A newbie from the Great White North

SigPig

Hi, just joined before the weekend.

Live now in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Just finished 20 years in the CF Reserves -- communications, to be exact. Retiring, once I get the paperwork in. Gonna be a "mister" instead of a "sarge".

Found the site when I Googled the word "Bharat" -- I was trying to find the origin of the name of India -- and one of the links was your discussion page on country name origins.

BTW, I posted a link as to the origins of Nihon, Nippon, and Japan, which had been asked earlier.

Anyhow, this could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

SigPig

Always good to see anothe Canuck; even if they are from Toronto.

PS; is the gravity different in the center of the Universe?

Thanks for the welcome, all.

I should clarify: geographically, I am currently from Toronto.

In reality, I am from Newfoundland.

It may not be Toronto, but at least it's no big deal to pick up your brewskis at a corner store.

J

Fish is the traditional staple of the Newfoundland diet. Also, usually when a Newfoundlander says"fish", he's referring to cod. All other fish are referred to by their species (haddock, salmon, tuna, etc).

Cod is to Nfld what beef is to Alberta.

As for eating it, it's popularity is declining, but not from lack of desire. Since the Fed Gov't gave fishing rights to every country with a dragger EXCEPT the Newfoundlanders, the price of fish has skyrocketed while its availability has plummeted. Now we actually have to import cod from Iceland or Norway.

To put that in perspective, imagine that Saskatchewan had to import wheat from other countries, because only say Ukraine, Kansas, Japan, etc were allowed to harvest what grew there.

Cheers

J

The Canadian Gov't, in its wisdom, traded Nfld's fishing rights to other countries -- primarily Portugal and Spain -- in return for other concessions WRT trade and stuff.

Overfishing is rampant, and the draggers are gathering up everything from Atlantic cod to dolphins. They tear up the sea bed and wreck the ecosystem. The fishery has been so decimated that Canada suspended the food fishery for Nfld back in the 80's when Mulroney was Prime Minister. The foreign fleets, if I am not mistaken, still have a controlled harvest in Canadian waters on that part of the continental shelf called the Grand Banks; unfortunately, two areas called the "nose" and "tail" of the Grand banks extend outside Canada's 200-mile economic zone, so the foreign trawlers just loot the area to their hearts' content.

J.

Let's hope we stay close. This whole missile defence thing is putting a big strain on the relationship between Uncle Sam and Johnny Canuck -- but that thread's probably better switched to the political forum.

Thanks for the welcomes, folks.

J

Renewed war welcome (a polite way of breaking the no-spamming rule, deh-ih-oh ;) ). Ciao man, and thanks for the names origin contribution. Catch ya later.

Welcome to the forums and congrats on the retirement. Even if you become a mister, there will always be someone calling you sarge and I'd bet you'll be glad they are. :m1:

Back