Newman called to the Hauler about Montoya wreck

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
#12-Ryan Newman's final night of the 2006 season lasted a little longer than he had planned when he was called to the NASCAR hauler after #30-Juan Pablo Montoya spun into the wall and his car burst into flames. "That's just one of those things," Montoya said. "He came up to me and if that's what he wanted to do, I don't care. I'm not racing for points or anything here." Newman spun into the grass with 21 laps to go and said that was his fault with no help from Montoya, who was beside him when it happened. When Newman was behind Montoya when his car went into a tailspin, NASCAR officials wanted to talk to Newman to find out if it was a payback move. "We were basically going for the same piece of real estate," Newman said when he came out of the hauler. "His bumper went across my nose and it spun him out. This was nobody but racing's fault, in my opinion. I felt bad for the situation because obviously it looked like I was retaliating and that wasn't the case, and that's what we talked about in there."(Richmond Times Dispatch)

Back