Norman Schwartzkopf R.I.P.

Rest in Peace General - you earned it.

Schwarzkopf_zps72412d74.jpg

There can be no doubt as to the mans military prowess, but, like Patton before him, he could be a real ass-hole.

Did you ever meet him Mike?

Back in Desert Storm, I found him to be rather nice (for a General). He treated us Brits like one of his own.

A very big guy as I recall? Easily 6ft 4" tall and 240 pounds.

Did you ever meet him Mike?

Back in Desert Storm, I found him to be rather nice (for a General). He treated us Brits like one of his own.

A very big guy as I recall? Easily 6ft 4" tall and 240 pounds.

No I have not met him, I'm going on soldiers who had served under him during the Gulf War and before.
I don't mean to be derogatory - just like Patton and others, being an ass hole may be an asset for a commander.

Last edited:
No I have not met him, I'm going on soldiers who had served under him during the Gulf Was and before.
I don't mean to be derogatory - just like Patton and others, being an ass hole may be an asset for a commander.

I didn't think you were being derogatory, the thought never crossed my mind. :)

I probably came across as too blunt with my question as to whether you'd met him. I was genuinely interested in hearing from someone who might have known him.

From personal experience, you cannot be a commander without being an arsehole tbh. It's not their job to make friends with those serving under them. Only respect matters and he was highly respected by all.

He was a leader; I will miss him. To be a leader....some of us have it, others don't. Norman was a leader; I will light a candle for him and say "you showed the way, Sir.”

Below are 10 quotes from Gen. Schwarzkopf that encapsulate his views on leadership and war.

10) “Do what is right, not what you think the high headquarters wants or what you think will make you look good."

9) “You learn far more from negative leadership than positive leadership. Because you learn how not to do it.”

8) “War is a profane thing.”

7) “The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it.”

6) “True courage is being afraid, and going ahead and doing your job anyhow, that’s what courage is.”

5) “It doesn’t take a hero to order men into battle. It takes a hero to be one of those men who goes into battle.”

4) “When placed in command, take charge.”

3) “The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in battle.”

2) “Any soldier worth his salt should be antiwar; and still there are things worth fighting for.”

1) “Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without strategy.”

I also loved, arguably, his most famous quote:

"As far as Saddam Hussein being a great military strategist, he is neither a strategist, nor is he schooled in the operational arts, nor is he a tactician, nor is he a general, nor is he a soldier. Other than that, he's a great military man, I want you to know that."

A truly exceptional leader.

A soldier dies only when God gives the order. The great General joined his troops.
May he rest in peace

Back