No Joke: Mom Prevails In Quest To Get Silly String To Troops

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
San Diego Union-Tribune
October 16, 2007
Pg. 1
Soldiers use sticky spray to detect bomb trip wires
By Rebecca Santana, Associated Press
TRENTON, N.J. – After months of frustration, the mother of a soldier in Iraq has found someone to ship about 80,000 cans of Silly String to the troops, who use the foamy substance to detect trip wires on bombs.
“I am so happy right now, I am shaking. I just think it's awesome that it's finally going,” said Marcelle Shriver as boxes were loaded into a truck yesterday afternoon.
The thousands of cans of Silly String are boxed and addressed to individual servicemen and servicewomen in Iraq. But since the string comes in an aerosol can, it's considered a hazardous material, and only certain companies can ship it.
Thom Campbell, one of the founders of Capacity LLC, a New Jersey-based shipping company experienced in hazardous materials, heard about Shriver's problem and decided to help out.
Shriver and Campbell communicated for weeks by telephone and e-mail but met for the first time yesterday when the boxes were picked up. Each praised the other for making the shipment a reality.
“The determination that she's shown over a year ... deserves to be honored,” Campbell said. “Mine is not a glamorous industry nor is it the kind of industry you get a lot of opportunities to do something like this.”
Shriver had been storing the boxes in this community across the Delaware River from Philadelphia. They'll be inspected by the company and then delivered to the U.S. Postal Service for transport with other letters and packages bound for Iraq.
Shriver's Silly String campaign began late last year after her son, Todd, a soldier in Ramadi scheduled to leave Iraq in November, asked his parents to send cans of the product.
Soldiers can shoot the substance, which travels about 10 to 12 feet, across a room before entering. If it hangs in the air, that indicates a possible trip wire.
Shriver, 58, got one shipment of 40,000 cans shipped in January through the Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base Willow Grove in Pennsylvania but officials told Shriver they didn't know when they would have more flights headed to Iraq and didn't have space to store the boxes. McGuire Air Force Base declined to take the shipment.
Despite her frustrations, Shriver said the Silly String campaign was worth it.
“If this saves one life, I'm happy,” Shriver said.

Back