A Newbe

twitter

Morning All
I live in Canada or to our American cousins, the place from which all freezing and miserable weather comes from. I have been researching our family genealogy for a long time and have amassed quite a lot of data. However; it is my cousin Terence Giffen I am drawning a blank on and I am hopeful that their may be some WW2 vets out there that can help me. If someone could direct me to the correct forum so that I may post details of my search to date I will do follow your instructions. If this is not within your mandate, please tell me.
Looking forward to participating
Twitter

Welcome aboard twitter.

I'm well into genealogy, but I'm afraid the Canada is a bit out of my realm.

Are there any Canadian Government sites, like we have with the Australian National Archives, listing most Aussie servicemen and providing access to their records?

US Army

Morning 42RM & Unojekips
Thank you for the quick response
I am researching my cousin Terry who joined the US army in New York in "42" and after basic training at Camp Croft ended up a Guadalcanal. I have written to the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis but his records along with thousands of others were burned in the fire of "73" so I just keep trying the internet to see what, if anything, I can pick up. So now here I am hoping someone may fill in the blanks.
Twitter

yes 42 Rm
Terry was born Feb.13, 1922 in Belfast Northern Ireland and came to the US as an infant of 4 months. He died October 2 1997 in North Carolina at the Veterans Admin Hospital. On enlistment his serial number was 12156233. From an old address book my Uncle Dave kept his address was Sgt. Terence Giffen Co.B 298th Infantry APO 70940 Postmaster, San Francisco. From the Islip Long Island paper after the war an article I found said in 1943 he was assigned to the 24th divisional pool and went to Hawaii and then Guadalcanal. That's about all I have.

Welcome, my sister in law is a Canadian so I empathize with you.
On this site, in my short experience, I find that if you ask and you will receive. Somebody will know the answer to you questions or where to direct you.

Morning 42RM
Thanks for the info. Interesting that the file indicated he was born in the Irish Free State which he was not. Actually he was born 58 Ardenlee Avenue Belfast Northern Ireland (source birth notice Belfast News Letter Feb. 1922). The address is the home of his mother's family. Not that it changes anything just an interesting inaccuracy.
Terry was not an unknown nephew/cousin to our family as we visited back and forth over the years.
My research indicated that the 298th was divided into 2 divisions, the 24th and the 25th, part of the 24th mechanized was sent to Europe, I believe. What the rest of the 24th did during the war is unknown to me. Any suggestions?
Great job and thanks for taking time with such an obscure request.
Twitter

Morning 42RM
Thanks for the info. Interesting that the file indicated he was born in the Irish Free State which he was not. Actually he was born 58 Ardenlee Avenue Belfast Northern Ireland (source birth notice Belfast News Letter Feb. 1922). The address is the home of his mother's family. Not that it changes anything just an interesting inaccuracy.
Terry was not an unknown nephew/cousin to our family as we visited back and forth over the years.
My research indicated that the 298th was divided into 2 divisions, the 24th and the 25th, part of the 24th mechanized was sent to Europe, I believe. What the rest of the 24th did during the war is unknown to me. Any suggestions?
Great job and thanks for taking time with such an obscure request.
Twitter
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/f...&GSdy=&GScntry=0&GSst=0&GSgrid=&df=all&GSob=n

http://www.genealogybank.com/gbnk/ssdi/doc/ssdi/v1:112FAA3971539A8B

Don´t know if you have this information.

Morning 42RM
Thanks for the info. Didn't know of the genealogy newspaper bank-looks interesting. I do have Terry's grave location in Calverton Cemetery on Long Island. Thanks for taking time with me for without his service file his movements throughout WW2 are proving impossible to follow.
Twitter

Back