New Tactics Yield Solid Victory in Gaza

rock45

A good read and very interesting

New Tactics Yield Solid Victory in Gaza

Mar 11, 2009 #content td div img { padding-right:10px; padding-bottom:2px } html.ie6 #content td div img { padding-right:10px; padding-bottom:0px; } div.storyContent p { margin-top: 2px; margin-bottom: 14px; } html.ie6 div.storyContent p { margin-top: 0px; margin-bottom: 10px; } #mainNav { margin-top:0px; } a { color: #224e9c; text-decoration: none; } a:hover { color: #224e9c; text-decoration: underline; }
By David Eshel

Since the inconclusive Second Lebanon War of 2006, the Israeli army has been developing tactics and adding equipment and capabilities to fight more effectively in asymmetric conflicts. The recent success of “Operation Cast Lead” in the densely populated Gaza Strip shows that an industrial military that coordinates operations among land, air and sea units, makes effective use of advanced technology, and shares intelligence and leads from the front can decisively defeat an asymmetric enemy.
In this 22-day battle (Dec. 27, 2008-Jan. 18) the asymmetric enemy was, of course, Hamas, a militant group of fundamentalists that controls the Gaza Strip and has been launching crude but deadly rockets into Israel for years. Israel’s stated goal was to stop the rocket offensive. Before it could do that, forces had to fight decisively on urban battlefields that were full of traps.
Since taking over Gaza two years ago, Hamas has turned the area into a fortress. Weapon and ammunition depots were everywhere—even in mosques. Israeli intelligence pinpointed more than six mosques in Gaza City that were ar*senals, a fact confirmed by huge secondary explosions after they were attacked.
Underground shelters, some built into fortified but occupied homes, were used to hide hundreds of rockets that Hamas planned to launch against Israel. Almost every apartment building in the suburbs was boobytrapped or held arms caches rigged to be set off by explosives if Israeli soldiers entered. Many streets and alleyways concealed a labyrinth of bunkers and tunnels, also boobytrapped.
Israel used a variety of tactics to outflank and defeat Hamas in its own territory. These included long-term planning, meticulous intelligence-gathering, deception and disinformation. Although the attack had been prepared for weeks, operational security and a well-planned deception campaign took Hamas by surprise when it finally happened, despite Israel’s repeated warnings that the rocket attacks would trigger a war.
Operation Cast Lead began with devastating air strikes. The Israel Air Force (IAF) hammered targets in the Gaza Strip with jets and helicopters.
Prime targets were the Rafah tunnels under the Egyptian border, through which Hamas smuggled weapons and money, much of it from Iran (DTI February, p. 43). The IAF used sophisticated weapons including earth-penetrating bombs to destroy the “tunnel city.”
Among those weapons was the new PB500A1 from Israel Military Industries, a laser-guided hard-target penetration bomb based on the 1,000-lb. Mk-83 “dumb” bomb. It is reportedly capable of penetrating 2 meters (6.5 ft.) of reinforced concrete. Unconfirmed reports claim the IAF used Boeing’s GBU-39 small-diameter bomb for the first time. High-precision weapons were also deployed throughout the battle to destroy bunkers and weapon depots.
Following a week of precision bombing, the ground campaign opened with three infantry brigade task forces simultaneously entering the Gaza Strip from several directions. Four brigade commanders, all colonels, fought on the front lines with their troops throughout the two-week ground offensive in the northern Gaza Strip: Herzi Levy of the paratroopers brigade; Avi Peled of the Golani brigade; Ilan Malka of the Givati brigade; and Yigal Slovick of the 401st armored brigade.
The infantry brigades approached their objectives from unexpected directions, avoiding previously used routes in which Hamas created boobytrapped bunkers and tunnels. Slovick’s armored brigade, fielding the latest Merkava Mk4 main battle tank, raced unopposed to block access from Rafah and Khan Yunis to Gaza City, cutting supply lines to Hamas from the south.
Cast Lead was the first Israel Defense Forces (IDF) operation in which unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), helicopters and fighter jets were allocated to ground forces directly without IAF central command authorizing sorties. This went even further, with air-support controller teams operating alongside brigade commanders at the front, passing along whatever surveillance data from UAVs and other assets they needed.
