new USAF BDUs

samirine

So what does everyone think about the idea of a new BDU for the Air Force:?:

In case you don't know what I'm talking about, the USAF is currently testing a new uniform to possible replace the current utility uniforms/BDUs/camies whatever you want to call 'em. It is going to be...blue.

Well that makes more sense than taking camoflage Army BDUs and slapping twenty brightly colored patches on them. Kind of ruins the whole purpose of the camoflage. Anyway, do you have a link for what these things look like?

I think the uniform that samirine is referring to was pictured on the cover or Army/Air Force Times a little while back. It's only one of several possible entries that USAF is evaluating and will not necessarily be adopted.

BTW, the Army has now decided that NLT 1 Oct 05, all soldiers will wear a full color US Flag on their right sleeve - so much for camouflage discipline
:roll:

Gunner13 said:
BTW, the Army has now decided that NLT 1 Oct 05, all soldiers will wear a full color US Flag on their right sleeve - so much for camouflage discipline
:roll:

Do you know how big that flag will be?
We have our flag on the right sleeve as well.
It's only 4x2,5cm, so camouflage is really no problem at all.

No I can't find the link. :( And GuyontheRight There have been a few debates about it on af.mil, you can find them under letters I think.

Yes Gunner13 is right they are currently testing a whole bunch of options, including the kind made from very small dots like the Marines just got. And of course it will be years before they're done testing and deciding and then they have to phase it in... The military is only speedy when they want you to be somewhere yesterday.

Thanks for those links! They're awesome and exactly what I was talking about!

I kind of like the BDUs we have now personally. For one thing these new ones appear to have the blouse tucked in, and it looks uncomfortable! I would miss my pockets too. As for the blue color...I suppose it doesn't really matter that they won't blend in with anything because honestly what do the woodland patterned ones blend in with on a base anyway? They should give you brick, stucco, and tarmac colored ones for that. :lol: However, I admit I think it would feel a bit odd to be wearing blue/tiger striped camo!

My sympathies to the Air Force guys, you all should write your congressmen if they decide to make you wear that stuff.

I'm with you. I don't like the new Marine camo digital camo either, but if it'll save lives... Contrary to the colored flag on all Army uniforms huh?

The US Flag on the BDUs will be 2 X 3.25 inches (5.08 X 8.25 cm), if very colorful (red, white & blue with a gold border) and is displayed in a reverse fly position (that is, with the blue and white canton forward as if the unit's colors were streaming in the wind as the unit advanced). It was already authorized for wear during joint or multinational operations overseas, but now we all have to wear it - deployed or not.

In an emergency, you sure could cover it with hundred mile an hour tape, but that will not go ever well with a lot of people, so we will wear it and bear up (first the black beret and now this! The next thing DA will do is make us wear the Army Blue Uniform instead of the Army Green Uniform -OOOH wait - that's an option DA is looking at too :shock: )

Really, Sir? When would we be expected to wear the blues? Those dang things cost too much to wear all the time.

Damn

i personnaly dont like them

they are blue for one and most of the time those ar for night ops and or urban terrain.. or so im told.. never used never had to

the new digital cammies .. hmm

they are much more comfortable than the other.. they have pockets where you need em and not where you dont..

they are lighter.. material makes it better for cold / hot transition..

and yes they work

in a desert field on guy in desert digitals couldnt be spotted at a glance .. had to be pointed out...lol
bad thing if he is lost good thing if hes lost behind enemy lines

i like the digital cammies

the boots are cool too
but you cant polish them anymore... thats a good/bad thing

you cant iron your cammies anymore!!!

which is a good/ bad thing..

MARINES IMO are going for a less garrison feel and a more deployed feel

Gunner13 said:
The US Flag on the BDUs will be 2 X 3.25 inches (5.08 X 8.25 cm), if very colorful (red, white & blue with a gold border)

Hm, that's quite large..
Put some infrared color in it as well, and you will have a great target both day and night... :lol:

As for the digital camo, that's supposed to be some pretty spiffy stuff. Of course I could just that since I don't have to wear it... :D And no ironing/polishing :shock: eep! What would we do?

Army Blue eh? That should be... interesting to wear all the time. You guys will look like Air Force! :roll: Trying to cross into the blue?

And as for the flag, well Redleg summed it up pretty well,
Redleg said:
Put some infrared color in it as well, and you will have a great target both day and night... :lol:
Hope they don't do that to us!

samirine said:
Army Blue eh? That should be... interesting to wear all the time. You guys will look like Air Force! :roll: Trying to cross into the blue?

The Army has had dress blues for quite awhile now (I don't want to put any date on it, but they have been around since long before I was born, like WWII), as well as Mess Blues (which make us look like cruise ship waiters). The Dress Blues are a step up from our green Class A's. We actually have Dress Whites for arid environments as well.

And anyway, they look much better than the Air Force's gear. :wink:

Back