New military rifle concept?

I do not know about the Tokarev round due to the fact that I have never fired a weapon in that caliber, but I can advise the Winchester WSSM series of cartridges in a couple of different calibers. Also another varminting round that may work against people is the .204 Ruger with its tiny .204 bullet flying at over 4000 feet per second at the muzzle. Hell, it should work its not that much smaller than the .223 bullets currently in use.

I have to admit, I've never heard of a .204 ruger. Do you know the exact exterior dimensions on this round? What kinda bullet mass are we talking about? I have to say 4000 fps does sound crazy - if you can get a bullet more or less like the AK74 round, it should be lethal as well.

scar_l-1.jpg

I wonder when our boys started using this, nice weapon, but I like the .50 cal gun I've been seeing around lately.

the gun I've been seeing around was the SR-25
lg_knight-lg.jpg

I'm imagining where the 2nd weapon would really come in handy and all I'm comming up with is MOUT where a bigger gun can be problematic. If that's the case then why not just use the XM-8 combined with a machine pistol like the Glock model 18? 3 weapons would be a mess, training, logistics, and no matter how light it weighs FOR A RIFEL you're still lugging around another rifel plus DOUBLE your ammo weight.

Besides, I can't see anyone switching around weapons or fumbling with wich ammo to reload which weapon in a heated combat situation.

Heh, I'd have it like:

Primary: Barret M468
Secondary: Dynamit Nobel PzF-3 IT600
Sidearm: TsNIITochMash SPS

Look 'em up yourself. To me, carrying two rifles makes little to no sense, especially considering the fact that one cartridge (6.8 SPC) works equally well at close and long range.

It all sounds fine but have you ever carried three weapons and all the ammunition and magazines that you need for them for about 50 miles over rough terrain for a few days. If you had you would have know doubt given up this idea, normally one weapon will you nicely and all you have to do is keep it clean.

The FN-P90 and H&K PDW/MP7 fall into what you are thinking. But the carrying of two different rifles doens't work. You have your main weapon.

RIFlE

And your back up weapon.

PISTOL / SMG

The FN-P90 fall in between a rifle and SMG, while the H&K PDW/MP7 fall between a pisotl and SMG. Carrying a different rifle even if lighter still weighs you down. Plus ammo, magazines, cleaning kit, and everything else. And the 5.7x28mm SS190 is not a uncommon round. Many militaries and police forces are adopting the FN-P90 and it's cartridge. Also, the 5.7x28mm caliber is becoming popular in civilian shooting circles. I know, I sell out of that ammo all the time.

Now the H&K PDW/MP7 is a little harder. It's brand new. And so is the caliber. It's the only weapon chambered in that caliber. But who knows, maybe someone will chamber it is a pistol. Hell, maybe some folks out there are already wild cating that round and chambering it in FN Five-seveN pistols.

Well, the reason I brought this up here is because I had to carry a darn FAL around for a goot 10K's a day and didn't like it one bit - but I also realised that while the FAL is great for long to medium range encounters, it is not so great for very close range work - except to smash stuff with.
I tend to agree with 5.56x45 - get something like a FAL as a primary and then go either Glock 18, Beretta 93 or HK MP7 for secondary/close in.

Personally, I don't find fault with a Primary Battlerifle and a secondary weapon such as a pistol - be it semi or FA, but I brought this up because of some issues I noticed during my time in service. Maybe it's time to find a happy medium in a battlerifle/AR cartridges....

3 weapons = Terrible idea

That is 2 more weapons than you need.
It just means;
3 Lots of different ammo
3 Cleaning kits
etc etc etc

You should have a basic weapon for each member of a section. A side arm if you are so inclined, and at most the section weapons shared out (like the LAW and claymores).

No need to give each person 3 individual weapons. It's not a computer game, it's the real world.

* salutes officers after coming to the posion of attention then stands at ease *

3 weapons is not a good idea in my book , the M16 is a great happy medium weapon effective up to 800 meters , if you want heavy covering fire and support , the SAW gun , ( basicly a fully auto M16 ) shoots the same caliber of ammunition as the M16 , and you also have the M203 & M203A1 40mm grenade luanchers , sometimes an imfantryman's best friend when he can't charge in for getting chewed up by an AK-47 , thenpreffered weapon of your current enemy . The M9 is also an option , a great side arm also , you shouldn't have to pick up ammo off an enemy , you should already have the support and ammunition coming to you , the infantry troops ....

* COMes to position of attention , salutes the officers , does an about face , out of the thread *

This is where the Bullpup design comes into it's own, it gives you compact weapon with range and hitting power.

Bushmaster M-17s (USA)

bushmaster-m17s.jpg

Caliber: 5.56 mm (.223 Rem.)
Action: Gas operated, rotating bolt
Overall length: 760mm
Barrel length: 546mm
Weight (w/o mag): 3.72 kg
Maximum Effective Range: 600 meters
Magazine - Accepts all M16/AR15 magazines

Last edited:
Personally for a light medium/long range weapon, i would go for some kind of G36 varient, preferebly the G36C for more medium range. The FN-P90 is one of my personal favorite guns, great for medium to short range. I can see 2 guns, say a long range then a shorter range SMG type weapon, but 3 is way too many to lug around.

PS. My avatar is a picture of a G36C :)

There's nothing wrong with the current M16A4 family of weapons. They will fire every time if fed the right ammo and properly maintained. They are modular, relatively inexpensive, accurate, and reliable (a function of the user).

The ballistic testing I have read indicates that the 5.7mm round remains intact and yaws base forward after a few inches of tissue and continues on a single small track. The .45ACP FMJ round disrupts a far wider permanent wound cavity than the 5.7, the .45 hollow points do even better.

In my opinion, the P90 might be an adequate weapon for pilots in lieu of the MP5 PDW, especially if it came in a more effective caliber or with a better bullet. I do not see it working as a replacement for the M-4 for most support soldiers. It also has very little real estate for mounting any additional hardware, like a light, laser, etc.

The HK 416 is pretty sweet, too. Some buddies of mine (SF) picked up the FN SCAR-L the other day and said it had terrible ergonomics, but they didn't fire it.

If I were going to issue an army their PDWs, I'd simply give the riflemen and grenadiers TAR-21 rifles and give the support troops CTAR-21s or MTAR-21s depending on how much danger they'll be in. MTAR-21 is a VERY small assault rifle.

Back