Newby!

Missileer

Hey to everyone from DFW, Texas.
I'm a member as of today and found this site by accident while surfing. I live in a small town (Rowlett) in Rockwall county. We are about 15 miles East of Dallas, or as we call it the Metromess.

I was in the Army Air Defense from 1962-1965. I was stationed on a couple of Nike Hercules missile sites around Los Angeles. I got out as a Sp 4, E-4. I was an acquisition radar operator.

When I became a civilian again, I went back to College on the GI bill and went to work for a defense company. I have been in defense work since `65 and presently work for Raytheon Co. in McKinney, Tx. I was in night vision and FLIR for years but worked for a while on Paveway (smart bombs) and missiles but am now back in FLIR sights for tanks and armored vehicles.

My wife and I have been married for 42 years and have two Sons, one Daughter and four Grandsons. The funny thing is I never travelled in the service but have been all over the United States in the business world.
That's about it for my intro. When your life is G-rated, not much happens.

Welcome to the Forums, Missileer. Hope you have a good time here.

Just out of curiosity...what exactly is a Nike Hercules Missile?

We'll like to hear from our experienced grandpal... especially about things in the '60s. It's an interesting era. ;)

Quick lesson needed!

I always hate to have to ask dumb questions about seemingly simple subjects but, can someone explain to me how to reply to a certain post by a certain author? What do I click on?

SleepySleeper, where were you stationed. I was at LA55 Btry on the California coast, I think it was called Palos Verdes back then. Life was great on the beach but that didn't last long. In `64, we turned that site over to the NG and I was moved into the mountains near Newhall, Calif. I used Missileer as a title slightly out of jest. I noticed that the qualification badge hanger was "Missileman" when I was in and changed to "Missile" for a while. Some Patriot crewmen, I noticed recently, had "Missileer" on their badge.

NCdt Steliga said:
Welcome to the Forums, Missileer. Hope you have a good time here.

Just out of curiosity...what exactly is a Nike Hercules Missile?

I see someone posted a website for you. The Nike family of missiles was a deterrent for the long range Soviet bombers. The Hercules was capable of delivering a nuclear warhead to a large bomber formation.

When President Kennedy was killed, all of our high explosive fragmentary warheads were replaced with nuclear ones.

I guess the `60s was an interesting, exciting, fun (great music), but bewildering period. America became aware of how dedicated the Soviets were to our destruction. The Cold War got so hot that we were within minutes of no-holds-barred war. We lost our Commander in Chief and with him our sense of security and innocence. I won't even mention Southeast Asia (I still wear my copper POW/MIA bracelet occasionally).

Then there were the High School proms, Elvis, poodle skirts, sock hops, and malts still had raw eggs in them without the fear of salmonella. Anyone who saw American Graffitti can get a pretty good idea of life "back then". Things weren't as complicated as now.

Re: Quick lesson needed!

Missileer said:
I always hate to have to ask dumb questions about seemingly simple subjects but, can someone explain to me how to reply to a certain post by a certain author? What do I click on?

Use the "quote" button, like this.. :)

Redleg said:
Missileer said:

Use the "quote" button, like this.. :)

I got it, thanks mucho.

Missileer said:
SleepySleeper, where were you stationed. I was at LA55 Btry on the California coast, I think it was called Palos Verdes back then. Life was great on the beach but that didn't last long. In `64, we turned that site over to the NG and I was moved into the mountains near Newhall, Calif. I used Missileer as a title slightly out of jest. I noticed that the qualification badge hanger was "Missileman" when I was in and changed to "Missile" for a while. Some Patriot crewmen, I noticed recently, had "Missileer" on their badge.

I'm Norwegian so my NIKE experience comes from the Norwegian NIKE batallion. I was a maintenance officer at the bn HQ at Linderud (Oslo) but my NIKE training was as chief of (launcher) section. Most of the "old hands" got their training at Mc Gregor but I was too late for that :cry:

My main task was the planning of depot level maintenance of the missiles & boosters as well as the launchers.

Cheers!

Back