is it normal?

Hi iam soon to join the royal navy and i cant wait to join and to serve my country but i have no great desire to die i mean iam scared to die and iam wondering if this might effect my job (courage or lack of it) however i feel its my duty as i better put my patronism to good use instead of a working in a office. iam wondering if anyone else has these feelings or iam just a coward. :oops:

You are not a coward. Very few people are willing to die for their country, after all, it is a high price (freedom isn’t free). Rather than be willing to die for one’s country, most military folk develop a willingness to die for their friends (comrades in arms). These are the true heroes. By joining the military, you do not automatically shed fear of death. You are simply willing to take the risk of death, and by doing so, you have elevated yourself above those too timid. This is not to say all non-military people are timid. There are heroes in all walks of life who display courage daily.

Bravery is being unafraid. Courage is being afraid, but doing it anyway. Simply put: you are courageous for joining the military. You said it yourself: “I feel it’s my duty as I better put my patriotism to good use instead of a working in an office.” The answer to your other question: No, this will not affect your job. You are not alone.

Congratulations on your choice. The military is the most honorable of professions.

i have your same fear. and another fear that i will have to over come to acheive my goal of entering the marines is parachuting. i really dont think i could handle it. :cry:

Marines dont parachute all that much unless your in a recon PLT. you do some repelling and stuff though which is a lot of fun :).

i hope you get over that fear "its not fear itself its what you do with that fear that is important" i forgot who said that but i think that quote applies to both of us. good luck :D

to an addition to my last statement, anyone in any MOS can attempt to get there jump wings :), just have to put a package in...

MilidarUSMC said:
to an addition to my last statement, anyone in any MOS can attempt to get there jump wings :), just have to put a package in...

Not likely to happen. The Corps generally only sends those with a required need. In the past, BAC has been offered as a re-up bonus, and is still available as an incentive - but very few are approved anymore, as the slots are being used for those that actually do need airborne training to fulfill the requirements of their MOS.

a lot of times its a re-enlistment bonus but every once in a while a command will get a couple spots up for grabs and send a couple of there Marines.

ill be damed if i know

Once you enter boot camp, you will be forced to feel like a soldier. You will become mentally NUMB & DUMB. That is one of the features of that place.

You'll be ready for big things right after graduation from boot camp.

That is what a soldier will be and should be.

Don't worry. You are not gonna die!

to them you are a piece of metal, ready to be moulded into a nice sharp sword.
of course you dont want to die, thats natural, who would do a job if they knew for sure that they would die as a result of it. you are given the training that if you do your job correctly, and those above you in the chain of command do thiers correctly, the chances of you being killed without having an adequate chance to defend yourself are greatly reduced

Don't worry about fear, the adrenaline that it produces comes in handy when you are risking your life.....just know that you may come to like it.
I served 4 years in the US Army 82nd ABN Div, and I had more fear as a Seargeant than as a Private. Because I knew more about what could go wrong. But It never stopped me from wanting to do my job. You will be trained in what to do in times of stress, and it is a very good, satisfying, feeling to complete your mission despite that stress, or fear. Also don't forget the long line of your countrymen throughout history that felt exactly the same way you feel now, they made it, as will you.

everyone (except a few :twisted:) are afraid to jump out of a plane or die but because you think bad things will happen you create more fear and then you get worked up. if you really think about it how many men have died becasue thier parachute didn't open or another fluke thing like that??
WE BELIEVE IN YOU FULLMETAL :p :p

Back