Noram Kember Rescued

LeEnfield

NEWS
Previous Page British Hostage Norman Kember Freed

Thursday, March 23, 2006
Source: Ananova

file10469.jpg
shim.gif

British hostage Norman Kember and two colleagues have been freed in Iraq, Foreign Secretary Jack Straw said.
Special forces released the men during an operation in Baghdad.
The Foreign Office appeared unable to confirm the news, but Mr Straw spoke to the BBC to announce the release and to say he had already spoken to Mr Kember's wife Pat.
Mr Straw said the military operation was a team effort which involved British forces.
Mr Kember, a retired professor, was seized during a peace mission to Baghdad on November 26.
The 74-year-old grandfather, a former medical physicist at a teaching hospital, was taken hostage with three fellow peace campaigners.
Mr Kember, 74, from Pinner, north-west London, was visiting the country with Christian Peacemaker Teams, a Canada-based international peace group.
The other men were Canadians James Loney, 41, and Harmeet Singh Sooden, 32, and an American, Tom Fox, 54.
Mr Fox was found shot dead in Baghdad earlier this month in the affluent Mansour district. There were signs that he had been beaten before being killed. The grim news raised the prospect that Mr Kember might meet the same fate.
Peace campaigner Bruce Kent, a friend of Mr Kember who has been involved in weekly vigils for his release since his capture, told Sky News: "This is news beyond belief. In this awful mess of Baghdad thank God there is one bright light anyway."

Another good job by the SAS

No just an anti war nut....while in his mid seventies he thought he could go out there and change the world. Some of the people with him had already been killed.

Doubtful. Most peace activists are so committed to their own fanaticism that his ordeal will be chalked up to a reaction that would not have occured were Iraq left unmolested from the get go.

Well, in the end, promoting dialogue and mutual respect lowers the temperature of any conflict. Reducing the tension on the ground makes everyone safer, including coalition forces, and to the extent that peace campaigners are able to achieve that, I think it is right to support them. Of course, one could argue about timing and methods, but if someone wants to put themselves in harms way to take the heat off our troops I say, "go team".

How is forcing coalition forces to commit troops to go and retrieve your less than intelligent self helping the team?

I don't see the connection as dialogue with amatuers accomplishing nothing. They don't have the authority or influence to affect anything so to my way of thinking all they do is muddy the water for the professionals trying to set things right.

These people were victims of a kidnapping and the legal authorities in such situations have a duty to commit resources. If that's inconvenient to the authorities, tough luck: commiting security resources to help the innocent is what we pay the authorities for. I rather think that three years after coalition forces went in, they should have the security situation under control.

As for influence, it's been interesting to note how much support there has been for their efforts in Iraq and in Arab countries. Why should people not have peaceful discussions on their own initiative with different communities if those communities want to talk with them? Leaving that to the "authorities" is an abrogation of personal responsibility.

Marinerhodes said:
Maybe now he realizes the fanaticism that grips the mind of the insurgents.

I doubt it!

These people never understand how the real world works out there. They are fanatically emotional and irrational and unable to digest the truth and they call themselves compassionate or whatever human being...

:-D

Kirruth said:
These people were victims of a kidnapping and the legal authorities in such situations have a duty to commit resources. If that's inconvenient to the authorities, tough luck: commiting security resources to help the innocent is what we pay the authorities for. I rather think that three years after coalition forces went in, they should have the security situation under control.
I understand and respect your position, I would respectfully disagree on a prime point. These people, regardless of motive, went into a war zone. They took an unusual and unnecessary risk. It is my opinion that since they purposefully put themselves in harm's way the authorities had no such obligation to put any troops in harm's way to retrieve them. The fact the SAS did is in my opinion going above and beyond any moral or ethical committment.

Kirruth said:
As for influence, it's been interesting to note how much support there has been for their efforts in Iraq and in Arab countries. Why should people not have peaceful discussions on their own initiative with different communities if those communities want to talk with them? Leaving that to the "authorities" is an abrogation of personal responsibility.
In my opinion their act of self-appointed negotiating is no different than a civilian doing the job of a law enforcement officer. In modern societies under the social contract with governments we abbrogate certain rights and obligations to those in positions of power that we have elected or appointed and they are then responsible. To then try and handle things ourselves is to throw a spanner in the works and confuse even more an already confused situation.

Last edited:
bulldogg said:
In my opinion their act of self-appointed negotiating is no different than a civilian doing the job of a law enforcement officer. In modern societies under the social contract with governments we abbrogate certain rights and obligations to those in positions of power that we have elected or appointed and they are then responsible.
Well, I do think Non Governmental Organisations should play a role in international affairs, especially in areas where governments don't have as much legitimacy as perhaps they should. We accept this in other situations, whether its Medecins Sans Frontiers in Sudan or Amnesty International in Russia and China. In conflict resolution, independent mediators have made some useful successes (most recently Alex Reid, the priest involved in moving the Basque group ETA into the mainstream).

What is also true is that Kember himself has been quoted as saying he wasn't sure if he was being heroic or foolhardy. Having spent some time in the West Bank and in Waziristan myself (not really on a peace mission, it must be said), there are some really tricky places in the world. Staying at home = choice of champions.

Back