No place for the SMG? - Page 2

--

April 18th, 2005  
beardo

SF, especially in Anti-Terrorist operations. Rmember the Iranian Embassy, you wouldnt want an M4 in that situation (A 5.56 round will travel through 2-3 people, not what you want when hostages are all over the place)
April 18th, 2005  
bushpig1998

The Russians used the PSSH extensively in front line use. But it fires a round that is closer to intermediate round than a pistol calibre round. The 7.62x25 round is extremely hot and will take a target down at quite a distance.
April 21st, 2005  
Damien435

The Marines are switching to the M-4 Carbine, it is a compact assault rifle more suitable for filling the roles of modern warfare. It has almost the same range as the M-16 but is also much more suitable for urban combat than the M-16A4 (Is that what the Army is currently using?). The M-4 is a compromise. The Army however is is going with the XM-8, the SMG just doesn't many uses outside that of Special Forces and use by SWAT teams. It is limited in range but is compact and can put out a lot of bullets in a short time.
--
April 21st, 2005  
Swift

this is colts version
http://www.colt.com/mil/SMG.asp
April 21st, 2005  
Sea_Cadet

I like
http://world.guns.ru/smg/smg13-e.htm

special forces uses the P90.
http://world.guns.ru/assault/as41-e.htm
I don't see how the FN 2000 is an assault rifle.

http://world.guns.ru/assault/as70-e.htm
although the scar does.
April 22nd, 2005  
03USMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien435
The Marines are switching to the M-4 Carbine, it is a compact assault rifle more suitable for filling the roles of modern warfare. It has almost the same range as the M-16 but is also much more suitable for urban combat than the M-16A4 (Is that what the Army is currently using?). The M-4 is a compromise. The Army however is is going with the XM-8, the SMG just doesn't many uses outside that of Special Forces and use by SWAT teams. It is limited in range but is compact and can put out a lot of bullets in a short time.

No the Marine Corps is adopting the M16A4 as it's service rifle. There is not going to be a general issue of the M4. Units and personel requiring the M4 will be designated and it will remain a mission/billet orientated weapon.
April 22nd, 2005  
Damien435

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03USMC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien435

No the Marine Corps is adopting the M16A4 as it's service rifle. There is not going to be a general issue of the M4. Units and personel requiring the M4 will be designated and it will remain a mission/billet orientated weapon.
Really? Hmmm, when did this happen? Back in July when I was looking into joining the military the Marine Corp. Recruiting told me that they were switching to the M4. Well thank you for enlightening me.
April 22nd, 2005  
03USMC

Around August the M16A4 was adopted as the next service rifle.
April 23rd, 2005  
Damien435

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03USMC
Around August the M16A4 was adopted as the next service rifle.
That'll happen.
April 24th, 2005  
cPFC/SAJROTC

I think the US Military has basically gone ahead and moved away from the idea of an SMG and elected more for Assault Rifles, Machine Guns and other weapons. Pilots, however, such as Black Hawks and some other birds as well as SF teams use weapons like the MP5 for holdouts. Mike Durant of the SOAR used one in Mogadishu, Somalia, to defend himself after he and his UH-60 crashed. He used it till it jammed.