Newsweek May 9, 2005 Issue

CABAL

Apart from the beautiful Zhang Ziyi and Shanghai photo in front of the cover of the May 9th 2005 edition titled "China's Century", there have been strong critisms on Newsweek's retraction on the issue of American Interogators desecrating the Koran. The News agency is under serious heavy fire from Muslim Organizations around the world.

Here is the article:

Muslims skeptical over Newsweek back-track on Koran

By Sayed Salahuddin
KABUL, Afghanistan (Reuters) - Muslims in Afghanistan and Pakistan were skeptical on Monday about an apparent retraction by Newsweek magazine of a report that U.S. interrogators desecrated the Koran and said U.S. pressure was behind the climb-down.

The White House said the report based on an anonymous source had damaged the U.S. image overseas.

The report in Newsweek's May 9 issue sparked protests across the Muslim world from Afghanistan, where 16 were killed and more than 100 injured, to Pakistan, India, Indonesia and Gaza.

Newsweek said on Sunday the report might not be true.

"We will not be deceived by this," Islamic cleric Mullah Sadullah Abu Aman told Reuters in the northern Afghan province of Badakhshan, referring to the magazine's retraction.

"This is a decision by America to save itself. It comes because of American pressure. Even an ordinary illiterate peasant understands this and won't accept it."

Aman was the leader of a group of clerics who on Sunday vowed to call for a holy war against the United States in three days unless it handed over the military interrogators reported to have desecrated the Koran.

That call for a jihad, or holy war, still stood, he said.

In Washington, White House spokesman Scott McClellan said the story had not met journalistic standards by relying on a single anonymous source "who could not personally substantiate the allegation that was made."

"The report has had serious consequences," McClellan said. "People have lost their lives. The image of the United States abroad has been damaged."

Afghan President Hamid Karzai, a close U.S. ally, said the Newsweek report had caused a public outcry that enabled enemies of Afghanistan to orchestrate violence. He was displeased with the magazine's acknowledgment of error, his spokesman said.

For Further reading: http://today.reuters.com/news/newsA...INTERNATIONAL-RELIGION-AFGHAN-PAKISTAN-DC.XML

I do think Newsweek needs to pay attention a bit on releasing articles that can surely put them into the fields of bad publicity. I currently suscribe both Businessweek and Newsweek while residing in the United States and I spotted a lot of flaws in which the reporting requires more researching and source information needs to be done. The news agency does have exceptional editors and reporters though and I enjoyed many of their commentaries. But there are some that are plainly ridiculous and puts Newsweek/Businessweek in a questionable situation.

But there are some that are plainly ridiculous and puts Newsweek/Businessweek in a questionable situation.

Poor, poor Newsweek .. nevermind the lives they've cost and the problems they have caused. :roll:

staurofilakes said:
If the info they wrote is false somebody should be removed inmediatly.

The proccess isn't that simple and easy. The source of information sent to the editors goes a long way and it is quite difficult to decide who should take the blame. Either than that, I do suggest MSNBC network should start paying more attention in exposing articles that can risk deaths and injuries. But like most liberals would argue, it would be considered as censorship.

Currently, they are publishing dangerous articles and dangerous articles sells. The China Bashing and Anti-Bush sentiment in MSNBC is outrageously amateur. Ever since this controversial erupted, the May 9 was sold out very fast in vendors all across America. Even the vendors told me personally that they have never seen a Newsweek issue in such great demand. Its either the Koran Desecration article that caught reader's attention or it can be the front cover of Zhang Ziyi that caught men's attention. ;) For that, I don't know why.

All those Muslims acting crazy over one little incident which may not even be true.

Just imagine if it was for something bigger, say like... something they've been all their lives to happen, something that would encompass them declaring total jihad, something they consider mega prophetic. I wonder what would happen then? Would they go and act on it? If this is a small example of that which is to come, you can imagine if it was about something much much bigger.

gladius said:
All those Muslims acting crazy over one little incident which may not even be true.

Just imagine if it was for something bigger, say like... something they've been all their lives to happen, something that would encompass them declaring total jihad, something they consider mega prophetic. I wonder what would happen then? Would they go and act on it? If this is a small example of that which is to come, you can imagine if it was about something much much bigger.

I disagree. The incident of desecrating the Koran is considered the most hideous and sacriligious crime in Islam. This is not one little incident. If Muslims around the world were to learn their holy book have been desecrated, surely they are going to protest in outrage.

If the Bible was to be desecrated, surely conservative Christians around the world would protest in anger.

There are some who protest in a more formal fashion in some areas around the world. These protests are being done by more peaceful Muslim Organizations. However in the areas where violence occured, they are others who merely wanted to express Extreme Anti-US feelings and to stir trouble.

Lets shift gears for a moment in answer to MadeinChina's request.

