A new Yom Kippur War.

EagleHammer

If Egypt and Syria attacks all at the same time, The egyptians in the south with all their new f-16's And Sams, And Ground forces. And tie them up there, and the Syrians trow some Division in the Golan to tie the Other Israelis up their.I wonder what would happen if the rest of The Syrian army goes thrue the south of Lebanon, being relativly unscaved sens the Egyptians tie all their air force up. Then a third of the Syrian army falls on the Israeli Divisions in the back in the Golan, and the rest of the Syrian army goes for the Capital. Then the Israelis have to draw men from the south wich allows the Egyptians to break thru, all before the Americans have time to help The Israelis. Wouldn't they lose then?

Im just 18, and don't now more then i read, so i don't mind if you point out all the flaws.

all of this is said by a private person, completely detached from my position in the IDF and with no knowlege of IDF stratigic capabilities. I am a tank commander not a division commander.
1- The Sinai penisula is demiliterised. to get through Egyptians forces have to cross the suez cannal and than drive anice few houndred kilometers to the border. All these kilometers are closer to israeli airbases than egyptian ones. Its not enough to have F16s, you need good pilots to fly them, air controll and EW systems to support them, and so on.
2- A syrian division thrown at the golan is likely to become mincemeat very quickly. in the Yom Kippur war the sent somthing around 6 times that and the Israeli Air Force was almost non present. non the less they were utterly destroyed and had it not been for the Iraqis and Jordanians they would have faced the fall of Damascus almost for sure.
3- If foreign sources have anything close to an understanding of Israels order of battle, the IDF can hold both fronts including the lebanese border, while it will be a strain. This means that not only the IDF could defend both fronts, but it an probably hold one whil counter attacking on the other.

4- an this is a much more tactical remark, I would hate to bet on the Syrian fleet of T-55,T-62 and T-72 against Israels Merkavas and Magach tanks. :tank:

It's not worth it to attack Israel unless you yell "ALLAHU AKBAR!" on a regular basis and do not value your life, or you have nuclear weapons. Otherwise they will kill a lot of you in their fight to the death.

War will never take place in middle east now. Becasue Soviet is over, and the Arabs have not refresh theit weapons since collapse of Soviet. If you can hold together, oil is a more powerful weapon than tanks.

Interesting topic. I think there are a few important issues being missed though.

1. I think Syria/Egypt depend too much on U.S. support and aid to risk open war with US since WE support ISRAEL

2. I think Sherman is probably the expert, but IMO Israel is one of the most militarily prepared nations in the world. Not only has their defense force grown, it has been seasoned. Not to mention the fact that most of the population has had military training...

3. Fighting for a homeland is more important to a soldier than fighting to take a acre of land. Motivation is a key element of battlefield strategy. Just ask the psycho insurgents in Iraq...

4. The title of this topic was "A New Yom Kippur War" yet its content is basically that of an OLD YK war. The battlefield is changing, war itself is changing. The idea that military strategists would fall back on an out dated, not to mention unsuccessful strategy is hard to believe. Look into the way war has changed in Iraq, and you will see that the face of war is no longer masses of soldiers marching through fields.

NEVER EVER SAY NEVER when it comes to war. People are stupid, and hatreds run deep. Odds are, someday, some psycho nut will come to power and start up the gears of war.

BTW a AK-47 round penetrates the skull as easily as a M-16 or an M-9. A bullet kills. It doesnt mater if you die by a 1" hole or there is 1" of your body remaining, you are dead. I dont care is the Soviet Union is alive and well or if its Russia/China is supplying the weapons, enemies carry weapons and explosives and go boom. I have seen people be more dangerous with a letter opener than I will ever by with a firearm.

Im .02 short now.

To my Swedish friend, it's just not going to happen.

It would require a change of regime in both the mentioned states, plus Jordan and Iraq to muster enough force for such an attack on Israel, we're talking about a whole different political climate here.

Then it would take some years of buliding up the armed forces of the mentiond states, and massive troop movements towards the israeli border.
Do you really think that the Israelis would let that happen unnoticed?

My bet is that the first sign of anything like that would call for Israeli airstrikes that would level any military structure in the neighbouring countries.

Israel today is a middle east superpower by all means, and as such can not be brought to it's knees by a military mass invation of the kind you mention.
Only guerilla warfare can achieve something in that direction, and lucky for the Israelis, the arabs just haven't discovered how to do that.

Back