New US Army Combat Boot

The Adidas doesn't look to tough in my opion it looks quite flimsy

AussieNick said:
Here is a link to Highmark Shoes, they are the maker of Taipans.

http://www.highmark.com.au/military.htm

They are made with Kangaroo skin, it's very tough compared to cow leather.

wow they dont come in big sizes im 14 and im wearing size 11 so i guess when i join the army i cant where them they'll be too small

Aaron said:
The Adidas doesn't look to tough in my opion it looks quite flimsy.

i know they've been combat tested so they can't be that bad. it was actually suggested i get them from a police swat team member, i believe he's also in the army reserve. he said he loves them and he's had them for a couple years, so that really influenced my decision to get them. i haven't had any problems with them yet.

Anything would have been better than the combat boots issued to us in the early `60 s. They were full leather with a toe and heel cap. We later changed to a lighter and shorter top brogan style with no capped toes and heels. Both styles were leather insole with no padding of any sort. Most of the troops I went through basic training with had terrible blisters and open sores on their feet after eight weeks. Black wool socks didn't help the problem much.

after 2 field problems with the new boot, I will say I like it. The inner gortex liner is huge during the winter months. I remember hearing people complain about cold wet feet in both of those field problems. My boots may have been wet, but my feet stayed dry. One bad thing is it seems my feet sweat a lot in the boot. During the summer months I will keep to the jungle boot until the Army switches to the new uniform. Then no more black boots for the Army.

When I was with the 7th Infantry Division we marched 25 miles a day in 10 hours and when we had to do a hundred mile march in four days there was no such thing as a comfortable boot

Yeah, I know how you feel. But at that point nothing is "comfortable", be it boots, pants, hat, pat, webbing, rifle. Everything causes discomfort doesn't it.

What is the best way to break in boots and make them more comfortable?

Wear them to the pub. You do a lot of standing/walking at the pub and don't realise it. Plus when your totally plastered walk home in them. It works a treat. A few trips to the local boozer, and you'll have boots that fit just right.

Honestly the only real way to wear them in, is to wear them in. Wear them all you can. You can try soaking them in warm water, wearing them in the shower etc, but I think it doesn't make much difference really.

terra-boot.jpg

By the way, this is the standard issue Australian boot. Very good mind you.

boots-taipan.jpg

These are pretty much the other popular option in the australian army. These Taipan boots are tough as nails and comfortable as well.

The reason why I asked is because I'm used to there being set procedures for breaking in ice-skates, so I was wondering if you can do anything special with boots.

The combat infantry boot type 2 or what ever they call it is being issued to all basic traines because they have to get it out of stock because the armys new uniform no longer includes leather boots.
6months and counting, I assume that we will get issued those in the tan version but i dont know for sure. My personal prefrence is the jungle boot from ranger joes the "sog survivor" light weight no insole i removed the toe cups from mine they rock.

For breakin in boots get them wet then go on a ruck march and just wear the boot alot but make sure to include some hills when your breakin them in.

Back