New standard issue pistol for British troops

Probably a good thing that they're now issuing pistols to our lads, as opposed to just giving them their Primary Weapon System. Just shows how Close-Quarter-Combat has worked its way on to the Afghan battlefield. I thought from what I've watched on the internet and read about is that most fire-fights appear to be mid-range engagements.

Still, a good thing that they're now finally issuing Secondary Weapon Systems, something else to defend yourself with, rather than just a fixed bayonet.

Check out what they're saying about the new issue on ARRSE, some interesting points being made over there...

I don't like the Glock, I never have, I have fired the 9mm short (380) 9mm Parabellum, 40 S&W and the 45 ACP, unless the firearm is held with a firm grip it will stovepipe. I know of too many ND's with the weapon and these people were not novices. I attended an armourers course in Cape Town a few years ago and I wasn't impressed with the firearm whatsoever, I also do not like the fact that it hasn't a manual safety. I agree with CF, the Sig is a better if not safer firearm. Although an even better firearm then the Sig would be the CZ75, my sons has had thousands upon thousands of rounds through it and it has never ever jammed.

I thought some units of the British Army were issued with Sigs?

Last edited:
I had a 9mm Browning, when I commanded my CR1.
Much better than trying, to get a SA80 out of the turret in a hurry.

Probably a good thing that they're now issuing pistols to our lads, as opposed to just giving them their Primary Weapon System. Just shows how Close-Quarter-Combat has worked its way on to the Afghan battlefield. I thought from what I've watched on the internet and read about is that most fire-fights appear to be mid-range engagements.

Still, a good thing that they're now finally issuing Secondary Weapon Systems, something else to defend yourself with, rather than just a fixed bayonet.

Check out what they're saying about the new issue on ARRSE, some interesting points being made over there...

We've always been issued pistols. The Glock replaces the Browning L9A1 and UOR issued Sig P226.

I'd rather not look at ARRSE. Too many turds there.

Ah, my mistake for being misinformed/ill-knowledgeable about this subject! :p I suppose experience with the weapon is needed before being able to provide information on it.

Can you elaborate further why you prefer the Sig over the Glock?

It's already in use by both UKSF and a few units in Afghanistan. The Sig is better quality. The Glock has no safety. Plus I've always been a Sig fan.

Last edited:
I wonder who they will sell the old ones too?.
Anyone think of a large country, that lets their citizens, have lots of guns ?;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well we all know that the MOD's like. I'll bet they'll do something stupid like usual.

I would of gone with the sig as it is already in service. There is nothing wrong with the glock. It's standard issue for cops here which I know quite a number of and to quote one of the wimens cop I know quite well.." Unless you are a limp wristed pussy the glock isn't going to fail you."

I had a 9mm Browning, when I commanded my CR1.
Much better than trying, to get a SA80 out of the turret in a hurry.

The Browning is a wonderful firearm, but being single action it is rarely if ever carried one up or cocked and locked. Usually its carried what we term as "Israeli carry", that's to say empty chamber, hammer at rest with a full magazine.

I carried my both Browning and Colt 45ACP 1911 cocked and locked, its far quicker bringing it into operation then Israeli carry.

Everyone's used a Browning! :lol:

Been getting issued since WW2?

Its one of the few firearms that can handle British issue high pressure 9mm Parabellum Mk2Z ammunition. Indeed the Browning has been used since WW2, its a brilliant bit of kit, even though it has a weird magazine safety/trigger/hammer system.

Anyone think of a large country, that lets their citizens, have lots of guns ?;)

After a diet of British Mk2Z ammunition all their working lives, you can bet your life they have been shot loose. As a matter of interest a chap in UK fired Mk2Z ammunition out of his P08 (otherwise known as a "Luger"), the rear pin sheared off securing the action to the frame and took a lump out of his face.

Last edited:

If its anything like the time the got rid of the SLR then most will be sent to the grinders.

I think they went with the Glock because nearly all Police ARVs use them.

Back