new USAF BDUs

The wear of the Army Blue Uniform to replace the Army Green Uniform is just a concept right now with no date attached to it. However, it is something that the current Chief of Staff is considering really seriously. They would have to make some serious modifications to it to make it work, like redesigning the pants so they have real pockets and a different shirt. However, no one has said anything about the shoulder straps for commissioned and warrant officer's rank insignia - can't imagine wearing those around the office :p :lol:

I have always thought that the Blue Mess uniform made us look like wine waiters and that the White Mess uniform made us look like busboys, but that's just me.

Yep, it's silly season again and the little gnomes up at DA just don't have enough to do.

Just a matter of time before we're all wearing those silver jumpsuits from the sci-fi movies. :lol:

Redneck said:
Just a matter of time before we're all wearing those silver jumpsuits from the sci-fi movies. :lol:
LOL, yep!

Oh and I know the Army has had blue uniforms for a while... just to wear them all the time? And Mess Dress for everybody always looks ridiculous!

Oh, a funny story about Army Green uniforms from Absolutely American: Four Years at West Point, by David Lipsky. (A great book btw!) Anyway, apparently the commander of West Point (he's what a 3 star? 4 star?) was driving with his staff. They stop at one of those MickeyD/TCBY/gas station rest places and go in and order. The woman takes a good long stare at their green uniforms and finally thanks them for their selfless devotion to the park service!!! LOL, so the Academy decided it needed some good PR and hired this guy to write a book about them.

samarine: Yep, that sounds like the common US Citizen - they have no idea who serves in their own Armed Forces, nor what most of the uniforms look like. I was mistaken for a Marine while wearing my Blues at my brother's wedding years ago - despite the fact that the uniform is completely different.

I think it comes a lack of awareness on the part of the US public (few people know anyone in the Armed Forces and we don't always do a good job a letting them know we are here) and just plain laziness - the info is there, just hit the websites.

I don't know what the problem is... AF BDU's are koooool. After they get off work, they can wear them to the Club! Woo Hoo!

Seriously, though, they look really retro-80's. Like I woke up in "The Breakfast Club" or something. Kinda cheesy, as if they were breakdancers. I think the whole concept is so people can take them even LESS seriously than they do now! :lol:

Gunner13 said:
samarine: Yep, that sounds like the common US Citizen - they have no idea who serves in their own Armed Forces, nor what most of the uniforms look like. I was mistaken for a Marine while wearing my Blues at my brother's wedding years ago - despite the fact that the uniform is completely different.
I've been asked if my uniform was a Halloween costume before... :(

And you reallly can't blame them on the Marine thing....I mean they just have so many uniforms. :lol: Why the Dept. of the Navy deems it necessary for sailors and marines to have quite so many uniforms I will never understand...(oh and I am joking btw!!!)

New AF BDUs

I like the new look of the AF BDU's, because its different, and its original. I personally think that the hat is a little much, as I would prefer a black beret for home station wear when not deployed over the marine's hat. They wear that hat because the 7 points have specific symbolism to the Corps. It would be wrong for the Air Force to just up and start wearing their hat.

I like the way the marine's digi's shirts are, with the functional slanted chest pockets, and pockets on the sleves, as opposed to 4 on the front. The fact that it will be an iron free uniform, that is always a plus. I hate having to spend hours ironing out the double creases that the cleaners always puts in my uniforms. And the polish free boots I am on the fence. I don't mind polishing my boots now, because that gives a professional image. At least more professional than the rough leather desert boots. I can't imagine wearing black boots like that here at home.

A few things I honestly don't like about the uniform are the fact that you will have to tuck in the top, and wear that ridiculous belt. I also can't see total integration of the "AF Crew Top" with the embroidered name and AF logo. Why add something that we really don't need to function? I could understand there's times that you have to have your BDU top off to do your job, and its uncomfortable to wear the BDU top when its 115 degrees outside, but we didn't join the military here for a life of total comfort. At least I didn't. I think I already mentioned the hat... Oh, yeah, I read this last week in a base publication that the new uniform will not be worn with blousing straps, the pants will just hang down over the boots- tailored to fit. WHY? I am a firefighter, and I find it easier to jump into my firefighting boots when my pants are bloused. Its more comfortable, too, since you don't have the moving folds of pantleg when you're trying to leg-lock a ladder.

