North Korea Gives up Nukes

Duty Honor Country

That healine threw caught me off guard. Anyone think that North Korea will stay the course? Maybe the movie Team America put them in their place :D

BEIJING, China (CNN) -- Nearly three years after ordering U.N. nuclear inspectors out of the country, North Korea Monday agreed to give up its entire nuclear program, including weapons, a joint statement from six-party nuclear arms talks in Beijing said.

"This is the most important result since the six-party talks started more than two years ago," said Chinese Vice Foreign Minister Wu Dawei, Beijing's envoy, in a report from The Associated Press.

In exchange, the United States, China, Japan, Russia and South Korea have "stated their willingness" to provide energy assistance to North Korea, as well as promote economic cooperation...

READ MORE

If they agree to this I wonder how long it will last before they want some thing else and then go back to making bombs again. It would appear that they are just twisting some ones arm to get more money and goods out of them, but it is cheaper than going to war.

do you trust them to stick to thier word.
they have backed out of this sort of thing before....

I hate to start something here Locke but whats your soultion. I take it you dont support military action, talks dont work, what should we have done.

Well if you've been following the news, the skepticism of Locke and myself seems to be validated.

Now N.Korea is saying they are only going to agree to the treaty they signed yesterday if America buys them a nuclear reactor :roll:

I see that today they are requesting that America supplies them with the latest nuclear reactor before they do any thing else.

bulldogg said:
Less than 24 hours Doody... this is a classic example of buyer remorse. hehe

I thought the same thing. I believe President Clinton agreed to a plan where the US would build a few reactors that were not capible of producing nuclear weapons grade material. The question is will the Bush camp do it?

Doody said:
bulldogg said:
Less than 24 hours Doody... this is a classic example of buyer remorse. hehe

I thought the same thing. I believe President Clinton agreed to a plan where the US would build a few reactors that were not capible of producing nuclear weapons grade material. The question is will the Bush camp do it?

Science was never my schtick, is that even possible? I though all reactors produce unspend uranium/plutonium and that this unspent fuelcould be used for weapons grade material...

1) Bush adminitration would NEVER do it.
2) they are requesting a light-water reactor which is supposedly one of the hardest types of reactors to turn into nuclear weapons.
3) A light water reactor would take 10 years to create, so even if we DID give it to them... they could come back and say "it's still not done yet, when you're done with it THEN we'll stop our nuclear weapons"

Back