Each brigade combat team was assigned a UAV squadron for close support, with ground-control operators at forward headquarters calling in air strikes from standby attack helicopters and, if necessary, identifying targets to fixed-wing assets cruising over the combat zone. Aerial surveillance from Heron and Hermes 450 UAVs and Apache attack helicopters provided an unprecedented level of real-time close air support in response to time-critical targets. A high degree of situational awareness was achieved by maintaining at least a dozen UAVs in flight over Gaza at all times. These aircraft saved the lives of Israeli soldiers and civilians by detecting Hamas ambushes and rocket launch sites and directing aircraft, tanks and artillery to the targets.
Another first that reduced casualties was the unprecedented level of interservice cooperation between IDF land forces and Israel’s internal security agency (ISA). This was evident in command posts as well as on the battlefield. ISA operatives attached to forward units assisted in gathering information and intelligence from the field and rapidly turning it into targeting data for strikes against time-critical targets.
Precision attacks were initiated by aircraft, ground elements like snipers and tanks and by Spike LR (long-range) antiarmor missiles modified with antistructure warheads. Using UAVs and sophisticated electronics, the fusion of intelligence-gathering capabilities was able to pinpoint explosive caches and boobytraps and provide troops with real-time intelligence.
This cooperation substantially shortened the sensor-to-shooter cycle. During Operation Cast Lead, intelligence sources say that F-15 and F-16 aircraft could identify and fire air-to-ground missiles within 30 sec. of data transmission to take out fleeing targets.
The Israeli navy attacked Hamas coastal targets and boats. Records of the attacks published by the navy indicate that for the first time vessels are equipped with Rafael’s Spike ER electro-optically guided missiles. Two of these were shown on Israeli TV. The Spike ER missiles, with a range of 8 km. (5 mi.), have been fired from helicopters, land vehicles and ground positions, and are now employed on gunboats, most likely Super Dvora fast-attack craft with Rafael’s Typhoon stabilized gun mount. Videos of an attack showed precision hits from the boat’s Typhoon gun despite a rolling sea.
The army anticipated high casualties in attacks on the fortified refugee camps. To deal with this, a senior medical officer says the IDF reduced the aerial evacuation time of wounded soldiers from the Gaza Strip by more than 50% from the Second Lebanon War, to 45 min. on average. In many cases evacuation was done under fire, with helicopter pilots landing within combat zones. The IDF medical corps has been using new state-of-the-art equipment to treat wounds. One device added to field units is QuikClot Combat Gauze from Z-Medica Corp. of Wallingford, Conn., which uses a hemostatic coagulant to stop bleeding.
One life-saving element was the elite Yahalom (diamond) combat engineering unit, which faced a challenging task in defeating efforts by Hamas to capture Israeli soldiers. Hamas dug tunnels in boobytrapped houses to kidnap soldiers for use as bargaining chips. Yahalom soldiers were dispersed throughout the brigades and battalions and armed with new equipment and weapons that received their first operational use during the fighting. These included miniature robots like Elbit Systems’ VIPeR, and wall-breaching munitions like Simon and Matador, which became indispensable for troops fighting through booby-trapped buildings (DTI February, p. 8).
Retired general and Knesset member Yizhak Ben Israel says the operation was so successful that it could become part of the historic memory of Middle East nations for years. The IDF not only restored its deterrence vis-a-vis Hamas, Ben Israel says, but against other enemies such as Hezbollah and the Iran-Syria axis.
While sporadic rocket fire continues from Gaza, leaders of Hamas—and Hezbollah—will have to take into account that the IDF could strike again with even greater force. Experts say it is doubtful that people in these areas will be willing to absorb another blow.

