New Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito

--

November 1st, 2005  
mmarsh

Topic: New Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito

Well as you all know by now Samuel Alito has been nominated to the Supreme Court. Although he is amplefully qualified, his reputation as a hard-core right-wing extremist is bound to touch off a political firestorm.

This was another terriable choice for high office because it will totally unbalance the supreme court from a right leaning court to a hardcore extremist one. For the record is as follows

Extreme Right Conservatives
Scalia
Thomas
Alito

Conservatives
Roberts
Stevens

Moderate
Kennedy
Souter

Liberals
Ginsburg
Breyer

This is bad decision for mulitple reasons

1. Bush showed a total lack of spine as he let the extreme right Bulldoze his nominee and arm twisted him into accepting 'their' choice. Its now appearent that the religous right runs the White House, not the President of the United States. A total lack of leadership, Bush cannot even run his own base.

2. Bush did the one thing the Democrats asked him not to do (name an extremist). In fact Harry Reid asked him specifically NOT to name Alito. The Dems are almost certain to Filibuster this candidate, touching off a political firestorm. This was probably done on purpose as a smokescreen for Bush's other troubles.
November 1st, 2005  
Ted

Let's see how we misinterpret this one mmarsh....
November 2nd, 2005  
Chocobo_Blitzer

What's so extreme about him? I'm not being cute, either- I don't know.
--
November 2nd, 2005  
Italian Guy

Just a profile of the guy:

Samuel Alito Jr

Education:
Princeton University, B.A, 1972
Yale Law School, J.D., 1975

Federal Judicial Service:
U. S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
Nominated by George H.W. Bush on February 20, 1990. Confirmed by the Senate on April 27, 1990, and received commission on April 30, 1990.

Professional Career:
U.S. Attorney for the District of New Jersey, 1987-1990
Deputy Assistant U.S. Attorney General, U.S. Department of Justice, 1985-1987
Assistant to the U.S. Solicitor General, U.S. Department of Justice, 1981-1985
Assistant U.S. Attorney, District of New Jersey, 1977-1981
Law Clerk, Hon. Leonard I. Garth, U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit, 1976-1977[/img]
November 2nd, 2005  
Missileer

Boy, what a poor choice. Ivy league middle of the road, intelligent, no skeletons in the closet, successful Judge with no red marks. What in the world is Bush thinking of? Did he run out of Ruth "Buzzy" Ginsburgs? I don't really understand why the man accepted a position this much lower than his qualifications.
November 2nd, 2005  
FutureDevilDog

I don't understand Bush. He keeps picking candidates that are the "best qualified" after he nominates someone else is the best qualified. Why couldn't he have just researched more and picked one good one.
November 2nd, 2005  
Missileer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureDevilDog
I don't understand Bush. He keeps picking candidates that are the "best qualified" after he nominates someone else is the best qualified. Why couldn't he have just researched more and picked one good one.
Strategy, my boy, strategy. When you are forced to deal with fools, sometimes what you are forced to do seems to be foolish. Wait and watch.
November 2nd, 2005  
FutureDevilDog

I gotcha. Wait and Watch I shall lol.
November 2nd, 2005  
Ted

This isn't about intelligence and that isn't what some of us judge him on. We just don't share the same political view on most topics. Since justice and government shouldn't influence one another we have a hard time seeing Bush fill the Supreme Court with "Hawks".
Then you can say:"well the Democrates do the same!" and that is true... I'm just against any system that appoints judges: a) for a life time membership. We had that system during the middle ages and people do tend to be touched by age. b) I think politics should stay out of this appointing business.

The fact that he is a neo-con is just my personal touch. Since I can't alter the system I rather see a democrat in there instead of a republican. But as I said, that's just my opinion.
November 2nd, 2005  
Italian Guy

If Alito is a neocon, I'm happy because I agree with the view.

Anyways yeah, our judges are very poltical. Many of them also ran for office and were elected. Don't ask me under whose flag.