New Orleans crisis - Bush's fault?

I'm not sure what is really going on in American interior politics, but are Democrats and Republican 'Rebels' blaming Bush for the hurricane Katrina and stuff? Because that would be ridiculous.

Bush holds a lot of the blame. If we're paying 30-50% of everything we make in taxes, the one thing the government had BETTER be able to do is keep me safe!

All this 'new' homeland security department seems to have done is make Americans even less safe. If they can't save us from wind and water, what the hell makes you think they're going to be able to help us when it's a chemical or nuclear disaster?

Katrina more than anything else, has shown us how incompetent the Bush administration really is in keeping us safe.

WOW.
I never expected to hear anything like that from you. You caught me completely off guard here.

If you have read any of my previous messages in Political Discussions, you'd probably know that I'm no Bush fan but...
Okay, maybe help was sent in too late. But some people actually made it seem like Bush's not signing the Kyoto protocol was responsible for this mess (even though I think he should've signed it to avoid, or at least postpone trouble that will only arise in several decades anyway).

Oh, that's just rediculous. It doesn't take "global warming" or an "angry god who hates the gays" to explain what happened in New Orleans.

You've got a city built below sea level in the middle of the most active hurricaine region on the globe. It has been very well known in America that this kind of disaster was likely in New Orleans, it's just that you don't really ever "believe" that it will actually occour.

The real fault is that we've got a department to keep our "homeland secure" that seems to be even worse at doing its job than what we had BEFORE 9/11. Bush's poll numbers took a dive after Katrina because we voted for a president who could keep us safe from terrorists and he can't even keep us safe from wind and water we saw comming out for A WEEK before it even hit. You think terrorists are going to be kind enough to tell us a week before they detonate a nuke to go ahead and get ready for the fallout over Los Angeles? So I'll say it again, if they can't keep us safe from wind and water what makes you think they can keep us safe from nuclear and chemical attacks?

I don't know about anyone else but if I'm warned to leave for a week by NOAA weather experts, I don't wait for a President, Governor, Mayor, City council, or anyone, I leave. But then I'm a realist, I believe that 175 mph winds and 50 ft waves can kill me.

Mohmar Deathstrike said:
I'm not sure what is really going on in American interior politics, but are Democrats and Republican 'Rebels' blaming Bush for the hurricane Katrina and stuff? Because that would be ridiculous.

They are not blaming him for Katrina per se, but for the slow and inept reply of his administration in the aftermath. But, that having been said, I have to agree with Missileer, I would have left New Orleans pronto too.

What one must remember is those residents who stayed couldnt leave. Some were too poor, others were physically unable. The biggest failure of the local government was its failure to evacuate those residents who couldnt evacuate by themselves.

mmarsh said:
What one must remember is those residents who stayed couldnt leave. Some were too poor, others were physically unable. The biggest failure of the local government was its failure to evacuate those residents who couldnt evacuate by themselves.

I don't have enough information to quote sources here, but there were also many who have been through so many hurricanes that they ignored the warnings because they've heard them for 50 years or more. The parishes should have had information from hospitals and nursing homes on file and I believe that they did and were capable of moving the incapacitated. I've worked in and around New Orleans and it's a different world down there. It's been a place for some people to remain anonymous for 300 years. It's just hard to put into words, you have to be there for awhile.