Link
http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gene...s Yield Solid Victory in Gaza&channel=defense

They achieved very little though..apart from alienating most of Europe and got Israeli goods boycotted there at a time when the Israeli economy is hurting badly.
It´s not enough to win a battle, if you loose the objectives of said battle then it´s a failure..

objectives

I don't know all the objectives of many sides involved that's a very complex political issues. There always outside political pressures in Gaza that have there own interests which screw's over locals as well but that seems to be over look by the world. It seems to benefits some special happy groups and even governments to keep things as they are and have been for thirty years. Keep the cause up as long as its some place else and easier that way it's a basic tactic just keep the focus some place else and not at home.

I sure the Hamas made detail plans on where all the booby traps were so no locals would be hurt or killed when the fighting ended right? This way the local people wouldn't be hurt or harm because that's why the Hamas are suppose to be there there for right to help the local people?

It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out the Hamas are leading the local people down yet another useless path like so many other outside group all fighting for some stupid cause. Lets it face having the Hamas launching rockets, mortars while hiding behind the locals isn't going to work out well for the locals, the Hamas know this and use it as a tool when Israel strikes back. This is use to control the locals who get screw over by the very people saying they helping, isn't that special. Why the people Gaza, West Bank, and a half dozen other fun places in the world don't see it beyond me.

When was the last time leaders and real leaders from Gaza not outsiders who shouldn't be leading the people from Gaza in the first place period, sit and talk with the Israeli's? I can't even remember that's pretty sad that one outside group basically after another has seized control of this tiny area and suppressed the locals by keeping the "cause" up against Israel. And that locals get lead around by the noses.

I know this very basic view I told you I'm not strong on political issues but it's time to give out the blame to the 'cause" and those outsiders bring their beliefs to the Gaza. They bring suffering and pain to the locals by their actions that has to be addressed and too many people turn their backs on that and I just can't understand that.

It blows my mind that I can see on the news/press tunnels on the Egyptian border where rockets, bombs, etc are used to pass weapons through to the Hamas! Why is that even allowed why aren't 50 governments complaining about that to Egypt? Were not stupid we all know more then food is going through those tunnels right? Why inst Europe boycotting goods to Egypt for allowing the weapons to pass through their country and for allowing these tunnels to operate period? I watch this this guy on the news pass down into a tunnel a big seal box with my own eyes how do I know if there were rocket parts in it or not?

What are Egypt's and other objectives?

Most of Europe's objectives is still getting their oil from the Middle East, wonderful objectives.

icon7.gif
icon12.gif

Last edited:
Aah, the objectives..

Well, let´s first start with the objectives of Stalin that made sure that Israel survived the crucial first months, that Truman joined in later was more or less a way to counter Moscow influence and done despite the objections of sec. of state Marshall.

Stalins objective was (mainly) to push Great Britain out of the middle east, don´t forget that the creation of Israel was a culmination of a long and bloody guerilla warfare against British troops so Europe was never a friend of Israel, rather the opposite even if they later sometimes acted in Israels interest like in Suez when UK, France and Israel together attacked Egypt to size control of the Suez canal that was of vital importance for oil imports!

We´ll notice that the objectives shifted to protection of the route of oil there..:wink:

This no doubt also built a basis for the oil-crisis of 1973, when the US decided to rebuild the Israel military after the Yom Kippur war the Arab countries in the region simply turned off the pumps and oil-prices went uphill fast and cemented OPEC as the main arab powerblock.

This also created the new name of the game in the middle east..Petrodollar recycling as it was called by western bankers.

Here the arab oilproducers shifted their objectives, solidarity with the palestinians was now mostly a matter of handing out money while concentrating on getting very very rich by controling the worlds greatest oil supply so unshaved radicals like Yassir Arafat and his ilk was left to fend for themselves.

Suddenly we reach the 80´s and a new factor enters the ballgame, ambitious leaders that have used oil money to build armies are looking hungrily at weaker but oil rich neighbours and the first gulf war starts eventually as the west is still like in 1956 ready to go to war to protect their supplies of oil.
For the Palestinians the war ends in a catastroph as they supported Saddam Hussein despite relying heavily on the gulf states to provide jobs and money. The Sheikhs took notice and kicked out half a million palestinians...no potential political troublemakers was welcome anymore.

