New Uniform For USN

tomtom22 said:
All of this is almost two years old. This is news?

The article Navy Boy posted is from 2004 and was not considered as an acceptable pattern.

The Navy just decided to adopt the new BDUs with the MARPAT this year, details are in the link I posted in my previous post.

moving0target said:
While I understand it's strictly an example, I really don't understand why Navy personnel would wear the pattern of BDUs pictured. In reality, why would Navy personnel need camo at all?
Right from the article in the first/initial post:
The working uniform design is not intended to camouflage Sailors against the background of a ship. Instead, the multiple colors on the uniform - navy blue, deck gray, haze gray and black - are common in the maritime working environment, making them a more practical choice.

"What we have heard from Sailors aboard ship is if they get a small spot of paint or grease on a pair of solid-color utilities or coveralls, it’s easily visible and detracts from the uniform’s appearance," Scott said. "With the Navy Working Uniform’s multicolor pattern, a small spot or stain may be almost entirely unnoticeable."

Another positive aspect of a multicolor pattern is that wrinkles caused by daily wear would be less visible, and the new uniforms will be wash and wear with no ironing required.

tomtom22 said:
All of this is almost two years old. This is news?
Sir, I believe the decision to replace most of the enlisted service uniforms (i.e., winter blues, summer whites, etc.) with service khakis is a relatively new thing. It looks like they were considering khaki and gray, and khaki won out (just saw an article in March in the Navy Times announcing the khakis as the chosen uniform).

I didn't see anything (or remember) on what was decided for rank insignia. If they wear it on the collar, it'll be tough to pick out -- but if they were it on the sleeve, they'll look like Marines (not that they don't already).

Damien435 said:
So the Navy's getting rid of the all white uniforms that remind me of Mt. Stay Puft? That's too bad.

I doubt it. They seem to be adding newer uniform style/design to the current existing uniforms

Damien435 said:
So the Navy's getting rid of the all white uniforms that remind me of Mt. Stay Puft? That's too bad.
Sort of. My understanding is that the short-sleeve summer white uniform for enlisted sailors E1-E6 is being eliminated by the new khakis. The service dress white uniform (long-sleeved, with the blue scarf tied off at the front) remains, as do all the white uniforms for E7-E9 and all officers.

BTW, is it me, or does that female sailor above resemble Catherine Bell (of "JAG" fame)?

AJChenMPH said:
I didn't see anything (or remember) on what was decided for rank insignia. If they wear it on the collar, it'll be tough to pick out -- but if they were it on the sleeve, they'll look like Marines (not that they don't already).
Hmmmmm, reading through the article to which PJ posted the link, it looks like it'll be metal rank insignia on the collars only. And I guess going with the service khakis save everyone money -- they'll just take the poly-wool shirts that CPOs and officers already wear and match them with the pants and skirts from the service dress blue uniform.

Last edited:
Well, I can't deny the uniforms looks cool. Any idea how can I get a hold of a set of those uniforms? I collect military uniforms from all oever the world. So guys and links?

AJChenMPH said:
BTW, is it me, or does that female sailor above resemble Catherine Bell (of "JAG" fame)?

I thought so too which of course can mean only one thing, it is the same person. I smell a conspiracy, dun dun dun!

Thanks c/Commander!

Any idea when are the development phase over?

Any one here seem a Navy personnel in one ot them?
I guess it will look quite weird!

Thanks c/Commander!

Any idea when are the development phase over?

Any one here seem a Navy personnel in one ot them?
I guess it will look quite weird!

I know this thread is ancient but the NWUs started phase-in in January. I ordered my nametapes from the NEX already. They should be in tomorrow, and I plan to buy two sets of the uniform on cruise later this spring. I'll post some pictures when they're all ready to go.

REALLY looking forward to not having to iron wash khakis/cammies or shine boots anymore!

Last edited:
Little update: tapes came in today. It's not as blue as I thought, actually looks pretty good I think.

Attachments

• navydigi.jpg
    navydigi.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 7
Wouldn´t a flameproof grey coverall be the best choice?

I mean if you forget the fashion aspect for a change..

That´s all good and well, but I stand by my comment on the grey coverall,s..Maybe even with a grey hood to be able to make your head blend into the bulkheads...:roll:

Back