NEW PREAMBLE TO THE CONSTITUTION

Thats the Declaration of Independence, not the US Constitution. The Declaration of Independence is merely a letter of Intent to George III, and while its historically significant it has no bearing in the Governance of the United States. In other words, the only document that counts is the US constitution.

But the Declaration seems to support my argument. Now where does the Declaration refer to the Christian God, it refers only to 'The Laws of Nature' and 'Natures God'. If you read that phrase within its context, its referring to a 'higher power', not a religion. As I said, a 'God' doesn't necessary mean a deity, it only means a 'higher power/being'. Therefore the "Big Bang" Theory could be a 'God' as well. So could aliens from outer space if you believe in Scientology.

Isn't it remarkable that given all the opportunities the Founding Fathers had to pubically endorse Christianity (or any religion) at *any* level within the public frame of the US government, the Founding Fathers went out of their way to avoid doing so? The Declaration or the Constitution could have just said 'God' or even 'Jesus' and the point would be made, but they never do, and that omission is too great to be a coincidence.

Last edited:
Missileer

The Founding Fathers came from many different backgrounds, many different countries of origin and many different faiths.

I don't deny that some, perhaps most, were men of religous faith, but some were not. Nor do I think the term "supreme being" is an acknowledgment of any faith. Some might have acknowledged a higher power but not necessarily as a deity.

But regardless of what their personal views were, the fact that they went out of their way to keep these personal views out of the crafting of the consitutution is unmistakeable.

All references to "God" in US Government such as "under God" or "In God we trust" were added much later, which is unfortunate as it created a string of problems.

Actually, this is the part I was referring to as being wrong. But also, remember most of the who formed our Republic were intelligent enough to know where and when to mention God without making any laws supporting worship of any kind.

As far as the religious background of the framers of the Constitution, there isn't a lot known but here is one article.

http://www.usconstitution.net/constframedata.html#rkey

Congregationalist - 7
Deists - 3
Dutch Reformed - 2
Episcopal - 25
Lutheran - 1
Methodist - 2
Presbyterian - 9
Quaker/Episcopal - 2
Presbyterian/Episcopal - 1
Quaker/Lutheran - 1
Presbyterian/Deist - 1
Episcopal/Deist - 1

http://www.wsu.edu/~dee/GLOSSARY/DEISM.HTM
Deism-

The philosophes of mid-eighteenth century France developed this mechanistic view of the universe into a radically revised version of Christianity they called deism . Drawing on Newton's description of the universe as a great clock built by the Creator and then set in motion, the deists among the philosophes argued that everything—physical motion, human physiology, politics, society, economics—had its own set of rational principles established by God which could be understood by human beings solely by means of their reason. This meant that the workings of the human and physical worlds could be understood without having to bring religion, mysticism, or divinity into the explanation. The Deists were not atheists; they simply asserted that everything that concerned the physical and human universes could be comprehended independently of religious concerns or explanations.

Last edited:
I like the amendments. Just one more to add:

Stupidity generates its own rewards. Don't cry and moan when the results happen to you.

Back