The patches... what to say... what to say... I am on the fence here, too, since I worked hard to earn the right to wear a Fire Protection Badge and my Honor Guard Patch on my uniform, and its definitely something I take pride in. I don't mind losing the MAJCOM badge, or the Unit Patch, because its not necessary for airmen to wear it. We're not flight crew, for the most part. In fact, the MAJCOM is even optional in my profession. We don't wear the Unit Patches on most of our cammies, either, due to the placement of the Fire Protection Badge. I wouldn't mind moving my rank to collar lapels, like the Army and Marine Corps. I think that's alot more convenient, especially when you're promoting fast ( in grades E-1 through E-5). I had to change stripes almost every 4 to 6 months on my way to SrA. I am not happy that we, the Airman, have to pay to change our rank. Around here, this runs up the cost of uniform maintenance. It costs 5 bucks per patch, ( rank is considered a patch) and just to get one uniform shirt done for myself, it runs 30 bucks for all the alterations.

Overall this is my view on the New Uniform, let me know what you think.

Welcome to the forum.

As I don't have to wear it, my opinion doesn't count for much, but as far as style goes, I agree with you about the Marine cover, the tucked in blouse, and the rigging belt. To be honest, although the camo pattern and colors were a shock to the system at first, they are kind of growing on me (I'm still glad no one is asking me to wear them, though). However, I believe that those uniforms will be a liability in combat zones. Although our airbases are very well secured, I do not believe that they are invulnerable to raiding parties (see the raids on airbases in Vietnam), and that Airmen wearing blue camoflage will be at a strong disadvantage should they ever need to make use of their camo. I believe it is a bad move to remove the functionality of any piece of equipment that personnel will be taking into combat in favor of fashion.

As a person that had to make the transition from green cotton fatiques to permanent press cotton fatiques to BDUs with a simple aircrew name tag to BDUs with everything back on it...all I can say is I am glad Im retired and will never, ever have to wear that...that...that monstrosity. I even survived the episode when some genius was going to make the medical service dress in a purple uniform (green, blue and white combine to make purple, sort of).

To those that will have to go through this: all i can say is soldier on. :D

The digital BDU are quite impressive i have 2 of em being in the reserves and all and with night cam you caulditn see me 3 m away...

Okay, BLUE cammies? WTF? Why not just give them a sky blue jumper with fleecy little clouds on it? Or maybe that dayglo orange and red cammo you can get at the mall? As far as a flag on the sleeve, why not green it down, or at least mute the colors? Let's see, blue helmets, red white and blue sleeves, why not boots with flashing lights that play the Star-Spangled Banner as you sneak through the jungle? What's next, requiring Brigade HQ to fly a 12'x18' American flag from it's concealed position? This is ridiculous crap dreamed up by morons who have no regard for the lives of their soldiers. Also, if all the services SHARED the same BDU's, wouldn't that simplify the production/distribution of uniforms? $5 says one of Bush's campaign supporters owns the company that will get the contract for these monstrosities.

Okay, BLUE cammies? Why not just give them a sky blue jumper with fleecy little clouds on it? Or maybe that dayglo orange and red cammo you can get at the mall?

HEY! Don't give USAF any ideas like this - someone might think its a good idea and go for it! (Personally, I think the clouds sound cute - on preschooler’s jumper :) ) Seriously, the Blude BDUs are a concept not an acutal uniform

As far as a flag on the sleeve, why not green it down, or at least mute the colors?
I think we would, but the US Flag Code prohibits anything but full color.

Also, if all the services SHARED the same BDU's, wouldn't that simplify the production/distribution of uniforms? $5 says one of Bush's campaign supporters owns the company that will get the contract for these monstrosities.
We did until the Marines changed to the digitized pattern and that move started long before George Bush became president.

Okay, I can see the flag being full color, I can even see requiring it to be worn, but maybe just smaller? Also, how long have US forces been required to wear it while deployed? I guess it doesn't matter if it's worn by non-deployed troops.

yeah but for CCTs and PJs, but if your around the base the correct camofaluge would be brick with windows painted. So the idea of riding your bike across the base wearing woodland BDUs makes mo since

:lol: I was just over at Vandenberg AFB Friday and I saw the new uniforms in person for the first time. That blue is a hell of a lot brighter than it looks in those photographs. Looks like Jean Claude van Damme's uniform in Street Fighter. :lol:

Back