A newbie from the Great White North - Page 2

--

March 2nd, 2005  
Italian Guy

Didn't know that. How come is it? Too bad.
March 3rd, 2005  
SigPig

The Canadian Gov't, in its wisdom, traded Nfld's fishing rights to other countries -- primarily Portugal and Spain -- in return for other concessions WRT trade and stuff.

Overfishing is rampant, and the draggers are gathering up everything from Atlantic cod to dolphins. They tear up the sea bed and wreck the ecosystem. The fishery has been so decimated that Canada suspended the food fishery for Nfld back in the 80's when Mulroney was Prime Minister. The foreign fleets, if I am not mistaken, still have a controlled harvest in Canadian waters on that part of the continental shelf called the Grand Banks; unfortunately, two areas called the "nose" and "tail" of the Grand banks extend outside Canada's 200-mile economic zone, so the foreign trawlers just loot the area to their hearts' content.

J.
March 3rd, 2005  
C/2nd Lt Robot

Welcome, I've been close to Canada if that counts for anything.
--
March 3rd, 2005  
SigPig

Let's hope we stay close. This whole missile defence thing is putting a big strain on the relationship between Uncle Sam and Johnny Canuck -- but that thread's probably better switched to the political forum.

Thanks for the welcomes, folks.

J
March 9th, 2005  
AFSteliga

Glad to see a Jimmy on the Forums. Welcome.
March 9th, 2005  
Italian Guy

Renewed war welcome (a polite way of breaking the no-spamming rule, deh-ih-oh ). Ciao man, and thanks for the names origin contribution. Catch ya later.
March 11th, 2005  
DTop

Welcome to the forums and congrats on the retirement. Even if you become a mister, there will always be someone calling you sarge and I'd bet you'll be glad they are.
March 12th, 2005  
KC72

happy to see you