The growing tension between Shiite Ajamis and Sunni Khalijis in the gulf also made Iran that saw itself as the protector/leader of all Shiites reach out to their brethren in the gulf which was quickly discouraged by Khaliji security forces but in Lebanon that had been sundered by Israeli attacks and civil war their agents found fertile ground and Hizbollah was soon a growing factor there.
The PLO that was in shatters after the "support Saddam" fiasco lost credability and Hamas started to gain support.

Now the objectives where shifting again, we might say that a war of proxy was being fought between Iran and the west using Hizbollah and Israel with negative consequenses for everyone in the region and we might still just guess how deep the mental scars are among the Israelis and their immediate neighbours after decades of never ending warfare..to be honest I wouldn´t trust a palestinian or an Israeli next to me in battle.
Both sides have brought collective paranoia to new hights and are constantly dehumanizing their assumed enemies.

Hmm, this is clearly a thread for looong post but I fear we are getting a bit off-track..;)

So far very good

Hi Bimcnorth
I agree the thread could go bad at anytime but so far so good. I pick up a bunch of stuff:

Stalins objective was (mainly) to push Great Britain out of the middle east,
I didn't know this was Stalin's reasoning just to bring down the UK's strength as a world power at the time or were there direct reason or certain countries Russia wanted England out?

don´t forget that the creation of Israel was a culmination of a long and bloody guerrilla warfare against British troops so Europe was never a friend of Israel,
I kind of pick up on this from a number of different threads.

rather the opposite even if they later sometimes acted in Israels interest like in Suez when UK, France and Israel together attacked Egypt to size control of the Suez canal that was of vital importance for oil imports!
I did see one of those military type shows years ago on this. The show didn't go into detail much it made it more a Israeli-Egypt thing. Was this one of the earlier times Stalin or who ever was in charge of the big and bad USSR at time used Egypt to mess with the UK's and I guess Europe's oil supply? Somebody in Egypt had to know that this was a major oil route right? So in a sense UK & France used the Israeli's to get what they needed at the time as well? Am I getting that part correct?

We´ll notice that the objectives shifted to protection of the route of oil there
Also noted who was protecting the the oil route, not my country for once or least not yet on European size levels.
icon14.gif

oil-crisis of 1973
Remember being a kid and being drag to many gas stations

Here the arab oilproducers shifted their objectives, solidarity with the palestinians was now mostly a matter of handing out money while concentrating on getting very very rich by controling the worlds greatest oil supply so unshaved radicals like Yassir Arafat and his ilk was left to fend for themselves.
Why the change they had even more money to keep the people or focus looking somewhere else?

For the Palestinians the war ends in a catastrophe as they supported Saddam Hussein despite relying heavily on the gulf states to provide jobs and money. The Sheikhs took notice and kicked out half a million Palestinians...no potential political troublemakers was welcome anymore.
Is it safe to assume these half million Palestinians ended up on Israeli's border? So the Sheikhs actually help make the situation in Gaza and the West Bank? I wonder how many Gaza/West Bank Palestinians currently even know that their parents or Grandparents may have been screw over by the Sheikhs at the time.

Why isn't this covered by the press more or why don't other countries from the Middle East etc put pressure on the countries that expelled the Palestinians in the first place to take them back? Do I got this right so some Palestinians 25 years ago throwing rocks at some 19 year Israeli soldiers told to patrol some street might have been thrown out of Jordan or Egypt or another Middle Eastern country?

The last parts of your post are interesting as well I can see where religion begins to get twisted and how it jumps to the forefront to controlling so many people again. I can see rich oil producing countries offering funding to keep certain groups from operating in their countries as best as they could, keep certain groups or people looking some place else.

I can also see huge western oil companies and governments focusing on profits and not situations going on in this region. I know some of how my country economy grew in the 70s and 80s jump up but I'm interested in France, UK, and other European governments at this time. How did there ties to the Middle East effect them? This isn't covered in the United States much.

Mix in a bunch of other deals and situations going on in the world and the US taking on a bigger role in the 70s and 80s in this region and others not liking that for sure and you'll have Middle East.

