New Study: 1 in 4 homeless are veterans - Page 2

--

February 24th, 2008  
Chief Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Infantry
Agreed... and completely unacceptable. All current and prior military needs to stand up to this and not just send a message, but enforce it!

Let's see what the civilian bums do without us - when we strike, America ceases to exist.

But as long as they have their reality TV shows to saturate their stupidity, it'll never matter to them. I detest the ambivalance this country as a whole has for us. I sometimes wish I'd have never served, and that's the God's honest truth. We do the work, they do the criticizing. ARRRGGGHHHHHHH
AZ
I can sympathize and I partly agree with what you have said ..... but .....

I WILL NEVER WISH I HAD NOT SERVED.

To do that, I would be saying that the United States and what it means to me, would have been a lie. THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

You can point your finger at those "civilian bums" all you want - to me, the "bums" to be upset with, aren't the average John Does ... they are the *John McCains, the Hillary Clintons, the Barrack Obamas and the other Congressmen and Senators who ignore the bill that is owed those who have protected and served this country on EVERY battlefield throughout the world. Don't lose faith with those who can't control their representives, instead - take steps to campaign AGAINST those who REALLY failed us (the present administration and those Senators and Congressmen whose records don't show support for the military or ex-military).

*McCains record vis-a-vis 'some' military benefits and his stance on waterboarding, raise questions in my mind (sorry).
February 24th, 2008  
A Can of Man

That's why when we can we take care of our own because there is no one else.
March 20th, 2008  
GunnyD

This study is horsepucky, no hard data to support it, the basis for it is asking homeless people if they are vets or not, with a crudeload saying yes. Seems like every homeless guy I talk to was a vet, You know like a Marine with the 101 Div. In fact I ran into one this week, saw my Marine shirt and immediatly became a Marine, when I asked him who he served with he responded with "people man, I served with people." an obvious liar.

They need to verify that these knuckleheads are "really" vets, then I will be concerned. Also keep in mind the folks reporting this study need grant money. The more numbers they report, the more money they get. and if you throw in homeless vets, how can people refuse you grants.
--
March 20th, 2008  
mmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnyD
This study is horsepucky, no hard data to support it, the basis for it is asking homeless people if they are vets or not, with a crudeload saying yes. Seems like every homeless guy I talk to was a vet, You know like a Marine with the 101 Div. In fact I ran into one this week, saw my Marine shirt and immediatly became a Marine, when I asked him who he served with he responded with "people man, I served with people." an obvious liar.

They need to verify that these knuckleheads are "really" vets, then I will be concerned. Also keep in mind the folks reporting this study need grant money. The more numbers they report, the more money they get. and if you throw in homeless vets, how can people refuse you grants.
Do you say this because you don't agree? There is nothing to suggest any impropriety or false information. As TomTom22 said, this study has been done several times in the past with similar results.

And frankly the way our (UN)compassionate leader, has GUTTED the VA I am surprised the study says 1 in 4. Sorry, but sticking your hand in the sand doesn't make bad or unpleasant news go away.
March 20th, 2008  
GunnyD

Do a little test for yourself. ask a few homeless folks if they are vets, bet most will tell you they are.

Show proof of the "gutting" of the VA, otherwise you are just spouting BS.

If I thought that the numbers where ever remotely true, I would be screaming from the mountain tops, but it aint, its bull pucky. Why as an 19 year vet with tours in Iraq would I want to stick my head in the sand on something concerning my fellow vets? Having said that, I dont take anything anyone says at face value, wether it supports my beliefs or not, I question and research everything, I would suggest that you try the same.

1stSgt
March 20th, 2008  
GunnyD

Let me add to this, several years ago, I voluteerred to help with a homeless veterans workshop in my city. We got the local National Guard Armory to donate their building. We got Doctors and Dentist to volunteer to work on the homeless vets for free, free shots, free clothes, free food, health checkups the whole nine yards. Hundred of homeless "vets" showed up. I thought that was pretty odd, as we are not that big a city to have hundreds of homeless vets. after talking with about 20 of them, I was pissed, they all claimed to be vets and all where full of poo. Liars every one of them, we still helped them, what can you do. But they were no vets, the stories where outrageous, never met so many people awarded the Medal of Honor, to include a young man of about 24(at the time no MOH had been awarded since VietNam) and they all were combat vets, ALL OF THEM, 100%, again amazing since in reality roughly 33% see true combat in a front line situation( obviously a higher number in iraq when you start throwing in IED's, and I do consider IED's combat) But here I was in a small midwest city surrounded by 100% homless combat vets. BULLPUCKEY!!!!!

1stSgt
March 21st, 2008  
A Can of Man

Guys I think he may have a point.
March 21st, 2008  
Cdt Matteo

This is deeply saddening that so many of the people who served are now sleeping in parks. I pray for the end of this. I hope they increase the pay for these service men and women.
March 21st, 2008  
mmarsh

Already done that. I worked on my Church soup kitchens in NYC throughout high school. Quite a few vets (mostly Vietnam, and few from Korean vets as well). I also met quite a few vets doing Meals-on-Wheels too.

According to the U.S Department of Veterans Affairs, there are 154000 homeless vets. Thats out of 744000 in the US total. Thats about 21%. And since the Government tends to under-report such figures so the really number is probably much higher.

If you dont want to take my word for it, try Uncle Sam. All of this can be verified for yourself at:
http://www1.va.gov/homeless/

Show proof of the "gutting" of the VA, otherwise you are just spouting BS.

As for proof of the gutting of the VA? Easy. here

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17117430/

and here

http://www.slate.com/id/2161386

Basically while raising benefits in office by about 27% in 2004-2005 he cut $40 Billion out of the VA budget for 2010 and 2011 and he did so specifially when he is out of office. Its Bush as usual, showboating in front of the cameras and then dropping the hammer when the publics (easily-divided) attention is elsewhere. He has also major made "little cuts" in 07 and 08 (Death by 1000 cuts) if 1.7 and 1.8 Billion respectfully, mostly on medicare.

Are you really that surprised by people not screaming? Thats the entire reason Bush gets away with all his crap for the past 8 years. We Americans prefer to stay passively mute as the fox raides the chicken-coop. You said your an Iraq vet? Thats a perfect example. We went to a war for some total Bull**** reason based on LIES. The ongoing result so far was 4000+ US KIA, 500,000+ Civilian KIA, and $550+ Billion wasted, and a much, much, more unstable world. But do you hear anybody crying about this? In Europe, all of Bushes Allies (Asnar, Bersconi, Blair) were tossed out of Office in the next election by a infuriated mob because of Iraq. But People back home are more interested in Brittany Spears latest social gaffe. -tell me thats not true.

So the fact that nobody mentions the number of homeless vets -in fact the homeless and the poor in general is hardly surprising.