No swinging for Sammy Sosa, Rangers

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor

STEPHEN HAWKINS

Associated Press

SURPRISE, Ariz. - Sammy Sosa stepped into the batter's box against live pitching for the first time Sunday. The slugger didn't even swing the bat. Neither did Michael Young, Mark Teixeira or any of the other Texas Rangers hitters.
And that's exactly what manager Ron Washington expected.
"The hitters get some timing, seeing an arm come at them," Washington said. "That's what that's all about. Nothing more, nothing less. Get some timing, track the ball, see where you are."
Just don't swing at the pitch.
"I've got to remind myself that every pitch: don't swing, don't swing," Frank Catalanotto said.
There are plans for a couple of more "tracking" drills this week before letting the hitters finally take some cuts against pitchers. But they might not be swinging until the first Cactus League game Friday against Kansas City, which shares the same spring training complex.
"They're going to have to go cold turkey, the first day against Kansas City, just go for it. Then you learn what you're about," Washington said. "If you can get your act together and you ain't had no live action, you know you are bad boy, you've got your stuff together."
Even with the bat on his shoulder, former AL batting champion Young said the tracking drill is beneficial. He has had four straight 200-hit seasons and hit .331 two years ago.
"It's the first time you've seen live pitching in a while," Young said. "You can take all the BP you want, but it's always good when you have an opportunity to watch pitches. ... You're trying to see release points, get your timing down."
The hitters still got their normal batting practice later in the nearly three-hour workout Sunday, swinging at pitches thrown by coaches. Plus, they all got swings in the batting cage.
Washington also intently watched his pitchers during the drill, particularly No. 3 starter Brandon McCarthy and Kameron Loe, one of several candidates for the final spot in the rotation.
Texas acquired McCarthy, a 23-year-old right-hander, from the White Sox in a five-player deal in December that included left-hander John Danks, the Rangers' 2003 first-round pick. McCarthy worked primarily out of the bullpen last season because of Chicago's crowded rotation.
"I wanted to see if he could hit his spots. The catcher would set up and I wanted to see if he could hit the glove," Washington said. "You know he's got good stuff."
Washington liked what he saw from McCarthy and the other pitchers.
"It's always good to see a hitter in there," Loe said. "When somebody steps in there, it definitely steps up the adrenaline."
The Rangers won't play any intrasquad games this week before Cactus League play begins. But they have already scheduled four `B' games, the first coming Friday before the regular game.
Notes: Washington had dirt stains on his knees and backside after doing some hook slides back into third base during some pickoff drills. "I wanted to let them know I was just building confidence," he said. "They wouldn't have picked me off like they did." ... No. 1 starter Kevin Millwood has been bothered by a sore calf, but it's not considered serious. ... The Rangers are expected to rope off more areas in an effort to control extra fans coming out to watch Sosa and trying to get his autograph as he moves between practice fields. At one point Sunday, hitting coach Rudy Jaramillo reminded one group, "He can't right now, he's got to go to work."

Back