New USATODAY report shows NSA had collected Tens of Millions of Phone Calls - Page 10

View Poll Results :Does the NSA have the right to collect Millions of Conversations without a warrent?
Yes, this ability is vital in the war against Terror 10 41.67%
No, this a violation of Privacy. The Govornment must obtain a Warrent. 14 58.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

--
New USATODAY report shows NSA had collected Tens of Millions of Phone Calls

August 30th, 2006  
Rob Henderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarsh
C/LT Henderson

Who killed 3000?

Still doesnt justify it. It wouldnt justify eroding our civil liberties if it were just 3 or 3 Billion dead. You start playing around with our freedoms and the terrorists win. As I quoted earlier "those that forsake abit of freedom for abit of security deserve neither freedom nor security" -Ben Franklin

Damien435

Chief nailed that one down well

Chief used Hitler, I will add another example, Stalin. By the time people realized the harm Stalin (after he died in 1953) had done to the USSR 40 Million people were dead or set to the Gulag. In both examples, Totalitarianism doesn't happen overnight. It started by chipping away people freedom little by little, and when people finally wake up, they discover they arn't in Kansas anymore.

You also mistaken to think Bush leaving Office will be the end of the Bush Administration. Its not really the 'Bush Administration', in reality its the 'Neocon administration', and you can be sure they have lined up another puppet that they are just awaiting to insert into the White House.
Forgive me if I feel that I would rather be secure with a bit of government interference into something I hardly use than be bombed out my ears because Im next to a base and the gov't didnt know that terrorists were planning on bombing it...I value my life.
August 30th, 2006  
Damien435

That's Germany and Russia in the 30's, totally different than the United States in 2006. Neither Germany nor Russia had a (postive) history of Democracy, Germany had 15 years of filth and poverty under the Weimar Republic, Russia had none, the United States has 200+ years of Democracy under our belts, we know it works and we consider our nation (being the most powerful nation in the world) as a prime example of the superiority of democracy over any other form of government.

Chief and MMarsh, what you guys are ignoring is that the military, the key any leader would need to try and overthrow democracy in America, would never, EVER allow anyone to overthrow the elected government and proclaim themselves "Dictator for Life" and the average Joe most likely wouldn't go along with it either. Unlike Germany and Russia any potential dictator would not be whisked into power and given a golden key to the nation, they would have to fight for it ever step of the way and they would fail.
August 31st, 2006  
Chief Bones

Part of the equation you seem to be ignoring, is the very real attack on America's civil liberties and Constitutionally guaranteed rights.

When I mentioned Orwell's 1984 and Big Brother, I was more than half serious. Because of the Patriot Act, GW's warrant-less wiretaps, FISA's dumbing down probable cause to "reasonable cause" when the warrant mentions terrorists (or) terrorism ... and other policies that have been crafted since 9/11 ... the United States has come closer to 1984 and Big Brother than at any time in our history.

The architect of this rapine of our rights, is the very person who swore to uphold the law and to protect the Constitution ... The President of the United States GW Bush.

I realise that I will probably be accused of 'Bush" bashing ... but ... who else is sitting in the Oval Office and is behind the decisions which put into action, attacks on our freedoms and our rights?

This attack on freedoms and liberties was condoned and ignored in Germany and Russia, and look at how many millions of deaths resulted because their enemies were allowed to get away with their subversion.
--
August 31st, 2006  
Donkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix80
You shouldnt be worried if you are not doing any thing wrong.

Indeed, this is a good program for the bad guys and those who are involved in criminal and terrorist activities.

Your 21st century liberty has not been changed/affected.
It doesnt mater if you are doing anything wrong or not, the whole reason these are wrong and why our forefathers would agree is that it greatly restricts the ability to overthrow a tyranical goverment if necessary....

It goes against the winning of the cold war, fighting Hitler in WWII and so on...However it is probably being blown way out of proportion which is typical of the US news media...