New and representing the 535th Anti Aircraft Artillery-Automatic Weapons Battalion

I don't know if anyone is still around here, but I just found this forum and topic.

In the box of letters that my dad sent back to his parents while serving in Korea, I found a bunch of letters from Cpl. Clarence F Miller, who was in Btry C of the 535th AAA Bn. The letters I have found are from dates of around spring 44 through summer 45. The letters from 44 are from the base in the UK. The ones from 45 are from Germany in April/May or so, and later 45 from back in France.

The most interesting part to me is where he talks of his experience in Germany and the interactions with the German civilians. Note that the dates run from right before VE Day until after. One of the letters is dated something like May 17, or so, so right after VE Day. He talks about how they are skeptical of the claims that Hitler is dead, and how the German children were afraid of them because the Nazis told them that the Americans would chop their heads off.

It's all very real, because these were letters written right there while it was happening, and not just memories.

One thing that has me puzzled, however, is that I have not been able to figure out how he and my grandparents knew each other. My grandma has been dead more than 40 years now, but I asked my 93 year old uncle, who would have been living with Grandma and Grandpa at the time, and he has no idea who this was. I've also checked with genealogical records for my area, and can't find him there.

I'd like to find his family, because they may be interested. He talks about breaking off his engagement to "Marie" due to uncertainty about the future, and I'm dying to know whatever became of it - did he marry Marie or not?

If anyone can help me out with any recollection of Cpl Clarence F Miller, Btry C, I would appreciate it. I don't expect it, though.

On the other hand, if anyone is interested, I would be happy to post some of the letters and see what you all have to say about them. I have probably a couple dozen letters that he wrote.

I admit I haven't read most of them. To be honest, most of them are pretty boring, and just talk about crops and the weather. No surprise, of course, because I'm sure he wasn't going to be providing too many details. My Dad's letters from Korea are very similar, and he's told me that was on purpose, because he didn't want to tell his folks too much about what was really going on.

Paul

I am always interested in reading these things as they give an insight into the thinking at the time.

I don't know if anyone is still around here, but I just found this forum and topic.

In the box of letters that my dad sent back to his parents while serving in Korea, I found a bunch of letters from Cpl. Clarence F Miller, who was in Btry C of the 535th AAA Bn. The letters I have found are from dates of around spring 44 through summer 45. The letters from 44 are from the base in the UK. The ones from 45 are from Germany in April/May or so, and later 45 from back in France.

The most interesting part to me is where he talks of his experience in Germany and the interactions with the German civilians. Note that the dates run from right before VE Day until after. One of the letters is dated something like May 17, or so, so right after VE Day. He talks about how they are skeptical of the claims that Hitler is dead, and how the German children were afraid of them because the Nazis told them that the Americans would chop their heads off.

It's all very real, because these were letters written right there while it was happening, and not just memories.

One thing that has me puzzled, however, is that I have not been able to figure out how he and my grandparents knew each other. My grandma has been dead more than 40 years now, but I asked my 93 year old uncle, who would have been living with Grandma and Grandpa at the time, and he has no idea who this was. I've also checked with genealogical records for my area, and can't find him there.

I'd like to find his family, because they may be interested. He talks about breaking off his engagement to "Marie" due to uncertainty about the future, and I'm dying to know whatever became of it - did he marry Marie or not?

If anyone can help me out with any recollection of Cpl Clarence F Miller, Btry C, I would appreciate it. I don't expect it, though.

On the other hand, if anyone is interested, I would be happy to post some of the letters and see what you all have to say about them. I have probably a couple dozen letters that he wrote.

I admit I haven't read most of them. To be honest, most of them are pretty boring, and just talk about crops and the weather. No surprise, of course, because I'm sure he wasn't going to be providing too many details. My Dad's letters from Korea are very similar, and he's told me that was on purpose, because he didn't want to tell his folks too much about what was really going on.

Paul

Nothing about the letters ( to me) is boring. My Dad served in WWll also. Honestly wish I had some correspondence, like you do. I'm not entirely sure exactly where my father went. Have a good idea though. I have some of his service records.
Glad you are here.

