new USAF BDUs

Desert Blossom said:
They said they wanted something distinguishing...blah blah blah :roll:

lol well it is distinguishing, be good bdu's for navy if ya get my drift... just messin, id still wear them thou, although I like the MARPAT better as for the 100mph tape, sounds like a rednecks gift from heaven lol...

samirine said:
So what does everyone think about the idea of a new BDU for the Air Force:?:

In case you don't know what I'm talking about, the USAF is currently testing a new uniform to possible replace the current utility uniforms/BDUs/camies whatever you want to call 'em. It is going to be...blue.
why do they even need BDU's they got the plane to protect them

ok I am former AF but in the army and the first time I saw the "NEW" AF BDU I cracked up laughing even with the Security forces beret it still looked Stupid but hey it ain't like the army is doing any better . I swear what is the upper echelon of our military thinking. I mean they gave everyone black berets,made the AF look corporate in full service dress, changed the BDU's , and now they are going to change the army Class A's. Was I the only one taught if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I totally agree, you where BD's fro one reason these days and that is to try and stay hidden, and not to be spotted.

Sorry no thankyou those are ugly and besides the Army and the Marines are on the right track the new BD's are digital, and the Air force either needs their BD's in Air Force Blue or need to stay with the one's they have, plus they should make the transfer to digital.

The Army starts widespread deployment of the new digital uniform, I think either this fall or they have al ready started issuing them.

Digital BD's are better because they bring down the probability of being spotted.

After 18 yrs of service I am getting sick and tired of all the AF uniform changes. In my time alone, I have gone through 6 different uniform changes and this one by far is the worst. It's obvious the AF is having an identity problem, but this uniform is not the answer. I like the new digital design but the color is disastrous. the other services already mock fun at us for and it seems we are only adding to their bag of choices. Come on leadership let's put our priorities where they belong!

Joe2 said:
the other services already mock fun at us for and it seems we are only adding to their bag of choices.
I thought all the services made fun of each other anyway?
Joe2 said:
Come on leadership let's put our priorities where they belong!
I'd say their priorities shouldn't be in protecting their personnel from remarks made by other branches, I'd say they should be focussing on getting their personnel the newest en most advanced gear possible, even if it doesn't look "cool".
But I'm not in the air force, so it's easy for me to say....

I agree about services making fun about each other, that doesn't bother me..it's actually fun. But the new AF uniform makes us look like clowns!

the new AF BDU's are the blue version of the Marine Corps digitals, right? from a distance it looks like one of those blue hawaiian shirts.

they should stick to the old BDU's

Damien said:
the new AF BDU's are the blue version of the Marine Corps digitals, right? from a distance it looks like one of those blue hawaiian shirts.

they should stick to the old BDU's

actually no they look like something the brits used in desert storm, but was changed to blue, instead of desert.

Here's my question. What the hell were they thinking when they jacked the Marine Corps UT cover? It sems to me that the Air Force decided to change their uniforms right after the Marines did. It kinda makes me wonder if there isn't some secondary purpose for changing the uniform(maybe recruit people who want to dress like Marines without having to BE one?). I hope the whole idea gets dumped.

silent driller said:
Here's my question. What the h**l were they thinking when they jacked the Marine Corps UT cover? It sems to me that the Air Force decided to change their uniforms right after the Marines did. It kinda makes me wonder if there isn't some secondary purpose for changing the uniform(maybe recruit people who want to dress like Marines without having to BE one?). I hope the whole idea gets dumped.

Dude that utility cover is also used by the Army, but the Air Force always used to use berrets. Plus I've seen so of the Naval Ground Forces have that utility cover before too.

Gimmie my cover back zoomie.Why in God's name do you guys need cammies? Who are ya hidin from on a flight line? And Blue? All I can say is..........BAWHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol:

They stop at one of those MickeyD/TCBY/gas station rest places and go in and order. The woman takes a good long stare at their green uniforms and finally thanks them for their selfless devotion to the park service!!!

Memorial Day 1991:

on the flightline at McClellan AFB, California:

its not really an airshow as it is an open house. my aircrew reenactment group (427th Historical Group, [B-17 crew]) was wondering around looking at the displays in WWII flight gear.

a lady in her late 40s early 50s walked up to us and said "Thank you for your service in Saudi Arabia"... we were standing near a C-141 with it's crew in current flight gear. we just shook our heads when she left...

as far as the pointed 'Marine' cover, it's the same style and design that the ARMY and AIR CORP wore from WWII until the 50s when they went to the flat round 'ranger' cap. its just that the marines started starching it sometime after WWII...

the blue/grey/green camoflage pattern actually works pretty well on concrete and vertical structures...

david

03USMC said:
Gimmie my cover back zoomie.Why in God's name do you guys need cammies? Who are ya hidin from on a flight line? And Blue? All I can say is..........BAWHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol:

it is the work uniform and the air force has special ops also

Ugh. Sorry guys, don't like those at all. They don't look very practical. Canadian AF BDU's are pretty good, just standard CADPAT with blue rank insignias on the slip-ons.

I doubt Air For special ops will be wearing that blue crap out on missions.
It is utterly stupid.
I'm sorry but when I see a paper pushing commando with a Black berret, even that cracks me up. Or someone standing guard at the check point... yeah how Commando-ish.
And now this.
Makes me glad I won't be going into the US Military!

the_13th_redneck said:
I doubt Air For special ops will be wearing that blue crap out on missions.
It is utterly stupid.
I'm sorry but when I see a paper pushing commando with a Black berret, even that cracks me up. Or someone standing guard at the check point... yeah how Commando-ish.
And now this.
Makes me glad I won't be going into the US Military!

Well the point is that the uniform sucks, and i do not see any reason to change it

I believe I saw Chemo66 post on another thread that the blue BDUs had indeed been scraped due to budgeting considerations.

Back