New Uniform For USN

Dammit, my unit just bought MARPAT woodland digital BDUs, and it'll cost an arm and a leg to replace our khakis and dungarees.... :evil:

is this uniform fire proof?
the RN made that mistake in the falklands.
the RN wear this
1011267044m.jpg

the gear the guy on the right is wearing.

Hegario said:
What's wrong with the traditional Donald Duck type of costume?

maybe they don't want to look like donald duck :)

you'd think they'd go digital at least, since the other services are switching.

In my opinion I hate the looks of it. It kind of does look Sci-Fi and just looks horrible to me. The army should stick what it has been using for decades.

The Army has a similar new uniform too

It makes the US military look so cheap.
It all started with the stupid beret thing. It's a universally accepted fact ... at least before the US military did it, that only crap militaries have desk clerks sporting berets.

well let's look at the digital uniforms as more than a style thing. i really doubt they're putting them out because the ole camo was out of fashion.

The USMC Digital cammo was out of neccessity because a better form of camouflage came out.
Really I can see that thing working much better than the standard cammo.

But that Navy thing is just unneccessary.

Redneck said:
drilldownmaster2004 said:
Well all of the branches have the same cover, except the the MARINES, they have the edges on the cover.

1. Marines are under the Department of the Navy.
I know that, but still they have their own Identity
2. The USN and the USAF have different soft covers than the USA does.
USN and USAF are the USA

So what exactly is the new uniform replacing?

the_13th_redneck said:
The USMC Digital cammo was out of neccessity because a better form of camouflage came out.
Really I can see that thing working much better than the standard cammo.

But that Navy thing is just unneccessary.

I've seen camparisons in the field between the old camo vs the digi. The digital really does blend in better with the environment. Not only that it's IR treated so it gives some IR protection to the user. But protection against IR is a whole new game that spans more then just your cammies.
http://militarymorons.com/misc/misc.html

EagleStrike said:
In my opinion I hate the looks of it. It kind of does look Sci-Fi and just looks horrible to me. The army should stick what it has been using for decades.

The Army has a similar new uniform too

Who knows maybe the navy has a "space" ship on which they will fly to a distant galaxy to fight on a blue planet where the sky's atmosphere makes things blue?

03USMC said:
wait, does the navy and the marines have the same cover?

Yes the utility cover is the same. Difference is an EGA on the Marine Cover.
Well all of the branches have the same cover, except the the MARINES, they have the edges on the cover. So back to my question is it the same for navy and marines or not?

Answering the Q of the coast guard guy.... http://www.armysurplusworld.com/display.asp?subDepartmentID=123

The Navy and Marine Corps use the same style of Utility Cover (BDU) .Sailors permitted to wear BDU's Ethier OD or Camo wear a utility cover sans Marine Corps Embelm.

Well all of the branches have the same cover, except the the MARINES, they have the edges on the cover

1. Marines are under the Department of the Navy.
I know that, but still they have their own Identity
2. The USN and the USAF have different soft covers than the USA does.
USN and USAF are the USA

So what exactly is the new uniform replacing?

1. Correct.
2. USA= United States Army
3. The uniform is replacing the work khakis, winter working blues, aviation greens, dungarees, I think. Khakis are worn by officers and NCOs (Chief Petty Officer to Master Chief Petty Officer). Dungarees are worn by E-1 through E-6. Aviation greens are Marine-style uniforms worn by airmen for working. And because the Navy is veeery secretive, I can't find photos of any uniforms except the dungarees. Sorry.

Dungarees

laundry.jpg

New Navy Uniforms

FL_navy_101804.jpg

WASHINGTON - The Navy introduced a set of concept working uniforms for Sailors E-1 through O-10 Oct. 18, in response to the fleet’s feedback on current uniforms. The new uniforms, which will begin wear-testing this winter, were unveiled aboard USS Iwo Jima (LHD 7) at an All Hands call with Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy (MCPON) (SS/AW) Terry D. Scott.

The Navy Working Uniform (NWU) concepts offer four variations to be tested in the fleet. Each variation offers a combination of different patterns, dominant colors, fabric finishes and designs.