I'm leaving out a bunch of things I realize that but I'm interested in the order of things. Why was the Russians messing with England that perks interests? Why did Russia screw over Egypt they had to know UK & France would do something to keep there oil routes open? Were they setting the current government in Egypt to fail? This is cold war times, major wars going on, sides being taken all at the same time. I'm sure the 70s the US realized we needed much more oil to fuel out growing economy.

Thanks Bimcnorth for your help I hope this thread stays on this level and open.

I didn't know this was Stalin's reasoning just to bring down the UK's strength as a world power at the time or were there direct reason or certain countries Russia wanted England out?

At the time Moscow was on the verge of taking control of greece so the idea of the future warsaw pact reaching far south was very much a reality..the miracle in greece was that the communist gerilla suddenly fell apart and fought each other just weeks from a total victory enabling the royalists to stage a comeback.
During the 50´s there was a host of new arab leaders that was very cosy with Moscow, no doubt a part of a greater strategy from Kreml.

I did see one of those military type shows years ago on this. The show didn't go into detail much it made it more a Israeli-Egypt thing. Was this one of the earlier times Stalin or who ever was in charge of the big and bad USSR at time used Egypt to mess with the UK's and I guess Europe's oil supply? Somebody in Egypt had to know that this was a major oil route right? So in a sense UK & France used the Israeli's to get what they needed at the time as well? Am I getting that part correct?

It was after Stalin, it was more of a situation where Egypt was trying to disrupt the UK by holding transports to ransom.
In the end it was in vain as we started to see the emergence of supertankers that never passed the canal.
As for Israel it was in their interest to open the canal for shipments to Israel so they had their objectives as well.

It was an operation where everyone failed to achieve what they wanted actually..lol

Why the change they had even more money to keep the people or focus looking somewhere else?

The emergence of political radicals was a threat to the ruling royal families of the arab peninsula. They decided to modernize their own countries instead..

Is it safe to assume these half million Palestinians ended up on Israeli's border? So the Sheikhs actually help make the situation in Gaza and the West Bank? I wonder how many Gaza/West Bank Palestinians currently even know that their parents or Grandparents may have been screw over by the Sheikhs at the time.

Why isn't this covered by the press more or why don't other countries from the Middle East etc put pressure on the countries that expelled the Palestinians in the first place to take them back? Do I got this right so some Palestinians 25 years ago throwing rocks at some 19 year Israeli soldiers told to patrol some street might have been thrown out of Jordan or Egypt or another Middle Eastern country?

Most of them ended up in Jordan or Lebanon so yes..As for them being "screwed" by the Gulf Sheikhs (not Egypt or Jordan) the Palestinians paid for the mistake of their leader. Most people do...

As for them going back it´s hard because they where never citizens of these countries, and their jobs where quickly taken by workers from a multitude of poor neighbouring countries like Oman, Yemen, Pakistan etc so they had nothing to return to.

Following

As for them going back it´s hard because they where never citizens of these countries, and their jobs where quickly taken by workers from a multitude of poor neighboring countries like Oman, Yemen, Pakistan etc so they had nothing to return to.
Talk about not being liked anywhere wow why weren't they allowed to be citizens?

Imagine if Russia did get Greece and being on both sides of Turkey would have been interesting. They would have got the deep water warm port they always wanted. Think about the threat to NATO's flank the list goes on.

If these countries pulled there support and attentions away from the Palestinians at different times to take care of their own why didn't the Palestinians people see that? Hurt by the mistake of their leader says it so clearly.

I wonder how those anti-American etc schools in Saudi Arabia teach history on this topic?

How you describe things is very different from some of the posters from your region, I pick up on that right away.
icon7.gif

Thanks
icon14.gif

Achieving a military victory was never the problem with Israel. It wins every time. The problem is that people like my self go and fight and bring back victory and than the Israeli politicians screw it up.

