No place for the SMG?

M0rPh345 said:
For your information G36c is not a bullpup but a standard like an m16 of ak47. and No, Smgs still have a purpose. Like urban combat where the bullet hits the terrorist and doesn't penentrate through and hit someone else like a civilian.

Are you sure your not thinking of the G-36K? I thought the C was a cut down version of the K? Like the M4 carbine is to the M-16. I could be wrong...

ghost457 said:
bushpig1998 said:
FULLMETALJACKET said:
is mp5 silenced?

There is a silenced version...MP5SD.
http://www.hkpro.com/mp5sd.htm

also, most of the standard MP5's have the capability to be silenced because of a threaded muzzle or the 3-lug flashhider.

and on the topic of the MP5 (the best submachine gun, ever) it also comes in 10mm and .40 caliber for those that dont like the 9mm.

I prefer the UMP .45.

Read quite a bit at world.guns.ru. I see.

Thats the modern version, made with threaded muzzle to accept US-made detachable silencers.

The MP5A3 didn't have a three lug mount, the N/A4 version does.

The army carries the m16a4 and the m4 its mission dependent but if your not infantry you have a m4 its becoming the standard in the army. While the army is testing new weapons no replacment has been found.

Just a advantage I haven't seen yet is that the SMG does not generate as much sound in buildings so that the operator is unable to hear,
or your ear's don't ring for as long.

Weapons are tools and the military uses what is needed to get the mission done.

sleepyscout said:
The army carries the m16a4 and the m4 its mission dependent but if your not infantry you have a m4 its becoming the standard in the army. While the army is testing new weapons no replacment has been found.

Just a advantage I haven't seen yet is that the SMG does not generate as much sound in buildings so that the operator is unable to hear,
or your ear's don't ring for as long.

Weapons are tools and the military uses what is needed to get the mission done.

I thought the Army used the A3, and the USMC used the A4.

There's really no reason to issue sub machineguns anymore because assault rifles have become as small or smaller than your average SMG. Obviously long guns like the M16 or M14 can't compare in size, but a lot of others can, like the Russian 9A-91 or Galil MAR. Assault rifles generally have better range, accuracy, and penetration.

However, I can see how there would be a niche for the sub machinegun in modern urban combat, especially since most of America's enemies don't have body armor, and pistol rounds are usually more effective against unarmored targets than the standard issue rifle round. A Bizon or UMP with JHP ammo would be much better choices for that kind of fighting than an M4A1.

major liability said:
There's really no reason to issue sub machineguns anymore because assault rifles have become as small or smaller than your average SMG. Obviously long guns like the M16 or M14 can't compare in size, but a lot of others can, like the Russian 9A-91 or Galil MAR. Assault rifles generally have better range, accuracy, and penetration.

However, I can see how there would be a niche for the sub machinegun in modern urban combat, especially since most of America's enemies don't have body armor, and pistol rounds are usually more effective against unarmored targets than the standard issue rifle round. A Bizon or UMP with JHP ammo would be much better choices for that kind of fighting than an M4A1.

Agreed!

The best Sub Machine Gun in my opinion is the Bushmaster Ar-15 Pistol. Using a Wincjester 64 gr. Super-X® Power-Point® Round will destory any soft target.

az-C15P97S.jpg

sxpp.jpg

X223R2.jpg

I'd say that for anything but a purely CQB mission, where a 9mm round has great knockdown power at close range, an SMG isn't the best option. A 7.62 or 6.8mm hybrid might be a better option.

SCAR stands for Special Forces Combat Assault Rifle. Sounds like they just wanted a cool-sounding acronym to sell it with.

Now that people are offering their opinions on the best sub-machineguns, I'll tell you mine:

IzhMash Bizon-2-01 for counter-terror CQC where overpenetration could be a problem as it's a 9x19mm with a 53 round mag and Kalashnikov reliability. This is probably my favorite overall sub machinegun.

HK MP7A1 to replace pistols in the military, since it has great range and penetration compared to other sub machineguns and it's only a bit larger than a MK23 SOCOM pistol. This thing is also very silent with a supressor, even without subsonic ammo (there's a difference of only 4 dB between subsonic and standard ammo with the supressor attached).

If you want more stopping power, you might consider the PP-2000, a Russian machine pistol chambered for _very_ hot 7N31 9x19mm loads that can penetrate body armor while retaining their stopping power. Another advantage is that since it can also fire regular 9x19mm rounds, you could easily just switch over to JHP ammo for soft targets or when overpenetration is an issue. The stock is useless, though, and the effective range is slightly shorter than that of the MP7.

I strongly doubt that a lot of the world's militaries will switch over from semi-automatic pistols any time soon, though.

Back