Scott said these concepts are only the initial version of what the working uniform may ultimately look like. To assist in deciding exactly what uniforms Sailors will be wearing, Task Force Uniform (TFU) developed a set of concept uniforms.

"The concept uniforms are much like a concept car at an auto show," Scott said. "It’s only a preliminary design of the final model, and judging from the fleet’s response, we can make modifications to the final design."

The Task Force Uniform initiative began after Sailors in the fleet expressed their concerns about the current status of Navy uniforms. Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) Adm. Vern Clark determined there should be an evaluation of the uniform requirements.

Upon completion of a Navywide survey last year, TFU went to work on interpreting more than 40,000 surveys with the help of an organizational psychologist to determine what changes Sailors desired. Some of the concerns expressed were that there are too many uniforms, they wear out quickly and are difficult to maintain. They also commented on the need for a working uniform that would be practical in different working environments and climates. The majority of respondents said they preferred a Battle Dress Uniform (BDU) style working uniform.

The Navy Working Uniform is being designed to take the place of utilities, wash khaki, coveralls, woodland green, aviation green, winter working blue and tropical working uniforms. The normal wear life is designed to last up to 18 months, compared to the current wear life of six months for the working uniform.

The working uniform design is not intended to camouflage Sailors against the background of a ship. Instead, the multiple colors on the uniform - navy blue, deck gray, haze gray and black - are common in the maritime working environment, making them a more practical choice.

"What we have heard from Sailors aboard ship is if they get a small spot of paint or grease on a pair of solid-color utilities or coveralls, it’s easily visible and detracts from the uniform’s appearance," Scott said. "With the Navy Working Uniform’s multicolor pattern, a small spot or stain may be almost entirely unnoticeable."

Another positive aspect of a multicolor pattern is that wrinkles caused by daily wear would be less visible, and the new uniforms will be wash and wear with no ironing required.

"Why should we need to iron a working uniform? The NWU fabric treatment will be a considerable improvement over the previous working uniforms," said Scott. The proposed plan is for the NWU to be the primary working uniform used in all Navy communities and duties, including watchstanding. The NWU is also being designed for wear outside the gate. Sailors will be able to go off base without having to change from the working uniform into their service uniform or civilian clothes.

With the CNO’s approval for a wear test, the Navy is working to provide as many possible options for Sailors to choose from during the wear-test period.

Among the options will be:

- Woodland versus digital pattern
- Blue versus gray as the uniform’s predominant color
- Tapered blouse versus standard-style blouse
- Rounded versus pointed collar
- Performance T-shirt versus cotton undershirt
- Pleated versus non-pleated trousers
- Elastic versus adjustable waistband
- Button versus zipper trousers
- No-polish suede versus polished leather boots
- 8-point versus round top cover
- Pocket locations and design

The Navy also plans to wear test a blue parka that will ultimately match the design pattern of the final working uniform. The parka will be designed for wear in various weather conditions, including sub-freezing temperatures, wind, and heavy rain.

Although the NWU was designed to address the concerns of the fleet, Scott said a test of how the uniforms will truly respond to the needs of Sailors can only be determined by a fleetwide wear test and evaluation before being mass produced.

The fleetwide wear test scheduled to begin this winter, will be conducted at commands around the world, and across the spectrum of different platforms. Approximately 60 participants, both male and female, officer and enlisted, will wear-test these concept uniforms at each of the following commands/locations:

USS Theodore Roosevelt Carrier Strike Group (CVN 71), Norfolk, Va.
USS Tarawa, (LHA 1), San Diego
USS Germantown, (LSD 42), San Diego, Calif.
USS Chung-Hoon, (DDG 93), Pearl Harbor, Hawaii
USS Iwo Jima, (LHD 7), Norfolk, Va.
USS McFaul, (DDG 74), Norfolk, Va.
USS Philippine Sea, (CG 58, Mayport, Fla.
USS San Francisco, (SSN 711) (Guam)
Patrol Squadron (VP) 1 (Whidbey Island, Wash.)
Tactical Electronic Warfare Squadron (VAQ 137), Whidbey Island, Wash.
Patrol Squadron (VP) 26, Brunswick, Maine/Aviation Intermediate Maintenance Dept., Brunswick, Maine
Afloat Training Group, Norfolk, Va.
Afloat Training Group, San Diego
Recruit Training Command, Great Lakes, Ill.
Master-at-Arms "A" School, San Antonio
Special Warfare Logistic Support Group, San Diego
Naval Mobile Construction Battalion, Port Hueneme, Calif.
Amphibious Construction Battalion 2, Naval Amphibious Base Little Creek, Va.
Naval Station Rota, Spain
Naval Air Facility Atsugi, Japan
Naval Coastal Warfare Squadron 25, Norfolk, Va.

