the course? Maybe the movie Team America put them in their place

BEIJING, China (CNN) -- Nearly three years after ordering U.N. nuclear inspectors out of the country, North Korea Monday agreed to give up its entire nuclear program, including weapons, a joint statement from six-party nuclear arms talks in Beijing said.

"This is the most important result since the six-party talks started more than two years ago," said Chinese Vice Foreign Minister Wu Dawei, Beijing's envoy, in a report from The Associated Press.

In exchange, the United States, China, Japan, Russia and South Korea have "stated their willingness" to provide energy assistance to North Korea, as well as promote economic cooperation...

READ MORE
September 19th, 2005  
phoenix80

There were three in the axis of evil. Soon there will be one. Now the world will be looking to Iran.
September 19th, 2005  
LeEnfield

If they agree to this I wonder how long it will last before they want some thing else and then go back to making bombs again. It would appear that they are just twisting some ones arm to get more money and goods out of them, but it is cheaper than going to war.
--
September 20th, 2005  
Locke

do you trust them to stick to thier word.
they have backed out of this sort of thing before....
September 20th, 2005  
Rabs

I hate to start something here Locke but whats your soultion. I take it you dont support military action, talks dont work, what should we have done.
September 20th, 2005  
Whispering Death

Well if you've been following the news, the skepticism of Locke and myself seems to be validated.

Now N.Korea is saying they are only going to agree to the treaty they signed yesterday if America buys them a nuclear reactor
September 20th, 2005  
LeEnfield

I see that today they are requesting that America supplies them with the latest nuclear reactor before they do any thing else.
September 20th, 2005  
mmarsh

Here is the link

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/as...lks/index.html

Unfortunatly it looks like the North Koreas are already renegiogating the treaty even before it was signed. I seriously doubt the US will give the North Koreans a reactor in exchange for a promise, espically considering the North has a history of not honoring its promises.

Back to Square 1 again I'm afraid...
September 20th, 2005  
phoenix80

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeEnfield
I see that today they are requesting that America supplies them with the latest nuclear reactor before they do any thing else.
oh yeah! LoL
That is funny!
September 20th, 2005  
Rabs

Give them a re-actor manned my americans?