No More 20 Year Retirement Plan

Military retirement will soon turn into a 401k type deal. Retire at 20 years? Collect at age 57-60. LOL!!!!

Ya about that, i'll scratch the re-enlistment office off my list of things to do when I get back.

http://militaryadvantage.military.com/2011/07/what-military-retirement-reform-means/

It's bad enough that military members have to wait 20 years to have any kind of benefit like that from their service.
But this takes the cake.
I worked at Boeing for 5.5 years and since I was vested, I'll receive a small pension when I'm 65.

Eisenhower was no friend of veterans.
He did a lot to maintain impoverishment within the ranks during is tenure.

I can't stray to far off topic,

But I understand that post, what I was referring to, is his stance towards Congressional spending during his time as President.

Being as it's Congress who is managing this debacle...

As far as I'm concerned, military retirement is not an entitlement, it was earned from 20 or more years of honorable service. Military benefits aren't some kind of charitable handout.
Congressional benefits on the other hand include free health care, outrageous retirement packages, 67 paid holidays, three weeks paid vacation, unlimited paid sick days, that's welfare. Congress has the nerve to call a military retirement an entitlement?
I don't know about anyone else, but I am getting very tired of these political antics. I hope every veteran remembers this at the voting booth.

So here I am... 19 years total time in and I am eligible to retire in 2015... We have been at war for more than half of my career... deployed MULTIPLE times to various s:cen:tholes and now they want to take away the one thing I have been looking forward to? WTF, OVER! Now when you are out after an initial enlistment you will be able to label yourself as "RET"... bull! This is so nasty, it makes me sick to my stomach. There is something to be said for those that retire and disappear out of the government spotlight.

At least you still have some sort of retirement over there, they shitcanned the pension scheme over here years ago.......

Its a new round the Wall Street backed Government has been firing lately, its called HE-P (High Explosive - Privatization). Its quite deadly and we are all in the middle of a massive barrage.

I would love to see who they have in mind to manage this new fund...I bet I can guess. (Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanly, maybe CitiGroup)

I foresee ourselves heading back to the days of conscripted service, as its harder to find volunteers willing to risk life and limb for long deployments, limited pay, and limited benefits.

It is, for the moment, only a proposal. Perhaps saner minds will prevail, or at least people with a resemblance of a heart.

Good Luck, Gentlemen.

Last edited:
Oh, one other thing... if they change the retirement system for military, it will cost me over $700,000 in retirement money over my lifetime.... that is about 40%.... nice huh?

As a veteran, who's 20+ years of service spanned a war in a shithole country (Vietnam), and numerous stints in parts of the world that I could have done without ... I personally resent Congress considering my retirement benefits as an entitlement. I earned every single penny of the money that I draw. I put my life on the line more times than I can count or really wish to remember .. and some pissant who has done no more than brave the traffic to and from an 8 to 5 job, gets to retire after a 20 year job and ends up making double what I do .. plus, he and his family have an almost complete medical coverage. Remember, this is just an average Joe Schmoe citizen and NOT a government worker or one of our legislators - their retirement pay and benefits are obscene.

I don't see the equality that I spent my life protecting .. matter of fact, since the Republicans have become the majority party, I have seen even those benefits be eroded at an alarming rate.

Where will it end??? Your guess is as good as mine. All I know, is the fact that my retirement (along with my Social Security), is buying less today that it was just one short year ago.

Marching on Washington and undertaking an armed revolution comes to mind .. however, I would be happy with a "voter revolution" instead. Let's kick the bums out of office and replace them with some retirees who place value on human life instead of on institutional power. [And they don't even have to be military retirees].

As a veteran, who's 20+ years of service spanned a war in a shithole country (Vietnam), and numerous stints in parts of the world that I could have done without ... I personally resent Congress considering my retirement benefits as an entitlement. I earned every single penny of the money that I draw. I put my life on the line more times than I can count or really wish to remember .. and some pissant who has done no more than brave the traffic to and from an 8 to 5 job, gets to retire after a 20 year job and ends up making double what I do .. plus, he and his family have an almost complete medical coverage. Remember, this is just an average Joe Schmoe citizen and NOT a government worker or one of our legislators - their retirement pay and benefits are obscene.

I don't see the equality that I spent my life protecting .. matter of fact, since the Republicans have become the majority party, I have seen even those benefits be eroded at an alarming rate.

Where will it end??? Your guess is as good as mine. All I know, is the fact that my retirement (along with my Social Security), is buying less today that it was just one short year ago.

Marching on Washington and undertaking an armed revolution comes to mind .. however, I would be happy with a "voter revolution" instead. Let's kick the bums out of office and replace them with some retirees who place value on human life instead of on institutional power. [And they don't even have to be military retirees].

The first thing is to end the corruption Chief. Congress is 100% corrupt, both parties are in the back pocket of special interests. If you end the flow of money into D.C you get politicians who are no longer afraid of getting reelected, which in turn stops stupid proposals such as this one from being considered.

As I said before - follow the money on this. Tell me which people are pushing this proposal and I guarantee you Ill find a bank, company or some wall street financial institution pulling the strings. That's the only way things get done in DC these days.

Sad but true.

Back