mmarsh said:
That is not quite true. Many who stayed "wanted to ride it out".
I do agree that the state and city governments have a huge share of the blame to bear. The blame is only that of not doing everything possible early enough to ensure the evacuation of the city. The fact of the matter is that storms of this magnitude have been predicted as far back as I can remember.
I don't think FEMA could have done much more than what they did before the storm hit. If they had moved relief supplies into the city any earlier they would only have lost those supplies, vehicles, and perhaps personel to the storm. That would have helped nobody.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing and it's quite easy for those who have not experienced hurricanes to say they would have stocked enough supplies to last thier family for x amount of time. But, the reality is that those supplies would have been lost to the storm anyway.
The federal government, other than one agency (FEMA) had little to do with anything regarding that storm. The governor of LA waited way too long to allow the additional resources into the state (yes in this country, the Federals governement needs a state's permission)and the city officials allowed people back in way too early.
New Orleans is recovering. I believe the establishments on Burbon Street hardly missed a beat.
Katrina was not President Bush's fault, FEMA not being allowed into the area soon enough was not the president's fault. New Orleans being built below sea level was not his fault either, nor was the fact that some people refused to leave when told to do so.
Whispering Death said:
Bush holds a lot of the blame. If we're paying 30-50% of everything we make in taxes, the one thing the government had BETTER be able to do is keep me safe!
What in the name of sanity would you have "the government" do, huff and puff and blow the strom away? Please, Katrina was an act of nature. What does how much you pay in taxes have to do with the weather? I don't see any logic in that statement, sorry guy!
Whispering Death said:
Katrina more than anything else, has shown us how incompetent the Bush administration really is in keeping us safe.
What Katrina should have shown us is that we are at the mercy of nature no matter where we live. What we ought to take away from all this is that we need to be personally prepared with a realistic plan for our own protection and not depend on "the government" to literally bail us out every time. We need to stop looking for handouts and start become much more self-reliant. Americans a free to do as they wish and the choice is up to each and every one of us, heed the warnings or suffer the consequences of being ill-prepared.
Missileer said:
I don't know about anyone else but if I'm warned to leave for a week by NOAA weather experts, I don't wait for a President, Governor, Mayor, City council, or anyone, I leave. But then I'm a realist, I believe that 175 mph winds and 50 ft waves can kill me.
Amen to that, at least one common sense way of looking at this in my opinion.
Just my 2 cents worth.

What was the amount of death people by the Katrina? I remember that they were talking about 10.000 deads...

There's something else the rest of the country and even the world doesn't realize about "Cajuns". The families there that go back to when the Acadians first arrived are tough people. I know and love many of them. A lot of my family live in Mississippi and have struggled many years to make a living and raise their kids. But, if you ask anyone from the delta country why they stay, they look at you like you're crazy. It's home.

Corocotta said:
What was the amount of death people by the Katrina? I remember that they were talking about 10.000 deads...

I heard it was more like 20 billion.

Mod edit: Warning: Do not continue to post meanigless comments such as this that do not contribute anything to the thread.

Mohmar Deathstrike said:
Corocotta said:

I heard it was more like 20 billion.

What you heard was ridiculous. The Entire population of the USA is less than 300 million. Italian Guy gave you some figures, why do you have to persist in this kind of senseless post when the facts are known?

DTOP

I agree with everything you said except for 1 point, I do think Bush bares some responisibility in the slowness of FEMA's response after the hurricane passed. How is that Bush fault? Because nominated Michael Brown. Cronism is one thing (that goes back to the days of Washington), but to put a person so unqualified as the head of FEMA shows total lack of responisbility and real show of contempt for the organisation as a whole.

Frankly I was surprised, for a president who keeps reminding us of the horrors of 9-11 you would think he would show more ethuisasm to making sure an organization such as FEMA would have the best and the brightest.

Mmarsh is stating the obvious.

DTop isn't even responding to what I wrote.

My point is, if the government can't respond to a disaster like a hurricaine that we have multiple ones every year hit our coast... how can we expect the same "Homeland Security" department to respond to a nuclear attack?

You can't respond to water in New Orleans what makes you think they're going to be able to respond to radiation in Dallas or Mustard Gas in Chicago or Small Pox in New York?

It's F*ing WATER that we saw comming for 7 days in advance!

The reason I'm so harsh on the Bush admin. about Katrina is because that was the moment he lost me. I voted for a president who would keep me safe from a cabal of islamafacists that are the most evil men on the planet and now I find out he can't keep people safe from water.

Back