New Tanker In Town

Zipperhead

:tank: I have been viewing the forum for awhile and itching to add my own 2 cents in the Combat Vets vs Non Cbt Vets thread. By the time I finally managed to get on to my e-mail to get registered my issue was "Banned". Thank you for agreeing with my objections before I even made them! Great minds think alike.

I am a recently retired Tanker, formerly served with the Canadian Forces for 22 years. I have spent 13 months serving in the deserts of Afghanistan and have taught basic tactics to entry level Armoured Crew Commanders. I was qualified as a Sareant in both Armoured Recce and Sabre Tactics. My last tour over seas was as a Leopard 1 Tank Commander and Intelligence Operator in 2007.

Over my 22 years I have had many differant jobs. I have been employed as a Driver of everything from Iltis Jeeps to Leopard 1 Tanks. I was an Ambulance Driver in Bosnia in 1997 and a Cbt Storesman (read in Rear Ech Supply Guy) in Peace Keeping Operations in Bosnia in 2000. I spent 6 Months as a driver and Surv Op at Kandahar Airfield in 2002 and Commanded a Leopard out of Masam Ghar in 2007.

On my 2007 Tour I was wounded in an IED Strike. This began my slow journey to release. I spent my last 3 years as an Instructor at the Armour School teaching Armour Vehicle Tactics at the MCpl and Sgt Level. I taught Gunnery and Vehicle Movement Skills to Troops Preparing to Deploy as Commanders Overseas. I also spent a lot of time fighting with the Medical System trying to get services that Canadian Civilians receive without asking. I quickly realised that my injuries were an inconvienience to the Medical System and that I would be better off with a civilian Doctor. It's a sad reality that the wounded have to fight to get treatment. I can only hope that other Armies treat their Soldiers better than the Canadian Army.

I am still having some issues as a result of my experiences and I'm hoping that talking with people who can understand what I've done might help. I don't see any threads here dealing specifically with issues like this on the Forum, but am hoping PM and Chat will help a bit. Besides, after 22 years I have lots to say on other topics too.

Till next time

Zipperhead
Sgt (Retired)

:tank: I have been viewing the forum for awhile and itching to add my own 2 cents in the Combat Vets vs Non Cbt Vets thread. By the time I finally managed to get on to my e-mail to get registered my issue was "Banned". Thank you for agreeing with my objections before I even made them! Great minds think alike.

I am a recently retired Tanker, formerly served with the Canadian Forces for 22 years. I have spent 13 months serving in the deserts of Afghanistan and have taught basic tactics to entry level Armoured Crew Commanders. I was qualified as a Sareant in both Armoured Recce and Sabre Tactics. My last tour over seas was as a Leopard 1 Tank Commander and Intelligence Operator in 2007.

Over my 22 years I have had many differant jobs. I have been employed as a Driver of everything from Iltis Jeeps to Leopard 1 Tanks. I was an Ambulance Driver in Bosnia in 1997 and a Cbt Storesman (read in Rear Ech Supply Guy) in Peace Keeping Operations in Bosnia in 2000. I spent 6 Months as a driver and Surv Op at Kandahar Airfield in 2002 and Commanded a Leopard out of Masam Ghar in 2007.

On my 2007 Tour I was wounded in an IED Strike. This began my slow journey to release. I spent my last 3 years as an Instructor at the Armour School teaching Armour Vehicle Tactics at the MCpl and Sgt Level. I taught Gunnery and Vehicle Movement Skills to Troops Preparing to Deploy as Commanders Overseas. I also spent a lot of time fighting with the Medical System trying to get services that Canadian Civilians receive without asking. I quickly realised that my injuries were an inconvienience to the Medical System and that I would be better off with a civilian Doctor. It's a sad reality that the wounded have to fight to get treatment. I can only hope that other Armies treat their Soldiers better than the Canadian Army.

I am still having some issues as a result of my experiences and I'm hoping that talking with people who can understand what I've done might help. I don't see any threads here dealing specifically with issues like this on the Forum, but am hoping PM and Chat will help a bit. Besides, after 22 years I have lots to say on other topics too.

Till next time

Zipperhead
Sgt (Retired)

Welcome! Enjoy! I once (1995) visited the Canadian camp north of Split. Feels like yesterday!​

Back