I have the Newsweek article describing the negative and postive aspects of China hosting the 2008 Olympics. Have you read it MadeinChina?

RnderSafe said:
But there are some that are plainly ridiculous and puts Newsweek/Businessweek in a questionable situation.

Poor, poor Newsweek .. nevermind the lives they've cost and the problems they have caused. :roll:

All I know is that 15 people are dead because of this, perhaps more, and undoubtly many are injured :cry: . Newsweek isn't poor, it's bankrupt and criminally liable :x . And the Media wonders why they are loosing credibility and circulation :?: :shock: :?

In a way I sort of agree. lol

Cabal said:
I disagree. The incident of desecrating the Koran is considered the most hideous and sacriligious crime in Islam. This is not one little incident. If Muslims around the world were to learn their holy book have been desecrated, surely they are going to protest in outrage.

If the Bible was to be desecrated, surely conservative Christians around the world would protest in anger.

There are some who protest in a more formal fashion in some areas around the world. These protests are being done by more peaceful Muslim Organizations. However in the areas where violence occured, they are others who merely wanted to express Extreme Anti-US feelings and to stir trouble.

You missed my point completely.

I'm saying if they are willing to stir up this much trouble over an incident such as this, imagine what they would do if it was for something much larger with more significance. It won't take much to rouse the whole Islamic world, into something like, oh maybe jihad were thousands if not milions would die.

Some conservative Christians may protest a desecration of the Bible but I doudt anyone would die over it. And I also doubt they would want to go into HOLY WAR over such a thing. How many times has someone desecrated sacred Christain stuff in the name of art or whatever in the past, and nothing even close to this had happened.

Sorry If I misunderstood you. But you did clarify and elobarted your first statement a lot and I appreciated it. Well I certainly agree on some parts.

How many times has some desecrated sacred Christain stuff in the name of art or whatever in the past, and nothing even close to this had happened.

I'll check on that. I do remember several occasions where violence did occured. An event similar to this but on a smaller scale did occur in Germany a few years ago if I remembered correctly.

Generally, we all shouldn't have this notion that all Muslims resort to violence.

Actually, I agree, I don't think most Muslims resort to violence with stuff like this.

However there is such a large and powerful faction of Muslims that do want violence that violence does occur. Those that don't want it, don't do anything or are even symphathetic to those that do violence. If they don't stand up to them, those that do want violence may end up taking over the religion, and you know what that can mean.

As far as Christian violence goes, its not even close the group of 300 mullahs having a call to jihad over what has occured.

as far as one belief goes, there is always the radicals, modernates and the so called: wimps

the fact is revolutions always land in another revolution if the believers and rebels were in fact a bit seperate

take muslims for example, some want peace, some want war, some want us to go to hell, some just wants their religion to rule the world

my point is dong take muslims for one kind, everyone is different

gladius said:
Actually, I agree, I don't think most Muslims resort to violence with stuff like this.

However there is such a large and powerful faction of Muslims that do want violence that violence does occur. Those that don't want it, don't do anything or are even symphathetic to those that do violence. If they don't stand up to them, those that do want violence may end up taking over the religion, and you know what that can mean.

As far as Christian violence goes, its not even close the group of 300 mullahs having a call to jihad over what has occured.

Actually there were incidents of violence and extremism through all religious sects. We've seen Jews, Christians, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists practitioners resort to the militant factions. This is unfortunate, but yet Islam cannot be the only religion that can be targetted for extremism.

True.

But when was the last time you saw Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, or Christians do terrorist act in the name of their religion. I'm sure it may happen every once in a while, but its rare. With Islam it seems to be a common occurance though.

gladius said:
True.

But when was the last time you saw Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, or Christians do terrorist act in the name of their religion. I'm sure it may happen every once in a while, but its rare. With Islam it seems to be a common occurance though.

The reason Islam seems to be the common occurance is because Islamic Fundamentalism first surfaced during the early 1980's. If you look back into history, the Spanish Inquisition, the crusades, for centuries Europe have suffered greatly in the name of religion. The Middle Ages was Christianity's most darkest period in time and I fear Islam is turning into that direction right now as well.

Cabal said:
Sorry If I misunderstood you. But you did clarify and elobarted your first statement a lot and I appreciated it. Well I certainly agree on some parts.

How many times has some desecrated sacred Christain stuff in the name of art or whatever in the past, and nothing even close to this had happened.

I'll check on that. I do remember several occasions where violence did occured. An event similar to this but on a smaller scale did occur in Germany a few years ago if I remembered correctly.

Generally, we all shouldn't have this notion that all Muslims resort to violence.

Actually, there was an artist who placed a crucifix in a glass of urine and it was considered art. I think it was a New York art exhibit. There was no great outcry but fundamentalist Christians griped about it.

Thanks for the information. I'll try to find an article regarding to the art work you referred to.

Back