By the way in 1956, the main objective for Israel, whatever "history" books tell you, was the destruction of the Egyptian army. That objective was achieved in its full. It took the Egyptian army 11 years to be war ready again, and again it was destroyed. 6 years later it was again war ready, and again it was destroyed. The 4 wars(48,56,67,73) between Israel and egypt made both sides realize that they cannot go on in this silly fashion. Egypt was spending money like mad trying to rebuild its army after each defeat, and israel hates the idea of mass casualties so much it cant afford to fight a country with 10 times its own population every 10 years. Now if only we could get this idea into the israeli-syrian thing:)

Last edited:
Talk about not being liked anywhere wow why weren't they allowed to be citizens?

Imagine if Russia did get Greece and being on both sides of Turkey would have been interesting. They would have got the deep water warm port they always wanted. Think about the threat to NATO's flank the list goes on.

If these countries pulled there support and attentions away from the Palestinians at different times to take care of their own why didn't the Palestinians people see that? Hurt by the mistake of their leader says it so clearly.

I wonder how those anti-American etc schools in Saudi Arabia teach history on this topic?

How you describe things is very different from some of the posters from your region, I pick up on that right away.
icon7.gif

Thanks
icon14.gif

Ah, let me first say that the palestinians was in no different situation from any other people working/living in the gulf.
Unless you belong to the right clans and have the right name you will simply never be a citizen. I´m not a citizen myself.
The concept of immigration is totally foreign, unless you are connected by marriage in some way you don´t share blood ties and will always be an outsider.
In the UAE for example just 20% of the population are citizens, the rest all have a special visa of some kind that allow them to live or work there and they have limited rights while citizens..well, let me just say that all cards are stacked in their favour.

So for example the UAE military/police rely heavily on expats and advisors from a number of countries as they are simply to few to fully staff more than some elite units with emiratis only. A bit like the French foreign legion we can say where the officers are french but the soldiers from all corners of the world..but much better paid though.

Achieving a military victory was never the problem with Israel. It wins every time. The problem is that people like my self go and fight and bring back victory and than the Israeli politicians screw it up.

By the way in 1956, the main objective for Israel, whatever "history" boos tell you, was the destruction of the Egyptian army. That objective was achieved in its full. It took the Egyptian army 11 years to be war ready again, and again it was destroyed. 6 years later it was again war ready, and again it was destroyed. The 4 wars(48,56,67,73) between Israel and egypt made both sides realize that they cannot go on in this silly fashion. Egypt was spending money like mad trying to rebuild its army after each defeat, and israel hates the idea of mass casualties so much it cant afford to fight a country with 10 times its own population every 10 years. Now if only we could get this idea into the israeli-syrian thing:)

I tend to agree, Israeli politicians are in a class of their own..as for Israeli relations with its muslim neighbours I think it have improved gradually as both Israel and surrounding countries find that much of their security problems are homegrown.
The fact that much of the "power" within the arab world did shift to the gulf after 1973 because of financial strength did dimish the pan-arab ideas that originated in Egypt, Iraq and Syria as the idea was a bit to farfetched for the basically tribal leaders in the gulf.

immigration

The concept of not being a citizen is totally foreign to me. I shouldn't take for granted other countries are like America. I know here there are processes to follow and rules to be carried out but I don't know personally know if it easy or works.

Would other countries in the Gulf be thankful if the Iran's nuclear program could be destroyed without causing chaos in the region? Or would they pay a high price for siding with the Americans in the long run?

The concept of not being a citizen is totally foreign to me. I shouldn't take for granted other countries are like America. I know here there are processes to follow and rules to be carried out but I don't know personally know if it easy or works.

Would other countries in the Gulf be thankful if the Iran's nuclear program could be destroyed without causing chaos in the region? Or would they pay a high price for siding with the Americans in the long run?

It would cause some chaos in the region and is not a thing UAE would advocate.
The goal of UAE and the GCC coalition is to offer a stable non-aggressive Iran a place among the other gulf nations.
A partner to GCC we might say.
Todays Iran might be ruled by hardliners but the wheels are in motion to rein in the country financially and military.

Actually the pursuit of nuclear weapons is a double-edged sword in that if it fails to give Iran a dominance in the region, a dominance that they must try to exploit financially to avoid internal chaos given the state of their economy the hardliners will be discredited and might give way to the technocrats/military..and we can deal with them because they will look for solid gains.

Back