New Theories Stating Troy was in Great Britain

Oh I certainly know that much information. What I lack is sufficient in-depth knowledge with which to be able to either confirm or refute what this dude is saying.

Revisionist histories can be interesting, and every so often they actually get something right (very rarely).

Uh did you read that page I listed and follow any of the links in it? Quite a bit of detail there. Also what more do you need to refute that idiocy than the fact that Troy was already found?

It seems unlikely but I'm no expert at all on this and unless you do indeed have some good knowledge of this subject I don't think you could reject it out of hand no matter how silly it may seem.

It's like the various theories that Atlantis really existed and was in present-day Indonesia, under the Atlantic Ocean or even Antartica. Unless you have some knowledge on the matter can you really say for sure whether it's bs or not?

Charge_7 said:
Uh did you read that page I listed and follow any of the links in it? Quite a bit of detail there. Also what more do you need to refute that idiocy than the fact that Troy was already found?
Well, according to this guy, there has been "great controversy" since Schliemann found Troy over "inconsistencies" in geographical layout and "lack of physical evidence" of a battlefield large enough to be the one Homer was writing about.

The interesting thing is that this fellow appears to have conveniently skipped the fact that before it was discovered, the Trojan War written about by Homer was believed to have been 100% myth. There was no "longstanding controversy" of any sort because everyone believed that Homer made the whole thing up.

Still, I would be interested in hearing greater depth as to why this guy is or isn't full of crap.

Oh man... did someone just break the world record on crap?
Troy was in what is today Turkey. History from those times were accurate. They had good maps of their territories and the lands surrounding them. Just because they're an ancient civilization doesn't mean they're a bunch of morons. In fact, the more we learn about these civilizations, the more we realize that in many areas, the main difference between us and them was electricity. They had all kinds of advanced techniques on all fields... philosophy, science.. you name it... including Geography.

Doppleganger said:
It seems unlikely but I'm no expert at all on this and unless you do indeed have some good knowledge of this subject I don't think you could reject it out of hand no matter how silly it may seem.
See, that's the whole thing I'm driving at. It would be nice to kick this guy's theory around and see where he's coming from.

imo impossible, how could greece adequately supply a huge army at britain? greeks didnt even reach there... and i doubt britain even had a large city like troy.

also some people believe atlantis is where peru is today, i believe it was either an island of greece or west turkey, or even just a city on the coast line, which was destroyed by something earthquake related, like a tsunami and maybe thats why they never found it yet, because it wouldnt just be under water but also under earth.

Well, the guy's theory is that none of the events described in the Illiad happened anywhere close to Greece, and that it was one of those legends that migrated with the group of people that ended up in Greece. It has certainly happened before in history.

also some people believe atlantis is where peru is today, i believe it was either an island of greece or west turkey, or even just a city on the coast line, which was destroyed by something earthquake related, like a tsunami and maybe thats why they never found it yet, because it wouldnt just be under water but also under earth.
Saw a special on History Channel (I think). They found a city in the Mediterranean that could have been Atlantis. The timeframe was about right and it was buried by a tsunami.

good ole history channel :D

anyhow when you think of atlantis, you think of an island sinking... tsunami could create that illusion

Charge_7 said:
Bwa ha ha ha! And Atlantis is in my swimming pool!

Maclaren and Schliemann are rolling in their graves if they aren't just laughing their boney asses off!

You know what's funny.

* Both Plato & Arstotle, great ancient Greek philosophers, doubted the greek origins of Homer's work.
* Herodotus, an ancient Greek historian, documented the Pelasgians (Sea Peoples) were already naming places within Greece before the Greek civilisation flowered.
* Homer describes The Troad a land of constant rain and mist. Doesn't sound much like Turkey.
* The site in Turkey currently being excavated as Troy was little more than hamlet at the end of the Bronze Age.
* The treasure Schliemann found that is supposed to be Priam's was carbon dated at 400BC. Almost a 1000 years after the Trojan war was supposed to have taken place.

Yes Maclaren and Schliemann are rolling in their graves. They were wrong.

Oh man... did someone just break the world record on crap?

the_13th_redneck said:
They had all kinds of advanced techniques on all fields... philosophy, science.. you name it... including Geography.

Did you know that Aristotle thought the Greeks learned mathmatics and science from the Druids. The Druids were Celts.

Did you know that more than 10,000 bronze age artifacts (including many weapons and gear of war) have been found in the area Imam Wilkens believes is the site of the Trojan War? The site in Turkey cannot boast this.

Charge_7 said:
Good luck in your theories.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not having a go at your opinion. I'm merely pointing out a few of the many inconsistencies between Homer's work and the presumption they have Geek origins.

Unfortunately I cannot at this time get hold of the book "Where Troy Once Stood" as it's currently out of print & our libraries don't seem to have it. Info about it on the web is limited.

Although this theory lacks conclusive evidence, the weight of circumstantial evidence does suggest it warrants more investigation. But to date I've been unable to find any information on whether or not investigations are being conducted in Cambridgeshire. What seems to be correct is the assumption that a large scale battle using Bronze Age weaponry did occur in the region of the Gog Magog hills.

wat.......

how the hell greek guys can support a war so far for so many years during that time.......quiet amazing if troy is really in britain

Sexybeast said:
wat.......

how the h**l greek guys can support a war so far for so many years during that time.......quiet amazing if troy is really in britain

Sure is amazing.

Apparently the war was not over Helen. But the control of the English Channel and North Sea. Control effectively meant control of the Tin trade. The only remaining productive Tin mines of the time were in England. And of course they needed Tin to make Bronze. Large civilisations (such as Egypt) could afford to buy it, but the Celts living in Gaul (Cessar named the area Gaul - roughly todays France) could not afford to buy large quantities of it. There only trade items were simple home made goods.

So Agememnon gathers a massive army (apparently 10 years in the making) and invades Troy.

The Author of the book 'Where Troy Once Stood' (Imam Wilkens) has a very interesting theory of the Trojan horse. Even if you believe the Greeks faught the Trojan war, his theory is still well worth reading.

well.....first we know this troy war from a dude named Homer...(means hostage), and it seems to be sure that he is living in the modern greek as a hostage from probably modern turkey.....

and there is a site discovered as troy near greek...

but it is really amazing how greek army can go to britain while later in Rome era ppl say no one has ever been to that island until Caesar's first expitation

Back