"We realize that there are Sailors out there who are eager to receive the NWUs, but we are determined to do this the right way and come up with a uniform that our Sailors will appreciate," Scott said.

Shore Sailor of the Year (SSOY) Chief Dental Technician Michele Villagran had a chance to see preliminary designs of the concept uniforms during the SSOY selection process. She said she liked the look and feel of the lightweight, yet sturdy, material.

"Overall, I think they look more professional, and I think the majority of the fleet will be happy with them," Villagran said. "It will definitely be a new and very much needed look for the Navy."

The vision of Task Force Uniform is to give Sailors a cost-effective set of uniforms presenting a professional appearance, recognizing naval heritage, and offering versatility, safety, ease of maintenance and storage, utility and comfort.

Task Force Uniform also plans to announce the year-round service uniform concepts for E-1 through E-6 in the coming weeks and an announcement about specifics of those wear testing dates and areas to follow.

While I understand it's strictly an example, I really don't understand why Navy personnel would wear the pattern of BDUs pictured. In reality, why would Navy personnel need camo at all?

All I can say is good luck finding a tree to hide behind on the ocean. Seems like a huge waste of money to me. The BDU idea was dumb enough but going CADPAT? Sheeesh! If they need that for some reason, they should just use the Marine's CADPAT and save the taxpayers some cash.

Last edited:
The navy went with the US Marine Corps Urban MARPAT BDU.

web_041018-N-0000X-006.jpg

041018-N-0000X-006 Norfolk, Va. (Oct. 18, 2004) - The Navy introduced a set of concept working uniforms for Sailors E-1 through O-10, Oct. 18th, in response to the fleet's feedback on current uniforms. The digital pattern with predominantly blue color is one of four concept uniforms the Navy plans to wear test this winter. Each uniform offers a variety of options that Sailors will have the opportunity to choose from. Feedback from the fleet will be used to determine the final Navy Working Uniform. U.S. Navy Photo (RELEASED)
http://www.navy.mil/view_single.asp?id=18213

web_051101-N-2410F-001.jpg

051101-N-0335C-001 Boston (Nov. 1, 2005) – Two Sailors pose aboard USS Constitution wearing the blue digital patterned battle dress uniform concept. Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Mike Mullen approved plans for a single working uniform for all ranks, E-1 to O-10, based on recommendations made during a comprehensive briefing in Washington, D.C. by Task Force Uniform Feb. 24. The BDU-style working uniform, designed to replaces seven different styles of current working uniforms, is made of a near maintenance-free permanent press 50/50 nylon and cotton blend. U.S. Navy photo by Journalist 1st Class Matthew Chabe (RELEASED)
http://www.navy.mil/view_single.asp?id=32392

Also, check out the all around dress uniform.

web_041208-N-0962S-116.jpg

041208-N-0962S-116 San Diego, Calif. (Dec. 8, 2004) - Yeoman 1st Class Erin Morgan stands at attention as she models the khaki option of the year-round concept service uniform for Sailors E-6 and below. Chief of Naval Operations directed Command Master Chief Robert B. Carroll, director of Task Force Uniform, made the presentation of khaki and gray uniform options at Naval Medical Center San Diego, Calif., and says the uniforms were developed from a response to the fleet's feedback on current uniforms. The wear test for service and working uniform concepts is scheduled for this winter. U.S. Navy photo by Journalist 2nd Class Brandan W. Schulze (RELEASED)
http://www.navy.mil/view_single.asp?id=19500

Last edited:
Back