Dadsgirl
P.s. folks here are most helpful and friendly

Last edited:
Nothing about the letters ( to me) is boring.

I understand, and don't disagree much, but I will tell you that a lot of consists of "How are your crops doing? I hope you have had good weather" and a half page variation on that theme. Nah, it's pretty boring. He does talk about some of the local farmers in France at a couple points, and mentions their lack of equipment, which is better.

As I noted, there is significance in what he doesn't say, and the lack of details, but a lot of what is said doesn't say much. Again, I don't blame him or anything. Of course, it is also a case being that the interesting letters are so amazingly cool that it's not even a fair comparison.

I'll see if I can find the earliest letter and start writing them up, unless someone has a request for a specific time frame. As I said, the first seems to be early 44 and it goes through late summer of 45 at least, although I haven't dug through the box completely. I'm also working on typing up all my Dad's old letters, and that is a more extensive project, because there are hundreds.

Is there a better forum section where I should create the thread that might be more appropriate? I'll put them in a thread by themselves instead of here.

Probably the WW1/WW2 forum.

Yeah, that's what I'm figuring. Thanks everyone for you input.

This mystery is really fun. From a letter I found, it appears he knew my Grandma's sister and their mom, but as a result of a visit. So I don't know actually where he was from.

When I get a chance, I start a thread on the WW2 forum.

Here is a map (given to members of the Bn) of the travels of the 535th during WW2

picture2320.jpg

Hello all. My dad was in the 535th. Omer Marron. I have a diary and map that he had in his possession. I shared with Paul via email that a group out of Columbus, Ne is looking to put a memorial on Utah Beach. Is my quest to attend 75th anniversary on June 6, 2019. Here is article that I thought was interesting.

http://www.omaha.com/news/military/...888-004f-5567-8c17-d6182821bbc1.html?mode=jqm

Dad died 6 years ago at 88. He received a Purple Heart after being wounded at Bulge. Proud of Dad and all those who fought and continue to fight to defend our freedom.

Help on identifying uniform with 535

Hey Ray. I have a picture of my grandfather. He passed away when I was about 6. My family has this photograph of him and all we know about his military service is that he was in d day and in the army. I noticed the 535 patch on his uniform and was wondering if this is indeed the same unit your grandfather was in. Or if it's a different 535. I'm not sure how to upload it to this forum but I can email it to you. My email is joshtaylor44t@gmail.com if you or anyone else can help me identify this uniform and patch.

I would suggest putting a copy of the photo on photobucket and then linking it here and I am sure someone can help you.

Hi Ray, my wife's uncle, Lt Robert J McCray, was in A Battery in the 535th AAA. He was KIA on 21 Dec 1944 from German artillery while in position with the unit. Earl Wheeler

535 AAA Information

Greetings, I'm new to this site and found it by chance this afternoon.

My name is Ray Fernandez, and last year I had the honor of being selected by the Veterans, as the President of the 535th Anti Aircraft Artillery - Automatic Weapons Battalion.

The 535th AAA participated in the D-Day landings on Utah Beach, fought in the Battle of the Bulge along side the 99th Infantry (Checkerboard), at the Remagen Bridge, and many other battles. My father, Ray Sr, was assigned to the 535th AAA, A Battery, 7th Gun Section.

We hold yearly reunions for the Vets and I hope, thru this site, to contact others that have ties to the 535th. There are many Vets out there that may not know these reunions exist.

If you have a family member that served with the 535th, or was assigned to a unit that fought along side them, or know of the family members of a deceased member that are researching, please contact me.

God Bless our Veterans

Ray

Ray, I would appreciate your contact to me at VTCC75@yahoo.com. My wife's uncle was Lt Robert J McCray who was in A Battery of the 535th AAA. He was kia on 21 Dec 1944 and received the Bronze Star posthumously for actions taken on 17 Dec 1944. Do you have any information on him or what was happening that day and what the 535th was doing on the 21st? I would also appreciate any contact information for anyone who may have been in Battery A. My wife and I are planning a trip later this year to Germany and are including a visit to Henri-Chapelle American Military Cemetery. Anything you can do would be incredibly helpful.

Thanks,

Earl

Back