The new roll of a US Army Forward Observer

Duty Honor Country

A few of you know that I have recently returned from 3 weeks of training down in Ft. Polk, LA. My Brigade spent 7 days "in the box" doing Iraq specific training. Normally, as an FO (forward observer), my sole purpose in any training exercise is fire support for the infantry. Artillery mortars, close air support, attack helicopters and naval gun fire are all included in fire support. Along with fire support, FOs will now be responsible for reporting on Civil Affair type stuff. We use the acronym SWEAT MS CREG

S sewage
W water
E electric
A academics
T trash
M medical
S security
C communication
R religion
E economy
G government

We are to report the status of everyithng stated above to the FSO (fire support officer) who sends the info higher up. None of us really like this new roll. We have been told this is how it is going to be when we go back to Iraq.

redleg, what do you think?

So do you use yer bino's to find traffic congestion, and possible power line over loads?

FO to Civil Affairs huh. Okey Dokey. Sorry man. Are you at least gettin an MOS modifier outta the deal? Ya know like a secondary of Urban Condition/ Utiltity/ and Socio Economic Observer?

Mother of mercy, it's looking like more fun all the time. By the way, SGT, that is without a doubt the longest acronym I have ever seen. :lol:

03USMC said:
So do you use yer bino's to find traffic congestion, and possible power line over loads?

FO to Civil Affairs huh. Okey Dokey. Sorry man. Are you at least gettin an MOS modifier outta the deal? Ya know like a secondary of Urban Condition/ Utiltity/ and Socio Economic Observer?

Since you inquired, my laser range finder sat near the bottom of my ruck for the entire mission. The only thing artillery related that I did at Polk was try to locate the 82mm mortars that were harassing us and the town we were occupying. I located a firing point that was only 300 meters away, the infantry did not send anyone to see what I had found. :?

None of us have taken kindly to the new roll. It seems the Army is just throwing this at the FOs. If they were to do it right, the Army would at least give us some training on the aspects of public relations. From what I have seen, combat arms are great at killing and destroying and not very effective at anything PR related. Do you think Forward observer and PR observer would be acceptable to the Army? I can e-mail it to the ARTY Corps and see what they think.

Redneck said:
Mother of mercy, it's looking like more fun all the time. By the way, SGT, that is without a doubt the longest acronym I have ever seen. :lol:

It definitely beats the 9 line medevac and Close Air Support transmissions. I amused myself in watching my LT call that beast of a report up to higher.

Back