Night vision gear

-- Dusty

What are your guy's opinions on night vision gear you have worked with? Pros? Cons? Suggestions?

I'm looking at picking some up via http://opticshq.com (I love their price guarantee) and I'm really not sure what to get.

Well I can give you recommendations on PM but not out here.
I think I have.
What sort are you looking for? Head mounted or rifle mounted?

Yes we discussed this before. I'm also wanting to get advice from the other guys. I like the ANPVS-7, but it's a goggle & not monocular. I think a monocular would be best, but again I don't know.

This will be a head mount.

My sons want me to buy them one too. They say it'd be so cool since nobody would be able to creep around in the bushes near us, lol..but the prices..wow...take me years to save nuff for two. :roll:

I had a cheap monocular night vision I got for around $300 online. Of course it's garbage compared to military stuff but if all you're using it for is walks in the woods at night it's perfectly adequate.

I had a cheap monocular night vision I got for around $300 online. Of course it's garbage compared to military stuff but if all you're using it for is walks in the woods at night it's perfectly adequate.
Hiking, stuff like that. And of course, keeping an eye on the late goings on around my home/neighborhood. The latter certainly is an issue for me as I'm looking at buying some land.

With 2nd Generation stuff, you practically have to know what the place already looks like during the day time.

According to a website this is what I got for generation 2 NVG resolution:
night_vision_gear_is_it_worth_it.htm_txt_gen2img.gif

But this guy is in an open field with city lights on the horizon. I used it in a forest and no city lights visible (and surrounded by mountains). Could barely make out crap. One time I had the unfortunate event of having to use one of these and thought I saw a sleeping sentry. Spent fifteen to twenty minutes circling around that sucker with my fireteam and succeeded in silently bayoneting to death a "do not enter" sign.

Hmmm... I wonder.
Most of those shots seem to have been taken with a definitive light source.
As for 50% moonlight... if you have that under a very clear sky you do have half decent illumination. Like I said, not all NVGs of the same generation are equal. The one I used didn't hold up very well at all when it was overcast, surrounded by mountains and in a forest (all at the same time). I couldn't tell short vegetation to trail and basically had to navigate based on how the ground felt.
Gen 3 stuff seemed to hold up alright even when it looked pretty close to pitch black.

Having said that, I'm not exactly a big time NVG authority so you should ask others. Who knows, maybe there are some Gen 2 NVGs that are in fact outstanding.

German nightvision equip is 2 dimensional- so you won't be able to know any heights especially when you are right in front of them, one time I had to lead the way with it and I practically fell like 3 meters down because I thought it would be a small step ^^. And it's very hard to know if it's water or just plains... Other than that the quality is very good...
We have it as binocular (that is 3 dimensional), for the scope of every rifle and as unit attachable to the helmet or without.

Wish I had a night scope the other night ... something slow n noisy lumbering across the street in the bushes ... my son hit it with his BB gun ..it growled...loudly...holay! :eek: don't know if it was a bear or wolf.

What i used back in the late 80s, early 90s worked well enough to drive once you got used to no depth preception and tunnel vision.

Back