No, Mom, West Point Hasn't Changed Me...

AJChenMPH

Forum Health Inspector
AN ARMY FAMILY living at West Point, we invited a new cadet and his parents for dinner. The young man had just completed the Military Academy's intense, six-week boot-camp-style training course, and his mother was thrilled to see that her 17-year-old son had survived the ordeal. During dinner she asked him, "Do you think you've been changed by your experiences at West Point?"

He looked straight at her and replied, "No, sir, I haven't changed at all."

--Contributed to "Humor In Uniform" by Joanna Gonzales

Provided Courtesy of Reader's Digest.

Hehe, used to never call Father Sir once I hit adulthood. Even though I was raised that way being from the south. I got home on boot leave and it was yes sir no sir and generally louder than he would like. Nope, haven't changed at all.

Marinerhodes said:
Hehe, used to never call Father Sir once I hit adulthood. Even though I was raised that way being from the south. I got home on boot leave and it was yes sir no sir and generally louder than he would like. Nope, haven't changed at all.

Oh you call your father "sir" in Dixie? Didn't know that.

Italian Guy said:
Oh you call your father "sir" in Dixie? Didn't know that.
I know I call my father sir most of the time when I'm not calling him daddy! (I'm daddy's lil girl) Its a southern thing I guess. I always thought it was just respectful.

AmericanSweetheart said:
I know I call my father sir most of the time when I'm not calling him daddy! (I'm daddy's lil girl) Its a southern thing I guess. I always thought it was just respectful.

Must not just be a southern thing, I think it's just more of a respect thing. I'm from Boston, no kid in my neighborhood ever responded to their parent or an adult without the "sir" or the "ma'am" attached.

PJ24 said:
Must not just be a southern thing, I think it's just more of a respect thing. I'm from Boston, no kid in my neighborhood ever responded to their parent or an adult without the "sir" or the "ma'am" attached.

It's respect and it is taught from early on in life, not just down south either.

Same thing happened to me. Couldn't tell I changed personally but people couldn't stop remarking how different I talked.

Back