Nope... no cult at all

Rob the problem is there is no such thing as a "legitimate" cult.

Cult - "A cult refers to a cohesive social group that the surrounding population considers to be outside the mainstream." - Wikipedia.

How is that inherently illegitimate?

Edit -

"According to Rodney Stark's A Theory of Religion, most religions start out their lives as cults or sects, i.e. groups in high tension with the surrounding society. Over time, they tend to either die out or become more established, mainstream and in less tension with society. [...] For example, Christianity was by definition a cult in 1st and 2nd century Rome, while in fifth century Rome it became rather an ecclesia (the state religion)" - Wikipedia again.

That is just looking at the religious aspect of a "cult." Cults can also refer to groups who like non-mainstream art, music, writing, etc etc.

Either be more specific in your definition of a cult, or choose a better word for what you are describing. The real meaning of a cult describes something that is not inherently evil.

Last edited:
Cult - "A cult refers to a cohesive social group that the surrounding population considers to be outside the mainstream." - Wikipedia.

How is that inherently illegitimate?

Edit -

"According to Rodney Stark's A Theory of Religion, most religions start out their lives as cults or sects, i.e. groups in high tension with the surrounding society. Over time, they tend to either die out or become more established, mainstream and in less tension with society. [...] For example, Christianity was by definition a cult in 1st and 2nd century Rome, while in fifth century Rome it became rather an ecclesia (the state religion)" - Wikipedia again.

That is just looking at the religious aspect of a "cult." Cults can also refer to groups who like non-mainstream art, music, writing, etc etc.

Either be more specific in your definition of a cult, or choose a better word for what you are describing. The real meaning of a cult describes something that is not inherently evil.
Good point. Kinda like the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
Rob, pass me the parmesan, please! :m1:

By my definition, I don't believe that people really worship Barack Obama the way they worship other things, like Satanists worshiping Lucifer. Therefore, I don't think there is a legitimate cult.

No cult. But there are a percentage of people out there that do display a high amount of fervor and think every plan, proposed policy and utterance is to be accepted without debate or question......as if it came from the mount. To the point of branding anyone who question a traitor. But that happens on both sides.....politics.

No cult. But there are a percentage of people out there that do display a high amount of fervor and think every plan, proposed policy and utterance is to be accepted without debate or question......as if it came from the mount. To the point of branding anyone who question a traitor. But that happens on both sides.....politics.

People who brand others as traitors because they dare disagree with the Administration are extremists and in fact the real threat to the American constitution. As Teddy Roosevelt once said (I'm paraphrasing, its not the exact quote) "It is the duty of every American to question its government"

I am sorry to say this but they do tend to be mostly from the radical right People like Ann Coulter, Rush Limbaugh, Michelle Malkin, the Fox People etc. Now that's not to say it couldn't happen from the left, I am just not aware of any examples.

People who brand others as traitors because they dare disagree with the Administration are extremists and in fact the real threat to the American constitution. As Teddy Roosevelt once said (I'm paraphrasing, its not the exact quote) "It is the duty of every American to question its government"

I am sorry to say this but they do tend to be mostly from the radical right People like Ann Coulter, Rush Limbaugh, Michelle Malkin, the Fox People etc. Now that's not to say it couldn't happen from the left, I am just not aware of any examples.

Won't deny that a majority are from the far right. However I've seen in my area an increase in those from the far left as of late.

Back