New US Army Physical Fitness Test

USRedLeg

The US Army had decided to try and update its physical fitness test which currently consists of push-ups, sit ups, and a 2 mile run with different minimum scores for men and women.

They now want to create a test that is more akin to the stresses of combat. It will now consist of a 1.5 mile run, 60 yard shuttle run, standing long jump, rows, and one minute of push-ups with no breaks. The new test will have the same minimum scores for both men and women as well as add a combat readiness obstacle course that must be completed annually.

The exact information about the new physical fitness tests can be found in the link below.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110302/ap_on_re_us/us_army_new_fitness_test_6

What are all of your thoughts on the new Physical Fitness programs?

Well, it looks easier. But, I guess the combat readiness obstacle course is suppose to be hard. Probably suppose to resembel the Marine combat readiness obstacle course. Also, I read somewhere that its going to be harder to max. My expectation is it will be easier to pass and harder to max. I do like that women have the same standard though.

I guess so.. if they expect you to do 100 pushups in 1 minute that would be a challenge!

Easier to pass?
As if the current test isn't easy enough?? I REALLY don't understand how people can fail that.

The PT test is supposed to be combat oriented. If the current PT test were able to accurately measure combat fitness, then soldiers should be coming back from these deployments able to max it out....yet, they come back in worse shape. When I came home I had a 40 point drop in my PT test. But, I could road march anyone into the ground. The new fitness program is designed to better simulate the types of movements you'll be doing in combat...i.e. carrying heavy loads with short bursts of energy, agility, upper body strength, and climbing over obstacles. I don't care how good of shape you're in, chances are, you can't go all out for 2 whole minutes. But for a minute, this is reasonable and I think this is what the new PT test is designed to simulate. Plus, the combat obstacle course looks like it could be a real b*tch. Glad to see the Army moving in this direction.

USMC has a PFT and a CFT you have to pass both. The Army changes are still in the planning phase. Other things have been floated like an ammo can run on a balance beam............this oughta be fun. 3 MORE YRS.

"The new test will have the same minimum scores for both men and women"

Oh no! Say it ain't so! I've been saying for years that different standards for men and women were discrimination.:idea:

This new test is stupid. If it aint broke, don't fix it. Simple, if you are in shape you will be able to run the 2 miles within standard. Same for push up and sit up standard. Just so many *******s failing it now, the army wants to drop the standards to increase numbers. The PT test isn't hard. When I first came in I had trouble with it but I eventually was able to get up there. If I can do it anyone can. Enough bitching.

Like I said before, if it ain't broke, dont fix it. Just like the ACU's. Don't get me started on that. I blend in with pigeon **** and gravel.

when did anyone say the PT test was combat oriented? The PT test was designed to measure your ability to perform in combat situations and the stressful duties of military life. Now you don't have to get a 300. All you have to get is a 180. If you can't achieve 60 percent in every event then what the **** are you doing in the military????? Keep the PT test the way it is. It makes sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some Bozo at TRADOC said it was combat oriented in the first release I saw on it, but thats TRADOC.

Back