? Next Big One ?

El Zippo

There is a BIG Power struggle going on in the South China Sea right now.
China is asserting that these waters belong to them and that their intentions are solely peaceful.
China has spoken loudly and objectively to the U.S/ South Korean Military Exercise to take place, of which has been conducted for many years "so why is China speaking up now and flexing it's muscles" the reason is the want need and desire for the Worlds most important commodity ( Natural Resources )
read this interesting and informative article:
http://www.cfr.org/east-asia/armed-clash-south-china-sea/p27883
That's just my thoughts and by no means meant as a bash against China

Truthfully I think the whole China v USA thing is a lot of sabre rattling with very little substance, the reality is that anything more than rhetoric between the two becomes an unwinnable war for both.

The majority of China's defense spending is for internal security, suppressing dissent and the whole "Free Tibet" thing where the entire DOD budget is for external threat mitigation. Consider this and the relative capabilities between the United States and PRC becomes even more one sided than before. China will talk tough and bluster, but it won't be through conventional weaponry that China will hurt the United States, it will be through aggressive economic policies, not warfare.

The majority of China's defense spending is for internal security, suppressing dissent and the whole "Free Tibet" thing where the entire DOD budget is for external threat mitigation. Consider this and the relative capabilities between the United States and PRC becomes even more one sided than before. China will talk tough and bluster, but it won't be through conventional weaponry that China will hurt the United States, it will be through aggressive economic policies, not warfare.

I agree with what you say about their internal struggles, eventually one day the people will wake up and probably revolt and change.
I find it a bit ironic that a Communist country can be so divided by rich and poor isn't that the whole point of the concept to be Egual ?
They do and are building quite a Naval force and although would be no match for the U.S their intentions are solely on the China Seas natural resources since there is an international grab going on for claims on these sand dune un-inhabited island chains. This includes recent grabs by Phillipines,Vietnam, India,China just to name a few all for the hopes of finding Natural Gas and Oil Drilling.
China claims the whole sea as theirs and would bully the little guys which would cause the U.S to step in and protect. Possibly resulting in economic hardships for us all / but if China were smart they would find another solution because it is because of countries like the U.S and Canada alike that they are where they are today.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spratly_Islands

You want to find out about your war?

Follow the money here, and you will see why peace more or less will be secured for a long time between the U.S. and China.

The last thing China needs is a war, they are now enjoying a period of prosperity and are enjoying it. Now there is nothing wrong in talking tough to try and get your way but they do far more with their finical muscle than they can through an armed conflict.

The most important thing for China is to keep the commies in power. The second most important thing is supplies. China's supply lines are long and very vurnerable so the whole of the South China Sea would lessen their dependence on foreign resources. Another advantage for them would be to keep out the snoops. I think China will not go to war for this (against a more powerfull foe) but like anyone else want as much as they can get.

Combine this with the old PLA analogy, it takes a week with 100 trucks for the PLA to cross a ravine.

It takes 2 hours and a handful of Cargo planes for the U.S. to do the same.

In any war between the two nations, logistics is king, and considering what the U.S. did to Japan with the resources availble in the 40's, imagine how well the U.S. would be able to support any defensive or offensive action in this region of the world today with bases already established here.

Point being, America, both militarily , commercially, and finacially has the most stuff, including the lion's share of "stategic resources".

Even despite the population disparity to crap owned ratio of it's populace compared to the rest of the world.

China is no rival to the United States. 95% of China looks like a Third World country. Every American soldier is equal to about 5 of theirs in capability, training, and technology.

China is no rival to the United States. 95% of China looks like a Third World country. Every American soldier is equal to about 5 of theirs in capability, training, and technology.

Also in pay and benefit's, if we really wanna break this down, the U.S. has long been an example of a well off military. Consider this when comparing the U.S. service member who is a volunteer, who wants to be there when comparing to a lower paid possibly Consripted Chinese adversary.

Of course battles have been won on heart before in the past. But in today's world of undeclared conflicts and dirty gunboat diplomacy the heorics and romance of war these days could quickly wear off, leaving one to think more soley on their benifits after the conflict is over.

Last edited:
Thanks for the Article

Current events. I'm retired, but you still gotta stay up on current events.

You're smart for not bashing China, because they're making your socks, pants, shirts, and shoes.

I know this for fact, because I weight 160 and have to order XXXL shirts these days. ha

Laugh Out Loud: L.O.L.

Every American soldier is equal to about 5 of theirs in capability, training, and technology.
Do you speak from experience or are you just talking s***?

The Chinese amphibious forces consists of 12,000 naval infantry and two army divisions trained to undertake amphibious operations. All of these are volunteers and undergo strenuous training. In Western terms, the Chinese marines are somewhere between the U.S. Marine Corps and the British Royal Marine Commandos in terms of training and intended capabilities. The Chinese marines are trained and equipped for raiding, not for large scale landings against a defended shore.

I honestly feel the answer to this thread was given one or two post down from the original post.

The Dollar/ Yaun is supreme here, as long as there is much money to be made no one is going to fire a shot, yes China has regional ambitions, yes the U.S. has conditions to uphold for it's allies here.

But for the time being economic chaos is not seemingly worth risking for war by either side. And these conditions will seemingly be upheld into the near future.

Last edited:
Back