New party in South Africa mounts challenge to ANC (AP)

News Manager

Milforums News Bot
AP - A splinter group of prominent African National Congress politicians launched a new party Tuesday in the first major challenge to the movement since it took power nearly 15 years ago after toppling South Africa's apartheid government.

More...

The elections next year are going to be very interesting. For the first time since 1994 the ANC could very well lose their parliamentary majority of 70%. The new party COPE, threatens to halve ANC support, resulting in a hung parliament which in turn will result in coalitions between the major players.

The ANC know full well they are losing ground and support, COPE conferences have been disrupted by ANC supporters leading to limited violence. However, during the actual elections in 2009 there is a serious threat of violence, disruptions and intimidation.

I would never have believed that the ANC would lose such massive support in my lifetime, the past couple of months has been an eye opener.

Its going to be very interesting indeed.

It's unfortunate that at almost every turn, African leaders have let their people down. They may have freed their people but haven't been proving themselves good at maintaining or improving their countries.
Either that or the success stories just aren't hitting the news.

It's unfortunate that at almost every turn, African leaders have let their people down. They may have freed their people but haven't been proving themselves good at maintaining or improving their countries.
Either that or the success stories just aren't hitting the news.

I have had many blacks tell me that they were far better off under apartheid. The majority of black governments in Africa dont give a toss about their people, all they are concerned about is personal wealth and self enrichment. Mugabe for example is the 7th richest man in the world, at what cost? The cost we are seeing today.

Back