Night Vision Goggles - NVG

webs

can u accutally see with the NVG's cause they seem so strange with the green and it seems so gittery.

Yes you can.

If you ever get the chance to try a pair on you would see thet they're pretty good. The stuff you see on TV of NVG's arent all that clear, probably cause of the way they film it, it's different than wearing them in real life.

The problem is, it narrows your field of vision and takes away your periphial vision. Also direct light going into it from a lamp or an explosion will cause the lense to flare bright and you won't be able to see anything. But still they are a really big advantage over someone who deosn't have one.

gladius said:
Yes you can.

Try driving a vehicle with them on!!! I didn't have too much trouble with then normally, butused them only on and off when in the field and we took turns during patrols. Sometimes I thought that on a good night, your regular night vision helped more than not being able to see to the side.

They are pretty fun to dive with for the first time. Make a circle with your fingers and place your hand up to your eye. That's basically what's like to drive with them on. Also, everything is green and you have no depth perception. It's even more fun when you are in black out drive and civilian traffic comes at you with thier headlights on.

Lil Hulk 1988 said:
Try driving a vehicle with them on!!! I didn't have too much trouble with then normally, butused them only on and off when in the field and we took turns during patrols. Sometimes I thought that on a good night, your regular night vision helped more than not being able to see to the side.

Well I've never driven with them on, my only experience with them was during foot patrols and seting up permiters and ambushes, for those use they really help.
But I agree with you on a good night when you have more visibility it may be a hindrence.
But I hate to be on patrol on a really dark night when you cant see anything any the enemy can see you with his NVG's, and the last thing you see is his muzzle flash.

can a civvie even buy NVG? I know some theaters issue them to the people who walk through the theater to make sure there's no freaking goin on.

I WANT some... they'd own for summer camp, especially during firewatch and hell night.

Damien said:
can a civvie even buy NVG? I know some theaters issue them to the people who walk through the theater to make sure there's no freaking goin on.

I WANT some... they'd own for summer camp, especially during firewatch and h**l night.

you can, but they don't run cheap. I believe you may be able to get some Russian Surplus ones dirt cheap. They may not be the best, but hey, they're still NVG's

[quote="gladiusBut I hate to be on patrol on a really dark night when you cant see anything any the enemy can see you with his NVG's, and the last thing you see is his muzzle flash.[/quote]

Agreed, we used to do a 30% NVG on the squad and then rotate. Usually point and rear guard and a center. It saved batteries and made it a little easier on the eyes.

I love NVG's. I found that the AN/PVS 14 B is the best. I also found that if you don't wear them completely agains your eye like you are supposed to you really don't have all that much trouble with periphials. You can also angle them so you can look under them and when things are close to you you can just look under if they are far away or you can't see just lower your head and look up. If on patrol you need to think about alot more than that though. They have eye cups to reduce the light the produce against your face so that you are harder to see. So be smart when using this method.

Back