Noram Kember Rescued - Page 2

--

March 25th, 2006  
phoenix80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinerhodes
Maybe now he realizes the fanaticism that grips the mind of the insurgents.
I doubt it!

These people never understand how the real world works out there. They are fanatically emotional and irrational and unable to digest the truth and they call themselves compassionate or whatever human being...

March 25th, 2006  
bulldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirruth
These people were victims of a kidnapping and the legal authorities in such situations have a duty to commit resources. If that's inconvenient to the authorities, tough luck: commiting security resources to help the innocent is what we pay the authorities for. I rather think that three years after coalition forces went in, they should have the security situation under control.
I understand and respect your position, I would respectfully disagree on a prime point. These people, regardless of motive, went into a war zone. They took an unusual and unnecessary risk. It is my opinion that since they purposefully put themselves in harm's way the authorities had no such obligation to put any troops in harm's way to retrieve them. The fact the SAS did is in my opinion going above and beyond any moral or ethical committment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirruth
As for influence, it's been interesting to note how much support there has been for their efforts in Iraq and in Arab countries. Why should people not have peaceful discussions on their own initiative with different communities if those communities want to talk with them? Leaving that to the "authorities" is an abrogation of personal responsibility.
In my opinion their act of self-appointed negotiating is no different than a civilian doing the job of a law enforcement officer. In modern societies under the social contract with governments we abbrogate certain rights and obligations to those in positions of power that we have elected or appointed and they are then responsible. To then try and handle things ourselves is to throw a spanner in the works and confuse even more an already confused situation.
March 26th, 2006  
Kirruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogg
In my opinion their act of self-appointed negotiating is no different than a civilian doing the job of a law enforcement officer. In modern societies under the social contract with governments we abbrogate certain rights and obligations to those in positions of power that we have elected or appointed and they are then responsible.
Well, I do think Non Governmental Organisations should play a role in international affairs, especially in areas where governments don't have as much legitimacy as perhaps they should. We accept this in other situations, whether its Medecins Sans Frontiers in Sudan or Amnesty International in Russia and China. In conflict resolution, independent mediators have made some useful successes (most recently Alex Reid, the priest involved in moving the Basque group ETA into the mainstream).

What is also true is that Kember himself has been quoted as saying he wasn't sure if he was being heroic or foolhardy. Having spent some time in the West Bank and in Waziristan myself (not really on a peace mission, it must be said), there are some really tricky places in the world. Staying at home = choice of champions.
--