Newbie but oldie

Bernard

Hi

My name as you can see is Bernard, Military forums are not my Forte and anyone who joins the army in the UK these days or even in the days of Northern Ireland needs their head examined. I mean you give someone a gun and tell them not to use it unless shot at? Oh aoowwww that hurt, get realistic....if someone has a gun...as with the police in the UK....even a toy gun these days ....the intent is to use it, espescially if it is pointed at a policeman. Wow what military genius thought of that.

Anyway, apart from loving things that fly, that is nearly as far as I am interested in the military.

My main reason for joining the forum is two fold.

First, it must have been 1968 or 1969 they celebrated the Yangtze Incident of 1949 on I believe it was Blue Peter or Newsround. (Sorry to my American cousins who may not have heard of this).

On this program they showed old news reel of a ship coming down the Yangtze river, (this is where my American cousins may become interested), I believed it was HMS Amethyst at the time, but, according to what I have read so far it could not have been. Why? because HMS Amethyst had most of her gun turrets severely damaged. This ship did not fire or shoot as is the navy term, but it erupted in in a blazed of gunfire that was to be seen to believed. It is only a short clip but I would love to see that again. So, I would love to find the film footage or a copy of it. If it is not the Amethyst as I suspect...Which British warship was it?

Second, My father was in hospital one time and there was a guy on his ward who claimed to be at the hospital in, I believe Burma that was masacred by the Japanese. Obviously he had to have left before that.

I know my father served in India and Burma but he never related any of his exploits there.

What I am curious about is that my father didn't beleive this man was from that hospital. Why? Because he said to this man, "Which ward were you on, I don't remember you?" It is possible my father was never there, mainly because he did not like this man using this as a way of ingrating himself to all and sundry, basically dishonering the men who died there...but ...my mother told me at some point...I am not sure if it was before or after that, he had been injured by a grenade.

The most I know, apart from that given above, of my fathers service in the army, is that my uncle used to belittle him because he was in the glass house most of the time.

Oh I lie, my mother also said that he had to go into some harbour after the King Edward and the Prince of Wales exploded after they got bombed by the Japanese. The result of these two ships exploding is that everyone near the blast died instantly where they stood. My father was detailed to clean up the mess afterwards.

I may not be correct about the Prince of Wales or the King Edward but it was two capitol ships of the Royal navy in the second world war.

If anyone can help I would be grateful.

Thank you for reading this if you have got this far.

Kind Regards Bernard

Last edited:
Welcome aboard Bernard. You may have to post some of the info you're looking for in other threads but I think you'll find someone who can help.

Bernard, I may be able to help you sort out the Yangtze Incident... welcome to the forums.

Welcome Bernard.

Well, it was certainly meant to be The Amethyst that made that bold escaping run from the clutches of the chinese at that time. i haven't heard of other.

Back